Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I'll be annoyed if you waited 3 years to complain that it's not available.  Welcome!

I guess I should rephrase that by saying I'd be annoyed at my stupidity for not buying a set before it's retired even though I had ample time. Is the Slave I confirmed to be out of stock for good? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stentorious said:

I guess I should rephrase that by saying I'd be annoyed at my stupidity for not buying a set before it's retired even though I had ample time. Is the Slave I confirmed to be out of stock for good? 

Yes, at retail it is pretty much gone.  Still available at Amazon US though.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Slave-75060/dp/B00NHQHX8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547610993&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+slave+1

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, Val-E said:

Don´t worry, plenty of stock in our homes for you to shop for.

Still at RRP...along with TIE fighters, Towers Bridges & Pet Shops.

13 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'd not be surprised to see her celebrate her 100th birthday on the throne. My questions are... who will send HER a telegram and would she appreciate a 21029 if I sent her one?

I think telegrams are a thing of the past now. Liz sent my gran a card when she turned 100.

2 hours ago, Yellow Castle said:

Hope it does better than Tie Fighter 75095 once retired for good.

You know, it is curious why Tie Fighters don't do as well.  Don't get me wrong, owning all three UCS Tie's: Vader, Interceptor, and regular, they are very redundant builds but look great in my opinion.  However, they do so poorly I wouldn't be surprised if they ever get remade. 

The iconic sets, on the other hand - Tantive IV, Star Destroyer, Executor - are all doing really well.  The MF, Y-wing, X-wing, and Snowspeeder were doing well, until the remakes showed up.  So I guess that is LEGO's plan, keep remaking sets that are doing really well in the aftermarket.  So I guess we should see remakes of Tantive IV, Star Destroyer, and Executor within the next few years.  Maybe a ship each year alternating with a new playset?  Or a playset every other year?

My point being, perhaps the question is not so much, How well will the remakes sell in the future, but how poorly will the originals do after the new ones go EOL?  Original MF, X-Wing and Snowspeeders have all tanked from what I'm seeing.  I'm guessing the original Y-Wing will do the same?  In the mean time, the new ones are barely going up at all.  Red Five ,Tie and original Death Star are basically stagnant.  Slave 1 is kind of the exception, but it's now going on three years.  I really don't see them improving on that design either.

Guess that also means because the B-wing did so poorly no B-Wing remake, (Although I can't imagine them improving upon the B-Wing.  Maybe a little smaller for display sake?  But it is a larger vehicle,) which will end up making it a more prized UCS set.  lol  And sadly because the B-wing did so poorly, I doubt LEGO will ever do an A-Wing, which is one I'd really love to see. 

I don't know, I just wonder, as many others have been saying, if the "investment" value of the UCS sets have lost their juice.  And I wonder if you're looking to make money off the older UCS sets, if you should be selling them now because their value is about to be reduced.  Anyone else feeling this way?

5 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

You know, it is curious why Tie Fighters don't do as well.  Don't get me wrong, owning all three UCS Tie's: Vader, Interceptor, and regular, they are very redundant builds but look great in my opinion.  However, they do so poorly I wouldn't be surprised if they ever get remade. 

The iconic sets, on the other hand - Tantive IV, Star Destroyer, Executor - are all doing really well.  The MF, Y-wing, X-wing, and Snowspeeder were doing well, until the remakes showed up.  So I guess that is LEGO's plan, keep remaking sets that are doing really well in the aftermarket.  So I guess we should see remakes of Tantive IV, Star Destroyer, and Executor within the next few years.  Maybe a ship each year alternating with a new playset?  Or a playset every other year?

My point being, perhaps the question is not so much, How well will the remakes sell in the future, but how poorly will the originals do after the new ones go EOL?  Original MF, X-Wing and Snowspeeders have all tanked from what I'm seeing.  I'm guessing the original Y-Wing will do the same?  In the mean time, the new ones are barely going up at all.  Red Five ,Tie and original Death Star are basically stagnant.  Slave 1 is kind of the exception, but it's now going on three years.  I really don't see them improving on that design either.

Guess that also means because the B-wing did so poorly no B-Wing remake, (Although I can't imagine them improving upon the B-Wing.  Maybe a little smaller for display sake?  But it is a larger vehicle,) which will end up making it a more prized UCS set.  lol  And sadly because the B-wing did so poorly, I doubt LEGO will ever do an A-Wing, which is one I'd really love to see. 

I don't know, I just wonder, as many others have been saying, if the "investment" value of the UCS sets have lost their juice.  And I wonder if you're looking to make money off the older UCS sets, if you should be selling them now because their value is about to be reduced.  Anyone else feeling this way?

I like the TIE Fighter.  I also liked the B-wing.  Maybe they have just produced too many.

• Like 1

I´d say it´s in a negative cycle, like modulars were. We need a couple of years of non remade sets and some surprise retirements plus less barrel scraping from Disney for them to recover their shine.

It´s not just the UCS sets, it´s the theme that has lost steam.

There was way more money in Potter and Friends this Xmas and that is telling.

Edited by Val-E

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

There was way more money in Potter and Friends this Xmas and that is telling.

That is an interesting observation.  I wonder with SW IX coming out next December if it will be different.  Sadly, no one in our family, including me really cares to go.  As big of a Star Wars fan as I am, that actually makes me very sad.

Guest TabbyBoy
6 hours ago, Val-E said:

Could go either way depending on whether the film is good or subprime.

From what I've seen in episodes 1,2,3,7,8,Rogue1,Solo, it goes from dreadful to worse and I can only predict an utter disaster. I still haven't seen EP8 (by far the worst!) all the way through as I walked out of the cinema half way through and requested a refund. It was so bad that my girlfriend actually fell asleep after 30min and she's a huge fan. There were also a lot of conversations going on in the cinema, which shows very few were interested. I endured Rogue1 and Solo, but have no intention of watching them again. I won't rush to see EP9 either as I can easily wait until it's properly reviewed or even until it's on TV.

I really struggle to understand why LEGO are making so many sets based on this dross. So many remain on the shelves and are often heavily discounted to get rid. Not to mention the dire performance of more recent UCS sets. The theme has lost its sparkle, time to move on.

15 minutes ago, grabbitfast said:

75927 and 75928 going soon given the clearance bins.

I think there was an overstock similar to SW and now shops are getting rid of them. They are good sellers but chains got it wrong and ordered too much SW and JW and not enough Potter or Friends. Probaby be the opposite next Xmas.

4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I think there was an overstock similar to SW and now shops are getting rid of them. They are good sellers but chains got it wrong and ordered too much SW and JW and not enough Potter or Friends. Probaby be the opposite next Xmas.

Probably because there was no annual STAR WARS movie and they went off of 2017 sales to estimate 2018's inventory.  Next year should be a better one for the theme.

3 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Probably because there was no annual STAR WARS movie and they went off of 2017 sales to estimate 2018's inventory.  Next year should be a better one for the theme.

There wasn´t a HP film either. If we count FB then we have to count Solo too. A lot of the overstock was with Solo movie sets. Those AT Haulers and Moloch Speeders are going to be warming shelves for quite some time. OT remakes did better.

Keep in mind that 2019 is going to be exceptionally heavy for SW content. We’ll see two animated shows (resistance and clone wars), a live action series, all launched on a new streaming service AND IX dropping in December.

I think this will mean a ton of inventory and over stock

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

There wasn´t a HP film either. If we count FB then we have to count Solo too. A lot of the overstock was with Solo movie sets. Those AT Haulers and Moloch Speeders are going to be warming shelves for quite some time. OT remakes did better.

But there are so few Harry Potter sets people buy them all.