Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

It take from this that it is sold out in the US and Canada, and the missing 'temporary' might mean that this is the end of it. Lego won't ship rovers over the ocean, so it might be available in Europe a little longer - which is not so surprising given that this is a US vehicle. I would expect it to be the opposite if Lego decides to also bring out a "Bridget", if that mission will be a success.

Soooo....  What does "sold out" (not temporary) mean for the rover on Lego SAH in US, considering that it is still available in Europe with limit 5? Or we should just give up trying to figure the logic.

It means :money: for flippers ;) Half the fun of this forum is figuring out the rhymes and reasons behind TLG's decisions. If we figure out all of the reasoning, this forum will loose some of its charm :)

bought three, called lego CS the next day to see if they could combine them to save on shipping, they said they'd already gone out, but gave me 200 vip points to make up for it

Kinda surprised they would do that, since they had a limit of one per order.

I bought one for the personal collection, but wouldn't mind getting one or two to sell at a later date.

Bunch of new listings on ebay after that last batch was in stock. Buy it now as low as $52. Just not worth the trouble.

I would advise sitting on these until they get back to $75ish. 

Or just wait in general.

I honestly don't think the demand is there for this set, even compared to the Delorean.  Post EOL, who knows?  Just a gut feeling, after watching the sales on EBay over the past week or so.

I really hate this set. Been trying to dump my three for the last month. I've broken even on the two I sold but I can't shift the last one. I know it's popular and could do well EOL but it's not one I'm going to gamble with. 

Is it the American market that people are targeting when eyeing this set or do people think this set will sell well outside of the States?

I honestly don't think the demand is there for this set, even compared to the Delorean.  Post EOL, who knows? Just a gut feeling, after watching the sales on EBay over the past week or so.

Agreed on the decreased demand, but perhaps it is because it is an online only item, and so far limited to LEGO Shop at Home and TRU at MSRP. The average consumer is not seeing this item in store and I do not think many people even know it exists. I think this will help it fly under the radar and if combined with a lower production run will make this set a big winner in the long run.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

@CB... I still have a good feeling on this set.  It's small and not too expensive to post Worldwide once it's EOL.  There's a lot of NASA fans out there and I'm one of them.

My regret now is wasting a lot of money on CITY sets even at -40%.  Growth appears to have stopped on a lot of these.  Have you noticed that the Garbage Truck has dropped in value after EOL?  I'm going to list all my CITY sets soon to break even and make space for more modulars.

Soooo....  What does "sold out" (not temporary) mean for the rover on Lego SAH in US, considering that it is still available in Europe with limit 5? Or we should just give up trying to figure the logic.

I think that we should give up trying to figure out the logic of Lego's next move.

• Like 1