Retiring Soon - open speculation

3 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

42057 Ultralight Helicopters seem to have been a sleeper. No dedicated thread on this site, but they're up to 2 x RRP in the UK already on eBay and Amazon.

Agreed, noticed this week when I listed one a bit too late. The Technic 42046 did that last year too, I flipped half a dozen 42046s just before Xmas 2017. 

So as Christmas nears and we have all no doubt heavily invested in Black Friday and pre Christmas retirement deals are there any wins or regrets  to report? For me I missed boat on Brick Bank although generally been stung by recent modulars. I have 2-3 (one box turned up dented from Smyths) but that’s for me to build in future. Argos wins in UK again for worst box condition deliveries, I bought 3 Destiny Bounty’s and one turned up crushed wet (got refund) and flipped other 2 last week.

im pleased i managed to get some Fishing Stores at good price in Autumn. I haven’t bothered with jokers manor or any TBMM. I like some Technic and taking a gamble at few Ninjago movie as good quality set and box design.

HP Brickheadz didn’t go as well as I thought considering out of stock and trying a few flips. Finn and Plasma did best for me.

one other that really surprised me is 7499 tracks, I sold 2 boxes this week for x3/x4 RRP, LEGO is so unprediable:) 

29 minutes ago, Yellow Castle said:

So as Christmas nears and we have all no doubt heavily invested in Black Friday and pre Christmas retirement deals are there any wins or regrets  to report? For me I missed boat on Brick Bank although generally been stung by recent modulars. I have 2-3 (one box turned up dented from Smyths) but that’s for me to build in future. Argos wins in UK again for worst box condition deliveries, I bought 3 Destiny Bounty’s and one turned up crushed wet (got refund) and flipped other 2 last week.

im pleased i managed to get some Fishing Stores at good price in Autumn. I haven’t bothered with jokers manor or any TBMM. I like some Technic and taking a gamble at few Ninjago movie as good quality set and box design.

HP Brickheadz didn’t go as well as I thought considering out of stock and trying a few flips. Finn and Plasma did best for me.

one other that really surprised me is 7499 tracks, I sold 2 boxes this week for x3/x4 RRP, LEGO is so unprediable:) 

Regrets include: 

Not buying 42064 Ocean Explorers for £50 each, thinking that a better deal would soon appear (it of course hasn't).

Getting my £96 Old Fishing Store order cancelled from John Lewis.

Missing the £106 Detective's Offices, again from John Lewis.

Wins:

The £19.99 41194 Elves sets from Argos (managed to get 4). QFLLs abound on eBay at the moment but this will do well long term.

Buying enough 42057 Ultralight Helicopters from LEGO Shop at Home to get the Carousel promo. Works out at about £8.50 each and, less than a month later, they are ~£30.

3 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Regrets include: 

Not buying 42064 Ocean Explorers for £50 each, thinking that a better deal would soon appear (it of course hasn't).

Wins:

The £19.99 41194 Elves sets from Argos (managed to get 4). QFLLs abound on eBay at the moment but this will do well long term.

Buying enough 42057 Ultralight Helicopters from LEGO Shop at Home to get the Carousel promo. Works out at about £8.50 each and, less than a month later, they are ~£30.

It’s clearly swings and roundabouts as i done ok with DO and OFS at good deals at JL but went in mid-range on 42057 and won’t make margins you will.

also same as 42058, missed boat on bigger bulk buy in summer but couple went this week at just shy of £30. 

Speed Champions were good too, maybe not as good as previous years but the Ford Mustang and Raptor Sets did pretty well.

7 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Just found out about this and checked it out.  Never even thought of getting any one of these sets...but I'm a car nut and would love to build it.

Anyone know how much all three sets are going for (realistically)?

you need to be quick as they are all retired now.

1 hour ago, dx0520 said:

I’m not sure if this has been speculated, but regarding the retiring SW sets, and how this community, including myself, have a relative disdain for them...Does anyone feel LEGO is going to include some SW stuff in their next movie?

I feel as though this community is not a "fan site" but more of a reseller site; so prevailing sentiments tends to be more critical based on sales (which is driven by many factors that have nothing to do with how good or bad a set may be...and to what audience) and not objective merits.  I think the obvious lack of star wars in the last movie suggest licensing issues.  If that's the case then I don't think we will see SW stuff in the next movie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I feel as though this community is not a "fan site" but more of a reseller site; so prevailing sentiments tends to be more critical based on sales (which is driven by many factors that have nothing to do with how good or bad a set may be...and to what audience) and not objective merits.  I think the obvious lack of star wars in the last movie suggest licensing issues.  If that's the case then I don't think we will see SW stuff in the next movie. 

I wasn’t asking to imply any semblance of fandom. If SW is in the next LEGO movie, then demand is going to spike for SW sets, and as such anyone that has been grabbing them is going to collect a pretty pennie sooner than expected.

16 hours ago, dx0520 said:

I wasn’t asking to imply any semblance of fandom. If SW is in the next LEGO movie, then demand is going to spike for SW sets, and as such anyone that has been grabbing them is going to collect a pretty pennie sooner than expected.

I wouldn't count on it. Maybe a bit. Star Wars seems to be popular as a lot of people look for it as gifts. The problem seems to be a couple things, Too many different sets all at once... like if you go to star wars on the lego website, there's usually like 4-5 pages, which is unlike any other theme. That and they over produce basically every set. 
It would be refreshing to see Star Wars discontinued for a year... watch prices spike then... even if only for a year. I'd just like less selection for Star Wars... maybe that'd make it worse for resellers though but I just think their is way too much all the time.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:54 PM, Captain_chaos said:

Regrets include: 

Wins:

People are buying at £30? Ebay has loads at £18 ?