Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

1 hour ago, Captain_Obvious said:

I got an Oppenheimer ticket for tomorrow, super stoked, but only to experience the cinematography -- not the story. To me, Nolan does it better than anyone else. Man, the opening of Dark Knight will forever be etched in my memory... I'm feigning for more! 

Same thing for Joker, Jones, and Avatar. I don't remember those stories at all lol, but I remember those colors and the overall feel. Reminds me of a saying that I always apply in my business presentations, "People don't remember what you say, they remember how you make them feel".  

Cinematography good, dialogue editing bad

• Like 1

Watched the Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie and it was really good. A lot of action and effects with some genuine humor. I believe the cast worked well together with a believable comradery. Chris Pines was having fun and Michelle Rodriguez being her usual "badass babe" self. Rege-Jean Page as a Paladin felt perfect.

Seeing the cameos of the animated television series characters was charming as it was heartbreaking. Depending on when the film's tale is taking place, those poor kids have been trapped in the realms long as I am old. Ouch. (There was a planned series finale titled "Requiem" officially written by series writer Micheal Reaves but the series was cancelled before that could be produced. Fortunately, the fans banded together taking audio from a script read with many of the original voice actors found in the bonus features of the DVD release years ago and came up with this short. A little rough around the edges but nevertheless some closure to the series.)

Anyway, altogether it felt like a competent game movie. It can come across as a series of fetch quests set in a fantasy world where everything exists with everyone being rather casual about all of it ....just like a roleplaying game.

Maybe a bit of a spoiler but I absolutely freakin' loved the dragon. He's a chonky boy! Haha. Also, the graveyard scene was funnier than it probably should have been.

• Like 4

On 7/23/2023 at 11:18 PM, TheOrcKing said:

Anyway, altogether it felt like a competent game movie. It can come across as a series of fetch quests set in a fantasy world where everything exists with everyone being rather casual about all of it ....just like a roleplaying game.

The fetch quests were appropriate for the movie. 

I still think the movie was a bit too long for general audience.  But  for the extended version, most of the gags could have been prolonged.  The dragon chase and the graveyard scenes could have been dragged on for a few minutes more.  

Saw the Barbie movie with my wife last night. I don’t get the hype. The first thing my wife said upon leaving the theater, “apparently everyone on Rotten Tomatoes are sheep”.

It had a few amusing moments, but nothing had me laughing harder than a light chuckle. The plot was boring, and the messages seemed so convoluted and contradictory it’s hard to make sense of them. It felt like a bad kids show with adult themes. The primary message that I took away from it was that “hurt people hurt others”, but from listening to other’s opinions on it, this seems to be lost on them. Also, I think you can make the argument that the story was actually about Ken, as he is the only character to complete a full story circle. Again, appears lost on the audience.

The weirdest thing for me was the theater being silent for most of the movie, then when the credits played everyone clapped loudly. I guess they were just thrilled it was finally over?

12 minutes ago, spener90 said:

Saw the Barbie movie with my wife last night. I don’t get the hype. The first thing my wife said upon leaving the theater, “apparently everyone on Rotten Tomatoes are sheep”.

It had a few amusing moments, but nothing had me laughing harder than a light chuckle. The plot was boring, and the messages seemed so convoluted and contradictory it’s hard to make sense of them. It felt like a bad kids show with adult themes. The primary message that I took away from it was that “hurt people hurt others”, but from listening to other’s opinions on it, this seems to be lost on them. Also, I think you can make the argument that the story was actually about Ken, as he is the only character to complete a full story circle. Again, appears lost on the audience.

The weirdest thing for me was the theater being silent for most of the movie, then when the credits played everyone clapped loudly. I guess they were just thrilled it was finally over?

My wife and daughter were both disappointed too.

saw Barbie tonight and actually liked that better than Oppenheimer.  Little Margot biased though.  

saw some other reviews ask why 70mm was needed for classrooms and interogation rooms on Oppenheimer so guess wasn't the only one.  

Mission Impossible still the best of the summer,  Cruise 2 years in a row.  Just makes enjoyable movies.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 12/2/2023 at 4:40 PM, KvHulk said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting on a Fallout/Wasteland series/movie since 1988! I cannot contain my excitement!
Walter Goggins as The Ghoul. POGGERS 

They managed to get the look down from the general Vault-Tec attire, power armor, Mr. Handy, ghoul, and other bits & bobs. Only things missing from the trailer would be the typical remnants of the 1950's propaganda in this alternate universe of "if the bomb were dropped". And Nuka Cola, of course.

All the same, everything looks promising. At least with the Fallout series, there are generally canonical ideas and broad imagery over timelines. Hopefully the tale the series tells keeps to the spirit of the franchise. Also, hoping to see some Deathclaws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...