What Lego set did you buy today?

A lady on Craigslist had these for sale the other day. Paid $50 for the Slave I and $20 each for the other three - all new/sealed. Nice lady, but I can’t help but feel a little strange about it seeing how they were all currently on the shelf sets.

She has since called me back to tell me she also has Passenger Train 60197 and 60233 City Donut Shop that she will sell me both for $100. Will update on if it works out or not. 

CD477863-060E-46D4-B7DB-4CA021A14372.jpeg

4 hours ago, Abelinkin said:

A lady on Craigslist had these for sale the other day. Paid $50 for the Slave I and $20 each for the other three - all new/sealed. Nice lady, but I can’t help but feel a little strange about it seeing how they were all currently on the shelf sets.

She has since called me back to tell me she also has Passenger Train 60197 and 60233 City Donut Shop that she will sell me both for $100. Will update on if it works out or not. 

0 percent chance these aren't stolen.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

These things affects everyone differently; I still get a nasty feeling whenever this topic comes up from a suspect purchase a year ago...just can't shake it.

I met with her originally on buying only the tie fighter. And then she asks if I’d be interested in the others she had in her car. So I said sure. That’s when it started to feel a little weird. I guess I should have known better. 

I look on Craigslist again here this morning and see 4 more new sets available, all off the shelf sets, all from the same area. I’m sure it’s her. Dang, and she really did seem like a decent person, like a mom just needing some extra money. Lesson learned I guess.

Just now, Abelinkin said:

I met with her originally on buying only the tie fighter. And then she asks if I’d be interested in the others she had in her car. So I said sure. That’s when it started to feel a little weird. I guess I should have known better. 

I look on Craigslist again here this morning and see 4 more new sets available, all off the shelf sets, all from the same area. I’m sure it’s her. Dang, and she really did seem like a decent person, like a mom just needing some extra money. Lesson learned I guess.

This stuff pops up here on CL. I always wonder how people are getting these. They are big boxes. Maybe going out the back door?

I have been guilty of picking up deals like this. I just never go back once I realize it. Don't be someones fence. 

23 minutes ago, Abelinkin said:

my observation has been the actual seller is "a nice person" in a suburban neighborhood...hard to differentiate from the stay at home mom legit-ly working the gig economy.

its really about the numbers not making sense...for where i live...crazy Walmart/Target deals don't exist for current merchandise..it's possible someone gets an extra se tor two from a birthday party or whatever...but multiple sets week after week...I just don't see a reasonable explanation other than theft. 

I once watched a guy walk out of my Suburbia-land Walmart with a Gold's Gym brand weight set in his cart.  Straight up rolled it right out of the store and stole it.  I followed him and told the greeter while the guy still hadn't quite gotten out of the door, and the greeter said there's nothing they can do about it, but he'd "tell the manager."  If you can't stop a man with a 200-pound box, what's to stop someone from going to Walmart every day after work and stealing a Lego set.

I once watched a guy walk out of my Suburbia-land Walmart with a Gold's Gym brand weight set in his cart.  Straight up rolled it right out of the store and stole it.  I followed him and told the greeter while the guy still hadn't quite gotten out of the door, and the greeter said there's nothing they can do about it, but he'd "tell the manager."  If you can't stop a man with a 200-pound box, what's to stop someone from going to Walmart every day after work and stealing a Lego set.
Similar experience.....watched a group of knuckleheads walk right out the door with three TVs, jumped in the getaway car, and were gone in seconds. I reported it and they said they would look into it....

9 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Walgreens is the same way. My brother is a pharmacist there and says they are told not to attempt to stop anyone from shoplifting. He says there's this one homeless guy that knows this and comes in periodically, walks to the food aisle, grabs food off the shelf, and walks right out.

I've been tempted to test this rule. :lol:

Edited by oneknightr

10 hours ago, Abelinkin said:

Ooooooooh you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why, Santa Claus is coming to town, and he doesn't look kindly to knowingly aiding and abetting criminals! Ho! Ho! Ho!

31 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

It’s not worth the time, costs, and personal and legal risks that might arise. They already factor in a 1% shrink.

What they do have is a central security team that attempts to identify you (I.E. facial recognition, or credit card at self checkout), logs you, and if you continue to steal they’ll continue to log those amounts until it reaches felony level.

These big companies don’t waste time on misdemeanor theft anymore, unless it’s blatant and obvious but even then you’d likely just get a warning. But they will get you for felony.

Long story short, don’t steal. Big companies aren’t stupid if you think you got away.

On 12/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, oneknightr said:

Walgreens is the same way. My brother is a pharmacist there and says they are told not to attempt to stop anyone from shoplifting. He says there's this one homeless guy that knows this and comes in periodically, walks to the food aisle, grabs food off the shelf, and walks right out.

I've been tempted to test this rule. :lol:

Just imagine what happens when everyone figures this out.  They'll need to change their name to Five-Finger-Discount.