Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

Anyway, heres just the movies otherwise the list would be too long:

.....I don't see a single 'stinker' on that there list at all. Bravo, my friend. :fan:

Have you seen the trailer for "Gatchaman" aka "Battle of the Planets" yet?

Nice.

Adding another oddity.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ov8yLJkknY

And....

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (who cares what, this woman is hilarious!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mn6mtbQUI

Alright, I have a TV series for ya that I bet no one here has even heard of. ....Well, maybe.

It's wierd and offbeat to say the least but trippy as heck far as sci-fi stories go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olr48JgHzWo

Is that the one with perverted space ship ?

You know what is cheesy but I love it?

Burn Notice

I love the first 5 seasons of it.  Last season was rather too convoluted for a show filled with car chases and explosions galore.  I prefer Michael and the gang as the A team (ie helping the oppressed) rather than being international spy-master...  Plus he killed on screen... :o

The one where Michael dressed in red suit and pretended to be El Diablo was the highlight of the show IMNHO.  It was unbelievably cheesy and hilarious with a dash of mysticism. Explosions included of course.

Speaking of Burn Notice, any fan of the Pretender here ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI9C-zMwWZE

Bonus point to whoever can guess the relation between Burn Notice and the Pretender

Ha ha at you guys knowing Gatchaman. I always assume the fanbase for the Tokusatsu stuff to be so small but hen I'm always surprised who I find. I'm a big fan of Ultraman, UltraSeven, and Ryuesi Ningen Zon (Zone Fighter) as well. I just bought the box set of Super Robot Red Baron.  

Brianl3, if the more "Americanized" Kaiju stuff is more your speed, you might want to check out Guillermo Del Toro's "Pacific Rim" that comes out in theaters in a few weeks.

Guest eightbrick

Brianl3, if the more "Americanized" Kaiju stuff is more your speed, you might want to check out Guillermo Del Toro's "Pacific Rim" that comes out in theaters in a few weeks.

Nah, I was just kidding with the Power Rangers references. In fact, I would probably rather watch Gatchaman than Pacific Rim ( I saw the trailer and the over-excessive use of special effects made me dizzy).

Ha ha at you guys knowing Gatchaman. I always assume the fanbase for the Tokusatsu stuff to be so small but hen I'm always surprised who I find. I'm a big fan of Ultraman, UltraSeven, and Ryuesi Ningen Zon (Zone Fighter) as well. I just bought the box set of Super Robot Red Baron.  

JoshTX, are you familiar with this obscure show called Megaloman ?  He was Ultraman's cousin with much better hair  :afro:

This was my first introduction to Tokusatsu shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uReAogdskFU

JoshTX, are you familiar with this obscure show called Megaloman ?  He was Ultraman's cousin with much better hair  :afro:

This was my first introduction to Tokusatsu shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uReAogdskFU

I've seen that trailer before and am familiar with it, but sadly, I've never actually seen episodes of the show. I don't think that one was ever localized, and I haven't tried to import it from another region.

Not sure if you're a fan of Jonny Sokko and his giant robot, but that one was recently localized.

I've seen that trailer before and am familiar with it, but sadly, I've never actually seen episodes of the show. I don't think that one was ever localized, and I haven't tried to import it from another region.

Not sure if you're a fan of Jonny Sokko and his giant robot, but that one was recently localized.

Giant Robo was way before my time.  I saw a few snipets online and was amazed to see how much things have changed, yet still the same.  This was the same reaction watching Megaloman many years after I watched it for the first time.

Is that the one with perverted space ship ?

Um, probably. It was a living ship with stuff like a shower with a hose that came down and it looked like a, well, certain 'private' part.

....Yeah, it was pretty perverted.

I love the first 5 seasons of it.  Last season was rather too convoluted for a show filled with car chases and explosions galore.  I prefer Michael and the gang as the A team (ie helping the oppressed) rather than being international spy-master...  Plus he killed on screen... :o

The one where Michael dressed in red suit and pretended to be El Diablo was the highlight of the show IMNHO.  It was unbelievably cheesy and hilarious with a dash of mysticism. Explosions included of course.

I agree, and that episode as El Diablo was great! Everytime he snapped his fingers, BOOM!!!!

Speaking of Burn Notice, any fan of the Pretender here ?

I loved The Pretender back then and still do now. That was awesome.

Bonus point to whoever can guess the relation between Burn Notice and the Pretender

Let's see. One, the two main characters from both shows did similiar things of helping the oppressed. And two, Michael T. Weiss was the actor in the title role of The Pretender, and later on starred in an episode of Burn Notice. I can't remember which episode; I suck at the names of those.

I'm a big fan of Ultraman, UltraSeven, and Ryuesi Ningen Zon (Zone Fighter) as well. I just bought the box set of Super Robot Red Baron.

I was just thinking of mentioning the quirky Ultraman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rClDI3yWG94

Yeah, they are even calling the monsters in that movie "Kaiju" which I'm not sure if I should find amusing or ridiculous.
  • Like 1

Guest eightbrick

I was just thinking of mentioning the quirky Ultraman!

Yeah, they are even calling the monsters in that movie "Kaiju" which I'm not sure if I should find amusing or ridiculous.

I love how everyone in this thread is discovering that other people share the same interests as them (besides Lego, of course). Gotta love those old-school intros, eh? Reminds me of the one for "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESxWyPoK6tA

I love how everyone in this thread is discovering that other people share the same interests as them (besides Lego, of course). Gotta love those old-school intros, eh? Reminds me of the one for "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

Great classic spagetti western! Oh darn, you had to remind me one of my favorite westerns which was the American equivalent to "Seven Samurai".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG-ZxrG7htU

And then there's this series that gave me many a good laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsIWUOmq2Y

Seven Samurai! I went through a pretty serious chambara phase a few years ago. Here are some of my favorites:

The Twilight Samurai

The Samurai Trilogy

The Sword of Doom

Lady Snowblood

Lone Wolf and Cub (all of them)

Shogun's Samurai

Yojimbo

Samurai Champloo

Afro Samurai

I loved The Pretender back then and still do now. That was awesome.

Let's see. One, the two main characters from both shows did similiar things of helping the oppressed. And two, Michael T. Weiss was the actor in the title role of The Pretender, and later on starred in an episode of Burn Notice. I can't remember which episode; I suck at the names of those.

True, but I was thinking of an older connection:

Jeffrey Donovan who plays Michael Westen had a rather integral role in the Pretender.  He played Kyle, Jarod's younger brother in the Pretender 

Speaking of recent samurai movies, has anyone seen 13 Assassins ?

That was probably the bloodiest samurai movie I have ever seen.  Half of the movie was basically people killing people with katana or other weapons.  The movie started slow but the fight scenes toward the end are long and tedious.  Some parts of the ending were rather ambiguous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgPC74-Tde8

Guest eightbrick

Speaking of recent samurai movies, has anyone seen 13 Assassins ?

That was probably the bloodiest samurai movie I have ever seen.  Half of the movie was basically people killing people with katana or other weapons.  The movie started slow but the fight scenes toward the end are long and tedious.  Some parts of the ending were rather ambiguous.

Long tedious fight scenes? I might pass on that one (sorry). I find that if movies spend too much time fighting,the "final battle" sort of loses its climatic appeal, because by then you already feel like a kid who is dizzy from making way to many explosion sounds while shaking his head.

Then again, careful use of intense fight scenes can get the plot flowing again.

Long tedious fight scenes? I might pass on that one (sorry). I find that if movies spend too much time fighting,the "final battle" sort of loses its climatic appeal, because by then you already feel like a kid who is dizzy from making way to many explosion sounds while shaking his head.

Then again, careful use of intense fight scenes can get the plot flowing again.

Every exposition on the first half of the movie was in preparation for the long fight scenes at the end.  However, to be fair, they had 13 characters and IIRC they did a pretty good job in dividing the movie time amoing those characters.  It was just too much on screen bloodbath for my taste.  It was almost like I had to watch several Sesame Street, Barney, or the Wiggles DVDs afterwards to balance things out.

Anyone seen Ghost Dog? If you think you might be interested in samurai films, Ghost Dog is good beginner flick. It's actually about a modern day hitman, but it gives a very traditional take on bushido philosophy and ritual. It's a wise, subtle, even-tempered, bloody film :)

Anyone seen Ghost Dog? If you think you might be interested in samurai films, Ghost Dog is good beginner flick. It's actually about a modern day hitman, but it gives a very traditional take on bushido philosophy and ritual. It's a wise, subtle, even-tempered, bloody film :)

Oh! Me! Me! Me! :hyper:

There was some pretty cool 'kill' scenes like the one up through the sink!

• Like 1