What Lego set did you buy today?

On 1/2/2019 at 6:15 AM, Gary81 said:

A single 41621 Weasley / Dumbledore BrickHeadz, at £14.97 just for interests sake after all the hype and enthusiasm on here. The only one with a mint box, the other two were not perfect so passed.

There were 41616 Hermione Graingers, 18 of them mostly in mint boxes. £6.97 each, but I passed completely. Alarm bells ringing with there being so many left and eBay sold prices aren’t suggesting this one may be as good.

I was never getting into the theme much as my rule one for buying is I need to like it.. and I don’t!

I was on the fence regarding Brickheadz...my initial gut reaction was: Lame (I also don't like Pop)

...saw a Vader and stormtrooper on sale at walmart and added those to round out my order...those were the first.

Then I saw Boba Fett.

Ordered one and was accidentally sent two...so that was fate for me to build my first Brickheadz.  The build was actually pretty cool and the weird combo of detail and the utter lack of detail was intriguing.

Anyway...Boba Fett Ownz me so I never stood a chance

13 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Bought these three for $130 total via OfferUp.  All sealed in box, although boxes not up to my usual standards (good, but not great).  Should still flip a nice profit.

9441 Kai's Blade Cycle
4867 Hogwarts
9446 Destiny's Bounty

just checked out my local Offerup...prices too good to be true for NIB...feels iffy

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

just checked out my local Offerup...prices too good to be true for NIB...feels iffy

Not sure if you mean my purchase was iffy, or if what you see in your area seems iffy. 

Certainly some questionable stuff on OfferUp - probably a fair amount of recently shoplifted stuff on there. 

As for the sets I just bought from a 15yo kid, I don't think he shoplifted them in 2012 and resold them 6 years later with his Dad in the room.  His Dad knew the Potter set had value, but I think he also realized the kid negotiated the deal.  I just said my kids were excited to get the sets.

5 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Not sure if you mean my purchase was iffy, or if what you see in your area seems iffy. 

Certainly some questionable stuff on OfferUp - probably a fair amount of recently shoplifted stuff on there. 

As for the sets I just bought from a 15yo kid, I don't think he shoplifted them in 2012 and resold them 6 years later with his Dad in the room.  His Dad knew the Potter set had value, but I think he also realized the kid negotiated the deal.  I just said my kids were excited to get the sets.

Clearly you haven't been reading the ethics thread.

OfferUp is simply put insane. You have people putting up stolen goods or incomplete items with little to no description outside of a photograph that may or may not pertain to what they’re selling. Then there’s the local sellers who didn’t know they’d clicked national shipping and angrily message you that information. And if you find a legit seller odds are you’ll find yourself in a bidding war, with messages like “hey, thanks for the offer, someone just came in above you a few bucks more. How much more you wanna go.”

All this said and I did score a complete 60095 for $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

48 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

I don't have an opinion about your purchases; sounds fine.  Talking about my local OfferUP...it's a new platform for me and my initial feel was too good to be true...basically 50 to 70% off RRP on current large sets.

Finally flinched and bought the UCS Y-Wing from Amazon.ca. 

After binge re-watching all the SW Movies over the holidays I’m on a SW kick of sorts!

I was going to wait for an EOL deal on this set but 30% off is a great deal IMO for a 2018 UCS. Gut it for just under $180CAD which converts to about $133USD.

C05096FA-065A-47C0-9F76-94D6D0D08659.png

• Like 1

Went a bit nuts at the LEGO Store today. Thanks to my son having a hockey game at a mall that has both a rink and a LEGO Store.

I ended up with three of the 100 Stores minifigs. Also finished out picking up the last four Brickheadz I needed to have the complete retail collection. That includes everything that’s been put out this year, too.

It helped that I needed to buy my nephew something for his birthday, so that took me most of the way there for the first 100 Stores fig.

My wife loves “girl” keychains, and these three are brand new:

c2c53a072c853166a517ba5f9892b99a.jpg

• Like 2

Went a bit nuts at the LEGO Store today. Thanks to my son having a hockey game at a mall that has both a rink and a LEGO Store.

I ended up with three of the 100 Stores minifigs. Also finished out picking up the last four Brickheadz I needed to have the complete retail collection. That includes everything that’s been put out this year, too.

It helped that I needed to buy my nephew something for his birthday, so that took me most of the way there for the first 100 Stores fig.

My wife loves “girl” keychains, and these three are brand new:

c2c53a072c853166a517ba5f9892b99a.jpg

Damnit you were at my mall!!! Haha I couldn’t make it to the store tonight (And was out of town all weekend) but they said they should still have some of the 100 stores minifigs by tomorrow morning. Headed there when they open.

Any chance you asked them how many they had left?

Damnit you were at my mall!!! Haha I couldn’t make it to the store tonight (And was out of town all weekend) but they said they should still have some of the 100 stores minifigs by tomorrow morning. Headed there when they open.

Any chance you asked them how many they had left?

Lol. Nope. I was trying not to draw attention to the fact it was my third visit to the store that same day.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

How is it that I am only just now hearing about the 100 Store minifigure? No email or anything! Would have been a nice snag.
There was an email from Lego, and it was posted here in the Daily Deals thread on Friday morning as soon as it went live (plus there was a new thread opened on Saturday as well). Ample warnings. You snooze you lose :)

That said, stores might still have some even though the promo ended yesterday. Worth a try going in for.
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

There was an email from Lego, and it was posted here in the Daily Deals thread on Friday morning as soon as it went live (plus there was a new thread opened on Saturday as well). Ample warnings. You snooze you lose :)

That said, stores might still have some even though the promo ended yesterday. Worth a try going in for.

Ugh, I typically follow but don't have alerts set and Friday I was Out Of Office. Oh well, I'll stop in and see but Im not holding my breath. There is a $100 store set too?

image.png.cb95cf7287057981d314087361120be6.png

Fallingwater was listed as new, but the box looked open. Bags on the inside may be sealed. Even if it is used and complete, it was a victory. Figured at the price it was better to buy first and not think too deeply.

image.png.19f5972289ae14953c2f24e4c89a0790.png

Seller was very responsive and a full slate of pictures led me to trust this one. Told me to keep an eye on his listings as he is unloading all his sets due to college. I'm sure if you track down this sold listing, you can find him.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

image.png.cb95cf7287057981d314087361120be6.png

Fallingwater was listed as new, but the box looked open. Bags on the inside may be sealed. Even if it is used and complete, it was a victory. Figured at the price it was better to buy first and not think too deeply.

image.png.19f5972289ae14953c2f24e4c89a0790.png

Seller was very responsive and a full slate of pictures led me to trust this one. Told me to keep an eye on his listings as he is unloading all his sets due to college. I'm sure if you track down this sold listing, you can find him.

eBay's buyer protection is great and I often snap up deals like this and buy in good faith. Anything obviously nicked is reported. I'd be tempted to open Fallingwater to ensure that the bags were sealed as you'll be carrying the can if they're not. Good score though!