21050 - Architecture Studio

TheOrcKing

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2015 at 8:45 AM, exciter1 said:

Is anyone still picking up a few of these here and there for the long haul?

I picked this up last night for grins and giggles, I was blown away by the quality of the book. It's really detailed both factually and in terms of its visual layout. It includes interviews with architects representing some of the biggest firms today, in which they explain their personal connection to LEGO and how LEGO imbues the core concepts of design in children (of all ages!). I will probably pick up a few more sets for play, but I don't see this as much of an investment set for the same reasons others have cited: I think it will be in production for a long time, and the price per brick is inflated.

For those interested in buying this set to explore the concepts of architectural design, I would also recommend the LEGO Architecture book by Tom Alphin. It's a lot less dense than the book that comes with 21050, but for someone with very limited knowledge of architecture (like myself), it gives a quick and engaging overview of the history of architecture. It also includes instructions for small builds that are representative of the various styles of architectural design, which makes it a great companion piece for the set. Even without this set, it works well as a nice little coffee table book. 

But you don't have to take my word for it!

reading-rainbow-remix-feature.jpg

Edited by tjj1984
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Since it's been a year since this thread was active and it looks like this set is finally going to disappear, just wondering what anybody's thoughts were on its EOL future.  If I recall these were going for $350 way back when they were correcting the problem with the book.  I'm getting them for $102 but even being conservative and having these go for $275 will still make me do jumping jacks.  Thoughts?

Guest TabbyBoy
9 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

Since it's been a year since this thread was active and it looks like this set is finally going to disappear, just wondering what anybody's thoughts were on its EOL future.  If I recall these were going for $350 way back when they were correcting the problem with the book.  I'm getting them for $102 but even being conservative and having these go for $275 will still make me do jumping jacks.  Thoughts?

It's a tough call. These have hardly been discounted in the UK, but are often 33% off at Amazon EU. They've been around for so long that they're not rare anymore. I'll only bite if 50% off and will only get a couple.

With tomorrows delivery I should be around 150 AS's and that will probably be my limit unless I really start to see sparks fly towards the end.  While I can't prove this I believe that there are a lot of schools that use this set so there will be a demand for it long after it's gone. 6166 & 5560 are still in amazons top 50 after all these years.  I got rid of all of my 6166 years ago when it hit $60. Btw, I have some AS's with 06 for the seal code year but the last two shipments I got straight from the LEGO warehouse were 04 for the year.

Edited by LegoSteve
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

With tomorrows delivery I should be around 150 AS's and that will probably be my limit unless I really start to see sparks fly towards the end.  While I can't prove this I believe that there are a lot of schools that use this set so there will be a demand for it long after it's gone. 6166 & 5560 are still in amazons top 50 after all these years.  I got rid of all of my 6166 years ago when it hit $60. Btw, I have some AS's with 06 for the seal code year but the last two shipments I got straight from the LEGO warehouse were 04 for the year.

Sometimes I think I have gone mad with buying a certain quantity, but then you guys come around the corner ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

My biggest concern would be a 2.0 version.  This seems like the kind of set that might make sense to keep around in one form or another.  I could see them releasing an architecture pack through their education line, but I'm not sure how many schools would be looking to get this set on the secondary market.

Back when I was selling 6166 I had a back & forth with a dad & he said that his kids school had it on the syllabus even though the school was aware that the set was retired. Seeing how slow public education moves I guess I shouldn't be surprised why 6166 is still in Amazon's top 50. I've also experienced a new phenomenon this Q4 for me, ebay buyers picking up 5, 10, even a dozen of one set at a time. One guy purchased 5 trevi fountains and was going to ship them to China which i now hear happens a lot. Another guy purchased my last 10 Space Needles. Hoping to have the same luck with ASs starting this June.

7 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

Back when I was selling 6166 I had a back & forth with a dad & he said that his kids school had it on the syllabus even though the school was aware that the set was retired. Seeing how slow public education moves I guess I shouldn't be surprised why 6166 is still in Amazon's top 50. I've also experienced a new phenomenon this Q4 for me, ebay buyers picking up 5, 10, even a dozen of one set at a time. One guy purchased 5 trevi fountains and was going to ship them to China which i now hear happens a lot. Another guy purchased my last 10 Space Needles. Hoping to have the same luck with ASs starting this June.

Yeah, Lego prices are much higher in China and you-know-who haven´t cloned that line yet so importers can still make money on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the price wars between Amazon and Wal-Mart has begun. So, any speculation on how this set will do EOL after a year? 

My own take: $150 which is still at retail. It's a niche set and a bunch of white bricks.  I like it buuuut...it ain't no Lincoln Memorial.

• 2 months later...