Retiring Soon - open speculation

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Also available in the UK. A recent eBay buyer who bought one off me for £110, now wants to return it even though it's been opened and built - bloody cheek! It's on one of my smaller accounts so I'll not reply until Monday evening. I suggest a 10% retock fee for a mint set and 25% for an opened set if bags are still sealed and complete, plus THEY pay postage!

5a59ea0d165e5_ScreenShot2018-01-13at11_11_39.png.d9a5f5613e01334c43cc3545bd97c776.png

It goes to show that a set has to be 100% retired for 3 months before it's safe to resell it without risk of return.

Surely you don't have to accept a return? It arrived and was as described. Surely no right to return it. More so having built the thing!

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, andyposterfan said:

Surely you don't have to accept a return? It arrived and was as described. Surely no right to return it. More so having built the thing!

Distance selling rules in the UK apply to eBay Busines Sellers using Buy It Now. The buyer can return it for any reason and the seller has to accept. However, I can levy a 10% restocking fee and buyer pays postage. I won't list anything else until it's been retired for 3 months and I'm in no rush anyway.

I've got one for 75105 which I'm keeping and I can relax once the 14-return window closes next week. I've never had a single LEGO return query until this.

Yup, you have 14 days obligation for online sales but you can argue the case that the goods are now not in new condition and you can also charge a restocking fee plus return postage if the goods are not faulty - enough to dissuade people from returning due to finding it cheaper.

Edited by Val-E

10 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

That sounds crazy. It's the same principle as buying clothes. If you buy them and wear them you dot have right I return unless faulty. With the MF they've gotten what they wanted and used the item. 

14 days to cancel and return purchases made outside shops (online, by phone or mail order)

In the EU you have the right to return these purchases within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind.

The 14-day "cooling off" period does not apply to all purchases. Some of the exemptions are:

• plane and train tickets, as well as concert tickets, hotel bookings, car rental reservations and catering services for specific dates
  • goods and drinks delivered to you by regular delivery – for example delivery by a milkman.
  • goods made to order or clearly personalised – such as a tailor-made suit
  • sealed audio, video or computer software, such as DVDs, which you have unsealed upon receipt.
  • online digital content, if you have already started downloading or streaming it
  • goods bought from a private individual rather than a company - this is your salvation
  • urgent repairs and maintenance contracts – if you call a plumber to repair a leaking shower, you can't cancel the work once you have agreed on the price of the service.

Please note that this list is not exhaustive.

If you buy goods in a shop, you have no EU legal right to return the goods (for exchange or refund) unless the item is faulty. However, many shops voluntarily allow customers to return or exchange goods during a certain time period. Make sure you check the returns policy of the shop where you made your purchase.

The "cooling off" period expires 14 days after the day you received your goods. For service contracts, the "cooling off" period expires 14 days after the day you concluded the contract. If the cooling off period expires on a non-working day, your deadline is extended till the next working day.

Edited by Val-E

2 hours ago, parv1 said:

Looks like a good deal for me

Fire Mech from the Ninjago Movie, says about 38%

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Ninjago-Movie-70615-Fire/dp/B06VVH7PBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515862637&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+mech

What do you guys think, deal or no deal?

Seller has limited the sales to 2 per person.

I, for instance, have bought one yesterday. The very same price.

42 minutes ago, Val-E said:

14 days to cancel and return purchases made outside shops (online, by phone or mail order)

In the EU you have the right to return these purchases within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind.

The 14-day "cooling off" period does not apply to all purchases. Some of the exemptions are:

• plane and train tickets, as well as concert tickets, hotel bookings, car rental reservations and catering services for specific dates
  • goods and drinks delivered to you by regular delivery – for example delivery by a milkman.
  • goods made to order or clearly personalised – such as a tailor-made suit
  • sealed audio, video or computer software, such as DVDs, which you have unsealed upon receipt.
  • online digital content, if you have already started downloading or streaming it
  • goods bought from a private individual rather than a company - this is your salvation
  • urgent repairs and maintenance contracts – if you call a plumber to repair a leaking shower, you can't cancel the work once you have agreed on the price of the service.

Please note that this list is not exhaustive.

If you buy goods in a shop, you have no EU legal right to return the goods (for exchange or refund) unless the item is faulty. However, many shops voluntarily allow customers to return or exchange goods during a certain time period. Make sure you check the returns policy of the shop where you made your purchase.

The "cooling off" period expires 14 days after the day you received your goods. For service contracts, the "cooling off" period expires 14 days after the day you concluded the contract. If the cooling off period expires on a non-working day, your deadline is extended till the next working day.

Assuming that UK implemented the very same EU regulation as other EU countries, the process or returning the goods within 14 days grace period (B2C case) should look like this:

a) private buyer receives distantly ordered goods e.g. on September 1
b ) he/she is not satisfied and wants to return it. Both have to inform the seller 14th day at latest upon receiving the goods. They have to do that in a non-questionable manner (e-mail might, might not count) that they want to cancel the purchase contract. Attention: at this moment they still do not have to ship the goods back to the seller
c) after informing the seller within 14 days since acceptance of the delivery, they have to ship the goods back - the cheapest way possible as not to cause additional damage to the seller
d) they have 14 days to to do so
e) upon acceptance of the returned goods the seller has 30 days for a refund

7 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Yes since yesterday. And why not moved to Retired???

Because they're expecting returns back. I think they've changed their processes slightly after last weeks complaints. If stock is low, you can't add to bag anymore, instead you get the message "Call to check stock availability". I imagine this is now a manual process to stop everyone getting upset (like me) when their orders aren't shipped.

Just now, richiej1979 said:

Because they're expecting returns back. I think they've changed their processes slightly after last weeks complaints. If stock is low, you can't add to bag anymore, instead you get the message "Call to check stock availability". I imagine this is now a manual process to stop everyone getting upset (like me) when their orders aren't shipped.

No, they aren't as confirmed by two guys from S&H. The most returned sets are not in the condition for reselling. Even a tiny mark on the box does exclude it from reselling.

What I can imagine is that there could be some existing stock at S&H which is currently on hold due to unpaid invoices. Also my order with 10 Falcons is still on hold and has been not cancelled so far..

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, mauro23 said:

No, they aren't as confirmed by two guys from S&H. The most returned sets are not in the condition for reselling. Even a tiny mark on the box does exclude it from reselling.

What I can imagine is that there could be some existing stock at S&H which is currently on hold due to unpaid invoices. Also my order with 10 Falcons is still on hold and has been not cancelled so far..

LEGO had no problem sending me crushed and punctured boxes a couple of months back, their quality control has been non-existent recently in my case. I'm at least hoping that LEGO re-box the worst sets. If I order again (not until there's a promo) and it's even slightly damaged, I'll return it in a heartbeat. I'm proud of my entire reselling inventory being 100% mint. I only insist on that because my buyers do. I couldn't care less if sets were packed in brown bags if I was an end user.

I didn't order any Falcons as I can't pay more than £60 for one which is the highest I paid for any of mine, most were £30 from Tesco instore. The only geese worth chasing so far. I know... I don't like Star Wars LEGO, but I'm happy to make a quick quid on anything.

Edited by TabbyBoy

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, famman84 said:

Noticed that Detective's Office and Parisian Restaurant are both on backorder right now.  With the Downtown Diner just coming out, any chance they would be retiring both of those sets?

No chance.  Parisian restaurant will go at end of the year

I do see the Parisian Restaurant retiring during the course of the year would be surprised if Detective's Office were to retire also.  What would be interesting... is to see internal numbers from LEGO, which we won't... but I'm betting both those modulars still outsell the BrickBank, which had a relatively boring design, in comparison to the two former.

Also, at some point down the line, similar other larger modulars, I could see a scenario where Assembly Square retires earlier than the other two seeing as how $279.99 is a harder sell than $159.99.  Time will tell

In Australia we are overloaded with Brick banks, detectives and assembly Sq, but I haven’t seen a Parisian on the shelves in a long time.
Same with the Beetle, easy to find but haven’t seen the Mini Cooper for a while.
I’m guessing these two sets are winding down for retirement this year, but when is anyone’s guess.

5 minutes ago, mtchrs said:

In Australia we are overloaded with Brick banks, detectives and assembly Sq, but I haven’t seen a Parisian on the shelves in a long time.
Same with the Beetle, easy to find but haven’t seen the Mini Cooper for a while.
I’m guessing these two sets are winding down for retirement this year, but when is anyone’s guess.

I have no understanding of AUS market.. but given the interim LEGO report from last year (in which they claimed that the "restart" would mean a complete cleaning of certain markets).. couldnt this go hand in hand with your current situation? like the local distributors tend to pick up "visually appealing" sets they think would be popular with general public (parents, children) compared to the others? 

its no secret that the packing (box art) sells and in this aspect you have to admit that both Brick Bank and Detective's Office are far more better looking (on the picture). 

Edited by crayxlp

19 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

I have no understanding of AUS market.. but given the interim LEGO report from last year (in which they claimed that the "restart" would mean a complete cleaning of certain markets).. couldnt this go hand in hand with your current situation? like the local distributors tend to pick up "visually appealing" sets they think would be popular with general public (parents, children) compared to the others? 

its no secret that the packing (box art) sells and in this aspect you have to admit that both Brick Bank and Detective's Office are far more better looking (on the picture). 

The Australian and New Zealand markets are the bane of LEGO's existence. Our proximity to their major distribution warehouses and the diversity of population,  lack of physical or corporate presence here either through B&M stores or an Australian based call centre makes us a sitting target for inventory reduction. 

I believe, in line with their new stance of inventory management, AUS and NZ will see a lot more of an online only presence of the full range of stock that LEGO has to offer (as we seen with Red Creatures, etc). Our retiring soon will expand with not coming back to your local store again.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

Has anybody seen any xxx8 seal codes on 71006 The Simpsons House yet? I ask as it seems to be struggling to retire and I've seen yet more appear on the higher shelves of Smyths in Farnborough and Reading along with the occasional one at John Lewis. Luckily, I've not had one returned yet ;-)

Shall we now wait say, 3 months to make sure a set has actually retired 100% before the mods update it on the "Retired Products" thread? A friend just ordered another 75105 and it's "In Warehouse" so it's definitely not retired yet. I'd never buy one for £97.99, that's far too much!

• 2 weeks later...