Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Three weeks ago, nobody cared about Mickey or Minnie and now they are the hot couple.  Go figure.

Nothing defines Disney more than those two characters, a no brainer from the start which is why I have more of them than Harry Potter & Hedwig ?

23 minutes ago, GregP said:

From what I was told by Lego CS a lot of brickheadz sets that are currently sold out won’t be coming back. Even the ones listed new, like Groot & Rocket etc.

If they had planned on continuing to sell sets like Mickey & Minnie why would they allow them to run out of stock 2 weeks before Christmas? 

I think The market and audience for brickheadz is still undefined...ran into a guy at Target who has been buying LEGO for a nephew "for years" and he didn't even know what Brickheadz were, but thought they were really cool. LEgo is probably still trying to figure it out. That said I see tons of them now at Ross and TJ-Max; but only specific ones like cyborg (I pounced on the one Wonderwoman I saw hiding in the back)

I'm kinda surprised the most obvious popular characters seem to be selling out cuz that doesn't usually seem to happen w/ Lego (ie anything remotely popular they seem to over-produce).

6 minutes ago, GregP said:

Yeah. “Allowing” them to be sold out could be a clever move. I guess we’ll see if they all of sudden come back in 2019

They are timeless, so the hope (for collectors and re-sellers) would be LEGO makes variations instead of rehashing the same over and over....then having the original release ones would actually mean something....LEGO needs to make black & white Mickey version...and ofcourse winnie the pooh

10 minutes ago, GregP said:

Yeah. “Allowing” them to be sold out could be a clever move. I guess we’ll see if they all of sudden come back in 2019

I used to think LEGO was clever.  Not so much anymore.  They will continue to produce what's popular and other poor or mediocre sellers will retire.  There are always exceptions but it kinda has been a pattern for the last few years.  There was a time where set lives would be extended because of excessive buying from resellers, but that has toned down as well.

13 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I think The market and audience for brickheadz is still undefined...ran into a guy at Target who has been buying LEGO for a nephew "for years" and he didn't even know what Brickheadz were, but thought they were really cool. LEgo is probably still trying to figure it out. That said I see tons of them now at Ross and TJ-Max; but only specific ones like cyborg (I pounced on the one Wonderwoman I saw hiding in the back)

I'm kinda surprised the most obvious popular characters seem to be selling out cuz that doesn't usually seem to happen w/ Lego (ie anything remotely popular they seem to over-produce).

Yes...I agree.  People don't know whether to buy everyone in masses or just ignore them.  I relate them to Funko.  Some will be great investments, other not so, but all are pretty cool IMO.

7 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yes...I agree.  People don't know whether to buy everyone in masses or just ignore them.  I relate them to Funko.  Some will be great investments, other not so, but all are pretty cool IMO.

First one I ever made was Bobafett...because he ownz me...

anyway the cat and mouse between crazy amazing detail next to the utter disregard for detail really makes these things pretty cool....but finding the rare gem seems to be a re-seller's nightmare

17 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

They are timeless, so the hope (for collectors and re-sellers) would be LEGO makes variations instead of rehashing the same over and over....then having the original release ones would actually mean something....LEGO needs to make black & white Mickey version...and ofcourse winnie the pooh

While I agree that Harry Potter and Mickey & Minnie have longevity in their investment opportunities, Brickheadz, in my opinion, is a completely different market to regular LEGO sets.

You’re thinking “duh”, but please alllow me to elaborate.

For LEGO sets, every set has a unique “essence” if you will. Even if LEGO makes their millionth boat set, every set before still has their unique flair and collectibility. Even for more casual LEGO lovers, they’d be willing to shell out for older sets.

For Brickheadz, however, LEGO may be “retiring” Harry Potter, but they can just as easily come out with Harry Potter and Hedwig “with a wand”, or Harry Potter “with an alternate uniform”, etc..etc. This may work with LEGO sets (again, uniqueness of sets), but it just doesn’t have the same feel with Brickheadz.

Not to mention the price point of Brickheadz has been marketed and hardwired to consumers as between $9-$15, psychologically most people would be hard pressed to want to spend more.

Whereas for LEGO sets, LEGO has done a great job of marketing “luxury” sets versus smaller casual sets, and controlling their prices well...making it such a viable market for resellers.

It just seems that Brickheadz, to LEGO, is more of an icing on their business model rather than something they care to focus and control.

I see so many Brickheadz in places like TJ Maxx or dollar stores, and they sit there...

3 minutes ago, dx0520 said:

While I agree that Harry Potter and Mickey & Minnie have longevity in their investment opportunities, Brickheadz, in my opinion, is a completely different market to regular LEGO sets.

You’re thinking “duh”, but please alllow me to elaborate.

For LEGO sets, every set has a unique “essence” if you will. Even if LEGO makes their millionth boat set, every set before still has their unique flair and collectibility. Even for more casual LEGO lovers, they’d be willing to shell out for older sets.

For Brickheadz, however, LEGO may be “retiring” Harry Potter, but they can just as easily come out with Harry Potter and Hedwig “with a wand”, or Harry Potter “with an alternate uniform”, etc..etc. This may work with LEGO sets (again, uniqueness of sets), but it just doesn’t have the same feel with Brickheadz.

Not to mention the price point of Brickheadz has been marketed and hardwired to consumers as between $9-$15, psychologically most people would be hard pressed to want to spend more.

Whereas for LEGO sets, LEGO has done a great job of marketing “luxury” sets versus smaller casual sets, and controlling their prices well...making it such a viable market for resellers.

It just seems that Brickheadz, to LEGO, is more of an icing on their business model rather than something they care to focus and control.

I see so many Brickheadz in places like TJ Maxx or dollar stores, and they sit there...

Just like Funkos.  In fact, I believe this was LEGO's answer to Funkos.  There will be another Minnie Mouse, but maybe with a different outfit.  How many Mickey Funkos are there?  Quite a few.

• Like 1

Just like Funkos.  In fact, I believe this was LEGO's answer to Funkos.  There will be another Minnie Mouse, but maybe with a different outfit.  How many Mickey Funkos are there?  Quite a few.

Have you been in some of the Hot Topic and FYE stores? Funko rules the shelves. Mix in a few limited edition /“exclusive” /chase figures people go nuts.

Maybe this is Legos answer with Brickheadz as someone stated earlier. Limit production and “retire” what could be the most popular BH yet . Ré-release version 2.0/3.0 etc.

Like Lebron once said - “not 1. Not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5,6,7”

In that mindset, then only Batman and Iron Man have seen multiple "versions" outside of the SDCC Exclusives, and if you include them, Batman, Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman and Boba Fett (and I guess Han Solo if you're pedantic) but its hard to see success when comparing to super limited exclusives. Maybe those sold quicker due to it being a different, more available version?

There are still lots of characters I hope to see. Would be nice to see some more from Avengers: Endgame and other animated disney properties. I need a Mike Wazowski and Sully BHz, NOW.

Bhz have been 12 month or less release since they started,  all of last years ended 2017 and all of this years end 2018.  Sure you will have some hangovers like Finn even after the retired tag,  yet they never officially gave Phasma the tag. 

Pretty much like what mixels were,  out for a few months,  retired,  then see hanging around.

Plenty of characters to make and can make variations of mickey and minnie if they want too so no need to really keep around for a long time anyways.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, NIevo said:

I think we've pretty much wiped them out everywhere.  Can't find them is stock for RRP or lower anywhere today.

If anyone in Canada is looking for these, ToysRUs.ca still has Mickey & Minnie BHz in stock and 15% off all orders today... 

Guest TabbyBoy
42 minutes ago, mongrelhorde said:

They are now BOGO 50% until next Thursday. Limit of 3 though for the Mickey & Minnie Bhz.

Time to create as many accounts as possible! Be greedy! ?

I am thinking that BH are the "new" stocking stuffer of choice

Perfect size

Nice price point (es. sale prices)...and great "Add-on" option

I think maybe that's why all the most popular characters are selling...since they are gifts the gifter typically sticks to the most popular...

this type of thing suggest it might just be a seasonal popularity (ie expect sales to go off a cliff after christmas)