Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

I'm wondering why anyone would flip this set for double the money.  LEGO already stated this would be a "limited" set.  Why settle for making less than $30 on this set? This set will easily hit the $100 mark after EOL and that will be sooner than later.  This set is a keeper, not a flipper.

I had to offset the cost of those limited edition DeLorean sets I ordered last year ;)  Those are not selling at. all.

What Migration is saying is that I can flip what I have and use that capital to purchase more while there is still time.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Keep the ones you have.  Come up with $30 to buy another.  You will thank me later.

Where did LEGO state that the Rover would be limited?

Catalog

• Like 2

Keep the ones you have.  Come up with $30 to buy another.  You will thank me later.

Catalog

I wonder about this (I flipped one of mine for 40$ in profit - international) but I don't think it will be that limited:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31225306&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

But maybe thats just a red herring.

1) I do this for current income.

Find another set to flip.

2) I don't have the space to store multiple sets.

Sets are very small.

3) it is very easy to pick up a box and ship it.

True, but so what?

4) how limited can a mass produced toy actually be?

See LEGO Architecture Studio

5) hayabusa and mine craft were both limited but LEGO released them multiple times anyway.

I don't believe those sets had these restrictions or were noted as "limited."  Do as you wish, but flipping these potentially limited sets for a $20 profit is a waste of time and resources IMO.

• Like 2

1) I do this for current income.

Find another set to flip.

Not many sets can be doubled up on while still in production.

2) I don't have the space to store multiple sets.

Sets are very small.  

So is my house.

3) it is very easy to pick up a box and ship it.

True, but so what?

And buy another box and ship it too.

4) how limited can a mass produced toy actually be?

See LEGO Architecture Studio

Got me on this one. No Difference between a $30 and $150 set.

5) hayabusa and mine craft were both limited but LEGO released them multiple times anyway.

I don't believe those sets had these restrictions or were noted as "limited."  Do as you wish, but flipping these potentially limited sets for a $20 profit is a waste of time and resources IMO.

Hayabusa was a Japan only release (I may be wrong about that) that went through the roof price wise, then was released worldwide later only to have its price stabalize. Minecraft had a stated run of 10,000 sets. Then another, then another.

My point is simply that there is money to be made now. This set has only been out for 24 days at this point, it sould be around for another month at least. And if a $20-$30 profit is a waste of time on this set then it's a waste of time on any other set as well. See Captian America.

Keep it, flip it. Do whatever fits in with whatever investment stratagy you follow. If I sell this now for $55-$60 plus shipping I am not at all worried that I could have gotten another $30-$40 a year from now because the money I made has already rolled over 3 or 4 times by then.

Dude, do what you want, it`s your money. If you`re satisfied with a quick flip for a couple for bucks, by all means, do it. If you`re going to put in on ebay though, send me the link, I`ll buy it from you at $55-$60, let it sit on my shelf for a bit, then sell.  :thumbsup: Don`t think I would compare Captain America to this one. Yes is had very large gains in a short time, but it also had nearly a full 2 year production run before, and the increase in value was based on supply and demand over a short period. The Rover will likely (actually, I`ll say it will) be a significant gainer over the long term due to a small supply to begin with. Absolutely it will be a worst a $80-$100 set. A best it`s over $100+. 

To me, selling it now just sounds stupid, but then again, if it`s quick money you want, I`ll be happy to trade you some for the set so that I, and the several others here who actually see the bigger picture, can rake in the big money for the long haul. But like I said, it`s your money. 

Sure, you can make a small profit now, but this set is hard to acquire for most investors.  There is a one per household limit and TRU is out.  Are you so certain this set will be available to buy and flip again?  Some sets are meant to be keepers and this is one of them IMO. 

this set is not sold in lego stores, correct? and will not be.

I did not see it at mine a couple weeks back whilst visiting. I asked one of the sales associates and he told me he wasn`t sure if it was going to remain online only or not. So much nicer to hear that as opposed to something else most Lego store employees say, I`ll admit that!  :thumbsup: