What Lego set did you buy today?

So after hearing about the upcoming eBay promotion I saw a UCS Falcon listed with best offer. Sent offer of $500, was accepted. Used the promo code to pay this morning.

Seller feedback checks out. Seller communication checks out. So once again, we roll the dice and we shall see. I flipped 3 of these early on and was waiting on the right price for myself. Will crack the seals when it arrives and start counting bags just to be sure all checks out.

image.thumb.png.db623f6595d5adac74fccd26644e4d22.png

• Like 8

10262 - James Bond Aston Martin DB5

The perceived flaws of this release have been debated at length, but I've remained interested, just waiting for a decent price for personal build.  LEGO Shop at Home would have been $158.99 shipped.  Thanks to the eBay coupon today I have one coming to my house for $135.15 (15% off $159 free ship).  I haven't seen this anywhere but Lego store or LEGO Shop at Home so this seemed like my best opportunity.

Edited by MusiKyle
  • Like 1

KMart coming through once more: went in to cash my $8 on $8+ Free Cash on some 20% off clearance set. Found a 70623 destiny's shadow, scanning at $22.40 (AMZ current price $48). Totally surprised when I had to pay $5 at the register, so went back with the other 70623 they had, and took a stack of similarly priced 70624 Vermillion Invader along.

20180910_190009.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

KMart coming through once more: went in to cash my $8 on $8+ Free Cash on some 20% off clearance set. Found a 70623 destiny's shadow, scanning at $22.40 (AMZ current price $48). Totally surprised when I had to pay $5 at the register, so went back with the other 70623 they had, and took a stack of similarly priced 70624 Vermillion Invader along.

20180910_190009.jpeg

Is there any wonder why bankruptcy is looming...

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the LEGO FORMA super box. Well "contributed" on Indiegogo. I should be getting it in January. Bought it to resell. Anyone think it will do well? Also does anyone have any good reasons for why BIG sets aren't doing well anymore? If the people that hoarded them aren't making money, why do they keep buying them? Or is it not hoarded but people buy them and get into debt because they don't want to pay the high price tag when it retires. Then since everyone that wants one has one, you can't charge super high prices. One more thing, everyone is saying that 21309 (Saturn V) is going do so well. My point of view is that this set is SO HOARDED that it won't even make a dime LEGO will keep making them because WE'RE buying them. I bought one with the hopes that as soon as it retired people would go frantic and I could sell it for like $200 before the price dropped to $50 because right now supply is WAY more than enough for the demand, at least that's what I think.......P.S. I am stocking up on 75932's Gonna make the big bucks when it retires HOPEFULLY at the end of the year, I believe this set is a winner!

EDIT: I paid money oversees for the FORMA and my card was consistently declined. Called the bank and they said it was because money was going overseas so they declined it. Then they told me that that purchase was declined 10 times! Hey, I was desperate and wanted to get it before it was too late! Luckily my bank let the transaction go through.

Edited by Saruman

4 hours ago, Saruman said:

Bought the LEGO FORMA super box. Well "contributed" on Indiegogo. I should be getting it in January. Bought it to resell. Anyone think it will do well? Also does anyone have any good reasons for why BIG sets aren't doing well anymore? If the people that hoarded them aren't making money, why do they keep buying them? Or is it not hoarded but people buy them and get into debt because they don't want to pay the high price tag when it retires. Then since everyone that wants one has one, you can't charge super high prices. One more thing, everyone is saying that 21309 (Saturn V) is going do so well. My point of view is that this set is SO HOARDED that it won't even make a dime LEGO will keep making them because WE'RE buying them. I bought one with the hopes that as soon as it retired people would go frantic and I could sell it for like $200 before the price dropped to $50 because right now supply is WAY more than enough for the demand, at least that's what I think.......P.S. I am stocking up on 75932's Gonna make the big bucks when it retires HOPEFULLY at the end of the year, I believe this set is a winner!

EDIT: I paid money oversees for the FORMA and my card was consistently declined. Called the bank and they said it was because money was going overseas so they declined it. Then they told me that that purchase was declined 10 times! Hey, I was desperate and wanted to get it before it was too late! Luckily my bank let the transaction go through.

There are tons of perspectives on the reasons for poorer performance of bigger sets, but that discussion has been had more than a few times on a several different threads.  As for the card decline, it happened to me and a few others I know as well.

6 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

There are tons of perspectives on the reasons for poorer performance of bigger sets, but that discussion has been had more than a few times on a several different threads.  As for the card decline, it happened to me and a few others I know as well.

Where can I find this thread? I feel like I have looked everywhere for it.

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Lego City Tanker Truck (60016) X 7 for £11 each from local WH Smith who always seem to unearth old stock and put in the bargain bins.

Was that in Leatherhead? I also saw a couple there last week along with some 60118 Garbage Trucks for the same price. Boxes weren't good so I didn't bite. However, if you have a Dobbies Garden centre near you, they may have some good deals and 75% off is quite common. If you don't see a discount on the shelf, get it scanned as you may be pleasantly surprised.

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Was that in Leatherhead? I also saw a couple there last week along with some 60118 Garbage Trucks for the same price. Boxes weren't good so I didn't bite. However, if you have a Dobbies Garden centre near you, they may have some good deals and 75% off is quite common. If you don't see a discount on the shelf, get it scanned as you may be pleasantly surprised.

So are Smiths collating these old sets centrally and then distributing out to local stores? The boxes had a little shelf wear but otherwise in good nick and I've shifted 4 in quick succession.

There are no Dobbies near South Wales unfortunately.

Edited by Scatterbug
Update

Guest TabbyBoy
17 hours ago, Scatterbug said:

You just can't walk away can you?

No, not for £247.50 cash profit for doing nothing. However, you can rest easy as my order was cancelled this morning. I was only going to buy if I could shift it immediately, I'm done with holding stock. If there's easy legal money, I'll chase it, I always have.

Guest TabbyBoy
15 hours ago, Rog said:

My locals were delivered 36 each for this promo so good luck getting 99 from a .com picked order ;)

Maybe the retailers should get their web admins to lower the limits as 99 is asking for trouble. Amazon have enforced limit 2 so they only way around this is multiple credentials. Amazon know full well that stock will be wiped out in seconds if there was no limit.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Maybe the retailers should get their web admins to lower the limits as 99 is asking for trouble. Amazon have enforced limit 2 so they only way around this is multiple credentials. Amazon know full well that stock will be wiped out in seconds if there was no limit.

But they want schools and old folks homes to be able to order 99 cans of value beans, adjusting quantities on a per item basis is some next level coding man.

Amazon are fun stealers. Was very surprised they actually let me have 3 of some things during the recent short lived 342.