Retiring Soon - open speculation

I don't believe this list.

1. Nobody knows at this moment - even TLG - what will be retired in 2020 or 2021. For example Tantive was released this year and they already knows that will it retire just after 1.5 years? It can happen to bad selling sets after some period of time, not just after 3 months...

2. There are some sets which i don't believe will retire this or next year - for example Porg, just after 1 year.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fantomas007 said:

1. Nobody knows at this moment - even TLG - what will be retired in 2020 or 2021. For example Tantive was released this year and they already knows that will it retire just after 1.5 years? It can happen to bad selling sets after some period of time, not just after 3 months...

2. There are some sets which i don't believe will retire this or next year - for example Porg, just after 1 year.

Not true. Lego have a rolling roadmap of what retires and gets released and when.

Problem is the roadmap gets reviewed and things change. Another problem is when stuff goes EOL but there is still so much stock to shift.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Not true. Lego have a rolling roadmap of what retires and gets released and when.

Problem is the roadmap gets reviewed and things change. Another problem is when stuff goes EOL but there is still so much stock to shift.

There’s more to the story. Unless things have changed since 2013. There is a roadmap, but it’s flexible.

Disclosure   Information not guaranteed, this is from an informal “chat” with a LEGO store manager 6 years ago.

There are are two streams “originals” and licensed.

Licensed sets are set by contract to a certain agreed run/qty, if the set sells better than expected then they usually (but not always) agree another run with the licensor. If a popular set does not have a new run agreed, then there’s the money for investors, assuming they bought in on that set. The Ferrari F40 (10248) comes to mind.

The VW T1 is likely under a never ending license. VW  really need good publicity, they’ll take whatever they can get! Probably the bug too - why did I buy so many?

Original sets are an absolute wild car,  there’s no limit other than what the market will bare, **likely** when sales drop below a certain number of units per month, per week or whatever formula is at play, that set gets scheduled for retirement. Then places, such as this, spread the rumor and we all go shopping... now sales have picked up again! Guess what production continues... Tower Bridge Tower Bridge Tower...

There are more variables at play than this

• Like 3

Yes, rolling and flexible are the same thing. They can change the plan by flushing the turds e.g.  75150 and extending the money makers e.g. T1.

What has changed since 2016 or so is it is all much more sales oriented and they have been less stubborn about maintaining poor selling sets just because that was the original plan. See DC Super Hero Girls and final wave TLBM sets as an example and Destiny´s Bounty and green dragon from TLNM as examples of popular sets that got extended beyond the rest of the theme.

I think we will see that most, if not all, TLM2 sets will be done this Xmas whereas some of the first movie sets got 2 years.

Edited by Val-E

Did you all see that one show...I think it's called the INtern where DeNiro is the intern for a start-up...basically computer tracking software for marketing was able to see "live" when a singular shopper (of which they already have loads of personal shopping habits, demographic, favorite colors, favorite brand of toilet paper and whether they like over or under) clicked on an item on their website, the amount of time viewing it and how long they kept it in their shopping cart before a final purchase decision.

Anyway...I'm mentioning this because us talking about "gross" numbers like sales...is like a bunch of cavemen talking about a carved out wheel when Goodyear & Firestone is already 1000s of years ahead. That said...a marketing intern at LEGO could just be using word counts on popular blogs like BPer to make his recommendations.

3 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Did you all see that one show...I think it's called the INtern where DeNiro is the intern for a start-up...basically computer tracking software for marketing was able to see "live" when a singular shopper (of which they already have loads of personal shopping habits, demographic, favorite colors, favorite brand of toilet paper and whether they like over or under) clicked on an item on their website, the amount of time viewing it and how long they kept it in their shopping cart before a final purchase decision.

Anyway...I'm mentioning this because us talking about "gross" numbers like sales...is like a bunch of cavemen talking about a carved out wheel when Goodyear & Firestone is already 1000s of years ahead. That said...a marketing intern at LEGO could just be using word counts on popular blogs like BPer to make his recommendations.

and yet lego is no fb nor amazon, i can tell u that ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

LEGO is like the caveman compared to companies that actually flex big data and move quickly, like Amazon. 

I don't think Big Data is necessary when you have a very narrow and predictable customer base...we've all seen our customers...my guess is that they are pretty vanilla when compared to most consumers...simple enough to represent 90% using a dozen minifigures

4 hours ago, fantomas007 said:

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

All sets have a retirement dates set even before it release, although it can get reviewed but it rarely happen.

Just now, Greanie said:

Thoughts on 10243 (Parisian Restaraunt) . . . its seen a price drop on Amazon. Is this indicative of dwindling stock and lack of "re-fill" therefore a possible retirement?

It's may be on its last leg. It's lasted longer than the Pet Shop (which is hovering at a lofty $80 over RRP on Amazon). A great looking set that is surely hoarded to the point that only those who have significantly low buy-ins will make a decent profit.

Anyone else here got the same strange feeling that our super-popular Ideas Saturn V 21309 will indeed retire - but only to be brought back immediately as a Creator Expert set? I mean, nowadays everything seems possible for TLG when it comes to (making money with) remakes and re-releases.

I think there are some good arguments for this to happen:
a) Why bury one of the best-selling (and most well-designed) sets of all time for good after just 2 years, for no "real" reason (= just because the Ideas philosophy "demands" it) - after all, TLG is in it for the money, isn't it?
b) Conveniently LEGO also has a cooperation running with NASA anyway, so there's virtually no licensing-related effort needed to make Creator Expert Saturn V happen.
c) A non-Ideas continuation of 21309 would also raise LEGO's profits for every set sold in the future (no more fees for the fan designer).
d) They could just have extended the Ideas set one additional year (as has been done before with other Ideas sets) - but it doesn't seem like they did. Hm ...

Edited by Frank Brickowski

4 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Anyone else here got the same strange feeling that our super-popular Ideas Saturn V 21309 will indeed retire - but only to be brought back immediately as a Creator Expert set? I mean, nowadays everything seems possible for TLG when it comes to (making money with) remakes and re-releases.

I have the same feeling that it is too early to retire such a popular set. I don't believe Saturn V will be done this year. 

On 9/20/2019 at 3:19 PM, brickvoyeur said:

It's may be on its last leg. It's lasted longer than the Pet Shop (which is hovering at a lofty $80 over RRP on Amazon). A great looking set that is surely hoarded to the point that only those who have significantly low buy-ins will make a decent profit.

well the lowest iv seen in the uk is £120. let me guess someone found 1000 for $25each at walmart?