What Lego set did you buy today?

On 11/17/2018 at 6:47 PM, Gary81 said:

Amazon, available for a few hours at silly o clock a few mornings ago. Shame limit was 3 at only £35 each.

I saw them all too but didnt buy as thought they'd be on offer until crap Black Friday.  If I'd known it would be a short lived offer, I might have bought them.  Wish I had bought but glad I resisted as this is an offloading stock year for me.

I must not buy until I sell half the stuff I got. I must not buy until I sell half the stuff I got. I must not buy until I sell half the stuff I got.

• Like 1

Couple of 75191 Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive from Tesco at £45 yellow stickered. Stores are for some reason using their clearance budget on sets clearly delivered for the Christmas period.

These are strange, I assume it was a TRU exclusive previously as there is next to no availability here in the UK, LEGO is backordered and Amazon is above RRP. Probably going to QFLL but if they don't sell before Christmas I'll be happy to hold.

1 minute ago, Rog said:

Couple of 75191 Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive from Tesco at £45 yellow stickered. Stores are for some reason using their clearance budget on sets clearly delivered for the Christmas period.

These are strange, I assume it was a TRU exclusive previously as there is next to no availability here in the UK, LEGO is backordered and Amazon is above RRP. Probably going to QFLL but if they don't sell before Christmas I'll be happy to hold.

Buying Star Wars, do you not realise that's so 2016 :D

I think these are officially the last ones in a 50 mile radius. Great poly.
20181007_163234.thumb.jpeg.fa9121ccc0ed5b8a153429236d386310.jpeg

Apologies for the crappy cell phone picture. $14 each.
I was wrong. Found 2 more locked away in the videogames section at one of my Meijers. Marked $69.99 on the shelf, but rang up as $13.99. Supergirl still sells about once every two days on AMZ for $60. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
12 hours ago, grabbitfast said:

Five 60104 Airport sets picked up at a local Toy store at £45 each after looking all week in vain online for a bargain or two.

Get out on the road is my advice.

LOL - I also bought 3x 60104 Airport Terminals this morning from a local reseller who was bailing for £100 cash, the lot. There's also some 60080 Spaceports (not sure how many) that I'm picking up off him later once I've drawn out some more cash. There's Star Wars sets too, but I'm not at all interested in that crap.

On the road is the only way to make good money as the QFLLs and HUKDers own the online Universe. In my heyday, I'd go to all large Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys branches within 30 miles of Reading and simply arm-sweep everything half-decent that was >50% off. Also, as a deal hit HUKD, and it was within 30 miles, I'd head straight out.

It's GO time at Kroger. Newt's Suitcase was an unmarked 20% off at my store.

Picked up all the Stephanie's(?) Bedrooms at $7.99 - 20% off (60% off after holiday coupon), all the MF MF's at $7.99 (20% off), farm cottage suitcases at Closeout $15.99 (20% off), already retired Snowwhite cottages at RRP, and threw in the entire HP section. Total came in at $300.27 (there was a $300 in savings limit).20181124_075351_Film2.jpeg

• Like 4

What holiday coupon ??

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

50% off 1 General Merchandise purchase, up to $300 in savings. Valid 11/24-11/27 I believe.

You had to spend $400 in store during the Nov 7-18 period to qualify (see bottom of your receipts). $300 got you 40% off, $200 30% off.

You cannot see the coupon on your account, but it pops up as a question (do you want to apply your Holiday Bonus 50%?) during check out.

• Like 1

Bought one Heartlake High School for $20 at a Toys for Tots booth at a local holiday event. They had buildable figures, TLBM and friends sets for very steep discounts. I saw one guy loading up buying multiples of each set. What are the ethics of buying these for resale? Each purchase goes to support Toys for Tots but I felt icky buying any for resale and just got the one set for personal use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

2 hours ago, firstofminifigs said:

Bought one Heartlake High School for $20 at a Toys for Tots booth at a local holiday event. They had buildable figures, TLBM and friends sets for very steep discounts. I saw one guy loading up buying multiples of each set. What are the ethics of buying these for resale? Each purchase goes to support Toys for Tots but I felt icky buying any for resale and just got the one set for personal use.

That is strange. If it was a toys for tots booth and all proceeds went to support that program why wouldn't they just donate the sets instead of selling them, especially at steep discounts? As far as the ethics of buying for resale, it depends on the person. If they are getting the asking price they are seeking then I guess it shouldn't matter what the end game is for the sets in question. I'm not shy about arm sweeping a good deal in a retail store, but here I'm leaning towards your way of thinking. That seems odd. I'd probably only buy one for personal use. Better yet, inform them of the true value (which you would hope they would have researched but apparently not), or buy them all, resell them yourself, and then donate the profits back to the program. 

• Like 2

That is strange. If it was a toys for tots booth and all proceeds went to support that program why wouldn't they just donate the sets instead of selling them, especially at steep discounts? As far as the ethics of buying for resale, it depends on the person. If they are getting the asking price they are seeking then I guess it shouldn't matter what the end game is for the sets in question. I'm not shy about arm sweeping a good deal in a retail store, but here I'm leaning towards your way of thinking. That seems odd. I'd probably only buy one for personal use. Better yet, inform them of the true value (which you would hope they would have researched but apparently not), or buy them all, resell them yourself, and then donate the profits back to the program. 
My thought is maybe the Lego was donated to Toys for Tots by a big box (maybe that's where all our clearance disappears to). Then Toys for Tots sells them for a really low price to move the product quickly before the holidays because everything they net they keep? Maybe the organization needs the cash more than the toys? Not sure. Maybe if I see them again I'll ask one of the volunteers (and buy more).

That happens a lot.  Habitat for humanity has long sold the donations from retailers to get the money needed.  Friend of mine that used to sell me walmart.com loads also sold to them at hi cost and they resold in there stores before the auctions on eBay they do.  

Cash is always needed more so they sell the donations. 

Edited by ravenb99