Retiring Soon - open speculation

My 30% off in Europe means US retail.... so yeh... rubbish :)

Dont think everyone has as cheap LEGO as lucky Americans.... 

So no the advice is defo NOT rubbish...

Alcarin, we all know your country is basically worthless for buying lego sets. You don't get any deals at all and that is tough, but now again, I was not talking about 30% off deals in Slovenia.  I am talking about my business here in the USA which is much different than what you deal with.  Sadly most of the stuff we talk about here doesn't really apply to you because you can't get the same deals.   There are plenty of good deals to be had though on Amazon for the different European sites.  All is not lost all the time.

• Like 1

Alcarin, we all know your country is basically worthless for buying lego sets. You don't get any deals at all and that is tough, but now again, I was not talking about 30% off deals in Slovenia.  I am talking about my business here in the USA which is much different than what you deal with.  Sadly most of the stuff we talk about here doesn't really apply to you because you can't get the same deals.   There are plenty of good deals to be had though on Amazon for the different European sites.  All is not lost all the time.

I was not talking about Slovenia at all... more about Europe....  30% off deals in EUROPE mostly mean US RETAIL prices also you know....   I can buy Pirate Ship Ambush right now for 79.99

All the LR set are 30% at the Lego Store yesterday.  They are being cleared out to make room for the Lego Movies set.  Get them while they are still around.

I am waiting for the set to hit clearance after Christmas in Target, Walmart, and K-Mart. Hopefully, I can pick some up then. If I can't, oh well.

I am waiting for the set to hit clearance after Christmas in Target, Walmart, and K-Mart. Hopefully, I can pick some up then. If I can't, oh well.

Same here Martin - I hope these are 50% clearance around me.

It's a shame really the movie flopped - these are nicely done sets...very well designed and high playability. My son loves the LR sets!

• Like 2

Lego maybe 30% higher in Europe but the after market is also that much higher. So you can still make a decent profit on some sets.

The difference varies from set to set of course :)

I believe Americans market is far stronger and superior to Europe one....  Besides limiting my potential buyers to Europe only hurts my own sale potential....

Sure there are a couple of sets (probably less than 10) who see amazing discounts in Europe (Dragon Fortress from new Castle line comes to mind with sale price of 20

30% off is also a good deal for us parter-outers. Those individual bricks and bits are all worth something in a Bricklink store.

Don't do it if you want to part it out for minfiigs and then the set itself. Lone Ranger moves slower than Chima. For that reason, I am not doing a whole lot of Lone Ranger Investing.

Your advice is rubbish.  Totally disagree with you.  I'll take 30% off any set, any day.  I don't need to sell it tomorrow, I can hold it for a while.

I think the reason people react that way towards you - besides your point about Jeff - is that you obviously don't know how to live by the adage "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

That has nothing to do with disagreeing with people or with being critical. Both of those are fine. there is just a better way to say things. If you look at what Jeff said, he asked for him to consider other points of view. You said "your advice is rubbish". I don't care if Jeff is satan, He sounds more credible.

When you respond in that manner, you are only hurting your own opinion, not anyone elses.

I don't care what you say on the forum, but if you want to know why people react like that - that's why :)

Don't do it if you want to part it out for minfiigs and then the set itself. Lone Ranger moves slower than Chima. For that reason, I am not doing a whole lot of Lone Ranger Investing.

I think the reason people react that way towards you - besides your point about Jeff - is that you obviously don't know how to live by the adage "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

That has nothing to do with disagreeing with people or with being critical. Both of those are fine. there is just a better way to say things. If you look at what Jeff said, he asked for him to consider other points of view. You said "your advice is rubbish". I don't care if Jeff is satan, He sounds more credible.

When you respond in that manner, you are only hurting your own opinion, not anyone elses.

I don't care what you say on the forum, but if you want to know why people react like that - that's why :)

DNIM, listen, he drew first blood with his "rubbish" comment.  I was reacting to that.  I was not being negative at all.  Don't jump down my throat as a saint here.  Please reread the thread before jumping on me.

DNIM, listen, he drew first blood with his "rubbish" comment.  I was reacting to that.  I was not being negative at all.  Don't jump down my throat as a saint here.  Please reread the thread before jumping on me.

He said it about sets - you said it about him. Just more in general - not being a saint or anything else. You generally wonder why people react that way to your comments - its because you are pretty abrasive most of the time. You questioned why he acted that way, I gave you a reason.

Pretty sure if you reread what I said, I said it pretty nicely and wasn't jumping on you at all. If you hadn't questioned why he reacted that way, I wouldn't have answered. If you feel justified, more power to you.

Same here Martin - I hope these are 50% clearance around me.

It's a shame really the movie flopped - these are nicely done sets...very well designed and high playability. My son loves the LR sets!

I agree, the sets are nicely done and are well designed. Even if the movie, flopped, these sets are still great. Plus, there are western themed sets so they might be worth a pretty penny one day.

The sets definitely have some good parts and are really made well. But the inability of the minifigures to sell really bothers me. From my point of view, most sets in licensed themes are half defined by their minifigures. The Lone Ranger ones don't sell at all. Not even Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Furthermore, silvermine doesn't sell worth crap as a set itself. I think the StageCoach and Constitution Train both have some merit because of what they are. I have one of the trains to build (I am selling all the track and minifigures because I don't want it).

Other than that, I am just wondering who, 2 years down the road, is going to be looking for these sets? Maybe someone can make a good argument. Now in the short term, once they go retired a few people may freak out and go after them and the price will go up, but I don't know how much long term success they could have.

Has there been a similar theme and movie flop someone can think of? I mean, Prince of persia - but that failed miserably and I think it might have even been more desirable being egypt type stuff.

Edit: I guess to add to this, while I think 30% off is a solid discount on any set, I still don't know that I would bite there to invest in them

Well I got 15 stagecoaches from Kmart 50% clearance, got them for $13 each........ I have not been able to sell them in Mexico for $35,I guess I will store them for the US market.....by the way if anyone has Black pearls, send me a PM...

This is an example of somewhere were I would definitely bite. can't lose here.

The best bet for these longer term is some sort of a show aimed at kids with a Western theme. Doesn't even have to be LR. I don't think kids these days play cowboys and Indians like we did when we were kids (I am 37). They play Star Wars, or ninjas, or super heroes. So I think this theme relies on AFOL who want to build western scenes, and I think those are going to be pretty rare. I personally love the train and the stagecoach, and have two of each, but that is it.

He said it about sets - you said it about him. Just more in general - not being a saint or anything else. You generally wonder why people react that way to your comments - its because you are pretty abrasive most of the time. You questioned why he acted that way, I gave you a reason.

Pretty sure if you reread what I said, I said it pretty nicely and wasn't jumping on you at all. If you hadn't questioned why he reacted that way, I wouldn't have answered. If you feel justified, more power to you.

I was only giving my opinion about the investment part. I should've made myself clear. The stagecoach is cool and I like it. From an investment perspective, money is better spent elsewhere. I could be wrong but let's see where LR sets go after a few years. I got all the LR sets except for that teepee. My money is heavier on LOTR, super heroes, modulars and technics. LR is nothing more than a buy one to three sets, hold and perhaps collect some dust. A lot of Star Wars sets are also dust collectors and floor space hoggers.

I believe Americans market is far stronger and superior to Europe one....  Besides limiting my potential buyers to Europe only hurts my own sale potential....

Sure there are a couple of sets (probably less than 10) who see amazing discounts in Europe (Dragon Fortress from new Castle line comes to mind with sale price of 20

The best bet for these longer term is some sort of a show aimed at kids with a Western theme. Doesn't even have to be LR. I don't think kids these days play cowboys and Indians like we did when we were kids (I am 37). They play Star Wars, or ninjas, or super heroes. So I think this theme relies on AFOL who want to build western scenes, and I think those are going to be pretty rare. I personally love the train and the stagecoach, and have two of each, but that is it.

You are correct with your point. Kids do not play cowboys and Indians these days. They are more geared to ninjas and superheros. This theme relies on people who did play cowboys and Indians when they were kids or the people who liked old western movies. Those people would like these sets because that is what they grew up with.

You are correct with your point. Kids do not play cowboys and Indians these days. They are more geared to ninjas and superheros. This theme relies on people who did play cowboys and Indians when they were kids or the people who liked old western movies. Those people would like these sets because that is what they grew up with.

I've been selling LR sets locally here, and you are correct, most buyers and collectors grew up in the 70s and 80s playing with cowboys and indians. The little kids these days wants to bash and smash like the hulk or fly like superman.

I've invested pretty heavily in the TLR train and think it will do well at 65 bucks a pop. It's not a hard number to beat after EOL. To me in the game of risk and reward I think the possibility of this set hitting 150-200 is worth the risk of maybe MAYBE having to break even on this set. I probably wouldn't have bought so many if I had to at 80-99, but at 65 I think it's better than good. Also, it's a train!!! If this train had generic mini figs and no license I don't think anyone would argue its merits. Box office receipts cannot be a reliable predictor of growth either. People liken this line to the failed POP run but both Cars and Toy Story were box office successes and the growth on their line is pretty poor. I betting pretty heavily that the awesomess of this train will elevate itself from the shortcomings of the film (which quite frankly I didn't think was so bad). But what do I know, it may still get.........derailed. Heh heh heh derailed.

• Like 1

I've invested pretty heavily in the TLR train and think it will do well at 65 bucks a pop. It's not a hard number to beat after EOL. To me in the game of risk and reward I think the possibility of this set hitting 150-200 is worth the risk of maybe MAYBE having to break even on this set. I probably wouldn't have bought so many if I had to at 80-99, but at 65 I think it's better than good. Also, it's a train!!! If this train had generic mini figs and no license I don't think anyone would argue its merits. Box office receipts cannot be a reliable predictor of growth either. People liken this line to the failed POP run but both Cars and Toy Story were box office successes and the growth on their line is pretty poor. I betting pretty heavily that the awesomess of this train will elevate itself from the shortcomings of the film (which quite frankly I didn't think was so bad). But what do I know, it may still get.........derailed. Heh heh heh derailed.

To be honest, the LR train is really cool. I have a few of these and will probably build one next to my Maersk, Horizon Express and cargo trains. It's too bad a motor can't fit into this thing. I haven't built it so I don't know whether I can modify it with a motor. The lack of interest in this will be its downfall, just like the Bwing. Bwing is another flop where unloading it will take a lot of hard work and begging to get someone to bite on these suckers.

I think it's a safe bet to say that some of the long term investors are getting these.. Not a great quick flip. I had 40 trains before Christmas and sold about 25 . I'm keeping the remainders and stocking up on this one. I think this set can hit 150 easily because trains are popular, especially since this one comes with track. I'm hoping this set will match the potc boats. The other sets have great tan elements too.