Recent Lego store visit

I was at the Cincinnati LEGO store today, noticed a few things and talked with the employees.

I cant speak for all LEGO stores but this one no longer carries kingdoms Joust, Fire Brigade, Super Star Destroyer or any of the 2012 LOTR series (they do have all hobbit and new 2013 LOTR) They said they wont be getting any of those sets in. They wouldnt comment on them being "retired" but i would say its good indication they are on the way out

And yes they still have Death Star on their shelves :notfair:

My local store still has 5 Vampyre Castles, marked at 20% off. The manager was telling me he doesn't like Lego's clearance prices, he says at 20% they won't sell quick enough for his liking. I said, yeah, they're cheaper at walmart right now, but he knew that already. Lego stores are going to have to change their policies if they expect to have enough real estate to display all the forthcoming 2013 sets...

My local store still has 5 Vampyre Castles, marked at 20% off. The manager was telling me he doesn't like Lego's clearance prices, he says at 20% they won't sell quick enough for his liking. I said, yeah, they're cheaper at walmart right now, but he knew that already. Lego stores are going to have to change their policies if they expect to have enough real estate to display all the forthcoming 2013 sets...

Yeah. I think in this case it was the wide spread Walmart clearance. Everyone who was picking got them from Walmart. Those who couldn't get them at Walmart probably don't have a lego store close to them either.

I was at the Cincinnati LEGO store today, noticed a few things and talked with the employees.

I cant speak for all LEGO stores but this one no longer carries kingdoms Joust, Fire Brigade, Super Star Destroyer or any of the 2012 LOTR series (they do have all hobbit and new 2013 LOTR) They said they wont be getting any of those sets in. They wouldnt comment on them being "retired" but i would say its good indication they are on the way out

And yes they still have Death Star on their shelves :notfair:

did you happen to see any tower bridges in the store?

1st wave LOTR has been gone for a long time from my store, a really long time. I'm not sure why they chose not to restock it months ago before there was any indication of retirement, but I think they just decided they would cover up all of that space with Hobbit sets and not bother with LOTR anymore.  

did you happen to see any tower bridges in the store?

Yes they still have tower bridge for sale at the cincinnati store.

I'll be checking on Thursday.  I live 30 minutes from the Cincinnati store.  I can't figure out what to use the 10% off coupon on?

Tower of Orthanc, save $20 with the the 10% coupon, best bang for your buck. Unless youre looking to invest, then hold off on that one for another year. Maybe grab a haunted house if youre investing.

I'm going to lean towards investing.  I usually try to get sets to build at 20% off or greater (doesn't always work out that way).

Yeah, as Spartikis said I would have recommended Orthanc for building, but for investing it's kind hard since LEGO stores do not usually have the better prices out there. I have the same "problem" as you with a 10% coupon, but I will probably be getting the Mini Modulars to hold.

20% OFF? or 10%.either way that's very frustrating considering i just bought one for full price in the lego store. 

They were listed at full price, but if you get the LEGO magazine there is a 10% off coupon on the back. VIP rewards basically offsets the sales tax and the 10% takes the Tower from $200 to $180, not a CRAZY deal but more affordable. But for me even thats to expensive, i usuaully buy used sets for my personal collection. I dont think i paid over $100 for any building in my modular series (excusding corner cafe and market street which i built off brick link)...all used set off ebay.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I too am going to the local lego store today with that 10% off coupon.  Looking for a investment set but haven't pinpointedany one set yet?