What Lego set did you buy today?

2 hours ago, Tarka said:

I bought a used copy of Anakin's Y-wing (8037) for a personal build. It was sold as complete but a couple of minor pieces were missing and one was broken. Not sure if this is worth making a fuss over? I could just email LEGO and tell them they were missing. Feel a bit uneasy doing this though as it's obviously dishonest and I had to order ~20 missing pieces recently for my Slave 1 set so I don't want them thinking I'm at it.

Really?

. Feel a bit uneasy doing this though as it's obviously dishonest and I had to order ~20 missing pieces recently for my Slave 1 set so I don't want them thinking I'm at it.

Kind of odd - I’ve been buying LEGO for over 15 years, 3 kids, plus parting out for sale, hundreds if not thousands of sets. Never have I ever come across a single set missing a piece. Not even a 1x1 tile. Actually always receive a couple extras, esp weapons.

I have had missing pieces. It’s not common and I build many sets. Last year I was building ghostbusters HQ and was missing a whole bag. I had an extra bag in place of the missing one. I took my set into my local Lego store (they know me in there) to see if they could swap out the missing bag from one that they had in stock. They would not. They made me return the whole set 2/3 built and they gave me a brand new sealed box. I never rebuilt the new one they gave me. It was a bit of a grind to build and I had no interest in building it a second time. 

2 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Yesterday, $74 each at Walmart.1546050047149.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Nice score. I know we see this all the time but it still baffles me to see WM put a relatively brand new set on clearance, only to have it restocked again at full price a month later. I bet if you go into this same store after they reset their toy department they will have more of these at full rrp. So odd.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

Nice score. I know we see this all the time but it still baffles me to see WM put a relatively brand new set on clearance, only to have it restocked again at full price a month later. I bet if you go into this same store after they reset their toy department they will have more of these at full rrp. So odd.

Most came from a small town store, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't restock as they only have one side of one aisle there with Lego.  I was just happy the tracker was right as another store only had 2 of the 8 listed.

6 hours ago, Emvisawthatswho said:

Kind of odd - I’ve been buying LEGO for over 15 years, 3 kids, plus parting out for sale, hundreds if not thousands of sets. Never have I ever come across a single set missing a piece. Not even a 1x1 tile. Actually always receive a couple extras, esp weapons.

Slave 1 is the first set I ever had this with over a similar time frame. All of the missing pieces were from the same bag so I think a minibag was probably missing. I suppose it shows how good LEGO's quality control is when something like this is uncommon.

Edited by Tarka

11 hours ago, Emvisawthatswho said:

I've never had a missing piece, but I have had to get replacements several times. I've had broken pieces, the correct piece in the wrong colour (like a helmet that was grey instead of black), and pieces with the wrong chirality (i.e., a 'right' wing piece instead of a 'left' one.). All of these would weigh exactly the same as the correct pieces.

Edited by Captain_chaos

On 12/27/2018 at 7:02 PM, landphieran said:

500x Minecraft skeleton attack 21146 @ 19.99

Ha, and I was excited when I landed 3 at $24.99! Where on earth did you get 500 from? Not asking for a secret source, just wondering if you have B&M stores around you with that level of inventory. I'm impressed! 

To go along with three $74 Great Halls, I was able to pick up three of 10764 Juniors Central Airports for $30 apiece. I know the Juniors set has been sitting at $40 for awhile, but I really like it and have been picking them up here and there for sub-$40 when I can. It's not a set that has been talked about a lot on here, which could mean 1) no one likes it for investment purposes (doubtful), 2) it's not at a price yet that people like for picking it up en masse (likely), or 3) people are secretly hoarding it and will only talk about it once it has disappeared. Time will tell, I suppose. 

2 hours ago, BillyBricks said:

To go along with three $74 Great Halls, 

I totally get that 25% off of a popular set that's never been on sale to date...is a great deal for personal collection and grandiose gift; but  from resell perspective that would barely cover fees and shipping at RRP.

Since the set is at least a year away from retiring; is it your plan to hold for a couple of years and aim for 50% over RRP?  The castle also has a reputation of being redone by Lego every few years. Curious about your intention.

thanks  

19 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I totally get that 25% off of a popular set that's never been on sale to date...is a great deal for personal collection and grandiose gift; but  from resell perspective that would barely cover fees and shipping at RRP.

Since the set is at least a year away from retiring; is it your plan to hold for a couple of years and aim for 50% over RRP?  The castle also has a reputation of being redone by Lego every few years. Curious about your intention.

thanks  

Nothing extraordinary ... many have the funds to hold them for that long .....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Anybody selling Potter sets for RRP is doing this all wrong.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, legorunner said:

Ha, and I was excited when I landed 3 at $24.99! Where on earth did you get 500 from? Not asking for a secret source, just wondering if you have B&M stores around you with that level of inventory. I'm impressed! 

I'm guessing Kohl's, they had a ton online for a few hours

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 8:25 PM, terrymc4677 said:

Maybe I've been completely oblivious but I've never seen WM restock a set they've clearanced already.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:42 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

thanks  

No problem. In a nutshell, my intention is to hold them until at least next Christmas, and one of my stock will eventually get built. Here's my extended (re: long-winded) thought process:

1) It's Harry Potter. As an elementary school teacher, I've seen just how evergreen this theme/world is by witnessing the students that come through my room every year who didn't grow up when the books originally came out yet many of these children are just as diehard about the series as those who were around for the phenomenon the first time around. This sort of thing helped lead to most of the stores around me going out of stock with this set at full price in November/December. Not a single other HP set did the same--even Hogwarts Express was discounted almost everywhere. 

2) The castle really isn't being redone every few years--the last version was 7 years ago, I believe. I really can't see them redoing the Great Hall with the way they are setting up this modular-style building. Of course, if they keep coming up with attachments (green house, potions room, etc.), then they will most likely aim to keep the Great Hall on shelves for a long time to come and my ability to sell for a profit will be hindered, but this isn't getting remade any time soon. 

3) The percent off isn't really where my focus is. Give me 25% off this and 50% off LEGO Batman and I'm going to choose this as the place to put my money. I was purchasing 41615 when it was only 20% off during the Target "spend 50, get $10 GC sale" because it was a set I believed in even though the discount wasn't great. That purchasing seems to be paying off earlier than I thought it would if retirement is really here. Since I'm pretty small-time, I do tend to wait for great discounts, but those don't always come, so sometimes I'm purchasing at, or close to, RRP. 

4) As @boliramirez said, I have the funds to be able to sit on these sets. I never put more on my credit cards than I can comfortably pay off at the end of the month, and my total LEGO spending for the year is less than what some people on here are spending in a day or two. I want to make a profit, but I don't view these sets as anything other than a way to get a bit better of a return on my money than I would in other avenues; they're not meant to be some new revenue stream that supports my family.  

Now, could I turn that money around more quickly by purchasing other items and flipping them in the next 6 months after they have been officially retired since December/January? Definitely, and I am aiming for other sets with that purpose in mind. But I like this set and I am happy with the price. I know @terrymc4677 said you're doing it wrong if you are selling HP at RRP, but during the BN double-discount sale, I put some of my money toward Great Halls and then sold a few a month later for $20-25 profit each locally because I thought it would be much longer down the road that I would see an actual discount on the set and didn't want to hold them all until Spring/Summer. A 30% ROI is not impressive, but it made me happy after only a month. Now I've built that stock back up a little.   

To get back on topic: I picked up a lonely 41616 Hermione today at Target. It was on my way to get eggs...

• Like 1