Retiring Soon - open speculation

I bought with 30% discount:

LEGO BATMAN MOVIE DC The Justice League Anniversary Party 70919

LEGO BATMAN MOVIE DC Harley Quinn Cannonball Attack 70921

Good investment?

On 1/1/2019 at 8:11 PM, vexxet said:

just got the new catalog.  Lego Ninjago City 70620 is not in it.  

Got that one already! Thanks for sharing.

although I would still think that 75887 Porsche  919 Hybrid is retired effectively in EU region - not just that its listed as sold out for weeks on SAH, but its such a tiny set that not including its mini thumbnail in the EU catalogue simply makes no sense (all other cars are in that..)

On 1/3/2019 at 1:03 AM, crayxlp said:

although I would still think that 75887 Porsche  919 Hybrid is retired effectively in EU region - not just that its listed as sold out for weeks on SAH, but its such a tiny set that not including its mini thumbnail in the EU catalogue simply makes no sense (all other cars are in that..)

You're right - 75887 is officially retired today at EU LEGO Shop at Home along with 75880 and 75877

Edited by kaczy

12 hours ago, crayxlp said:

now.. you dont have to worry a bit since there are still lots of the on the PL market for more or less the original RRP, right? :)

Bought one earlier for personal build but I'd rather put my money on something else for investment.

Even if Speed Champions series ends, it's not like Lego is going to stop making licensed cars in this price point.  Just means Lego will likely re-image into another series...maybe jump the price point to $19.99 with less stickers (which would be my hope)...IF the licensed cars line does get improved then these lesser versions will only have niche  collector value and the car enthusiast would likely want the "better" sets. 

Based on my observation of Ebay and BL mechandise of older licensed sets (pre-Speed champion)...I get sticker shock for what are clearly less desirable older sets...(No thank-you...and I Love cars sets). SO if I'm thinking of spending $$$ on older sets, I am basically hoping Lego does not improve that particular car (ie Lamborghinis).

I find it interesting that Lego's large licensed car sets have been all over the place in terms of pricing: Proches $300, Chiron $350, 2019 Porcshe $150...I am not sure how their licensing agreement is set up, but clearly Lego is trying to find the sweet spot 

6 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Even if Speed Champions series ends, it's not like Lego is going to stop making licensed cars in this price point.  Just means Lego will likely re-image into another series...maybe jump the price point to $19.99 with less stickers (which would be my hope)...IF the licensed cars line does get improved then these lesser versions will only have niche  collector value and the car enthusiast would likely want the "better" sets. 

Based on my observation of Ebay and BL mechandise of older licensed sets (pre-Speed champion)...I get sticker shock for what are clearly less desirable older sets...(No thank-you...and I Love cars sets). SO if I'm thinking of spending $$$ on older sets, I am basically hoping Lego does not improve that particular car (ie Lamborghinis).

I find it interesting that Lego's large licensed car sets have been all over the place in terms of pricing: Proches $300, Chiron $350, 2019 Porcshe $150...I am not sure how their licensing agreement is set up, but clearly Lego is trying to find the sweet spot 

I think you are wrong in your assumptions that IF Lego ever wanted to terminate Speed Champions that they would come up with the same idea - but under a different marketing brand.. totally makes no sense to waste marketing funds on an established vs. renewed brand and TLG is nowadays in NO position to waste any money.. .. also they could do this very same thing at the the time when the Chief SCH designer left the company a little over a year ago.. instead they found some new designers which I believe are from China because the 2018 sets look worse than the ones designed by Craig Callum.. PLUS they have a very interesting little detail.. background scenery on most of them are based on Asian (Chinese?) locations.. 

12 hours ago, crayxlp said:

I think you are wrong in your assumptions that IF Lego ever wanted to terminate Speed Champions that they would come up with the same idea - but under a different marketing brand.. totally makes no sense to waste marketing funds on an established vs. renewed brand and TLG is nowadays in NO position to waste any money.. ..

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they simply change the name/branding of the series...the only reason for the change is a new price point which will be driven by the licensing deals (per set, per total units, % of profit, endless details) and their market research...maybe the current series primary price point of $14.99 isn't cutting it. Something tangible will change but I believe Lego will always be offerring small minifigure scale cars w/ licensing. 

5 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they simply change the name/branding of the series...the only reason for the change is a new price point which will be driven by the licensing deals (per set, per total units, % of profit, endless details) and their market research...maybe the current series primary price point of $14.99 isn't cutting it. Something tangible will change but I believe Lego will always be offerring small minifigure scale cars w/ licensing. 

Most themes have a limited "interest" time frame.  People get tired of the same or similar theme.  It happens with almost every theme, except for the generic themes like CITY or Friends, which caters to new and younger kids that enter (and eventually leave) the marketplace on an annual basis.  STAR WARS is an exception, yet even that beloved theme is long in the tooth as they say.  

Guest TabbyBoy
13 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Most themes have a limited "interest" time frame.  People get tired of the same or similar theme.  It happens with almost every theme, except for the generic themes like CITY or Friends, which caters to new and younger kids that enter (and eventually leave) the marketplace on an annual basis.  STAR WARS is an exception, yet even that beloved theme is long in the tooth as they say.  

His Lordship has spoken - Star Wars is officially long in the tooth!

20 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

STAR WARS is an exception, yet even that beloved theme is long in the tooth as they say.  

The LEGO Star Wars theme could have been fine - but it was hit with a big double wammy.

Between LEGO sabotaging the collectible aspects of the theme, and Disney's unfair attacks on any long time fans who would dare to critique storyline/character decisions.

It's actually more surprising that things haven't been worse. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KShine said:

The LEGO Star Wars theme could have been fine - but it was hit with a big double wammy.

Between LEGO sabotaging the collectible aspects of the theme, and Disney's unfair attacks on any long time fans who would dare to critique storyline/character decisions.

It's actually more surprising that things haven't been worse. 

if it can get worse, i don't want to see it.  I sold 5 star wars sets this holiday season out of 300+ sales.  That's a ratio I thought Id never see.