My first major MOC: I need tips.

ExoBro94

As some of you know, I'm attending college as a Film Production major concentrating in Production Design (set design). I have never attempted to build a large scale MOC before, but I am extremely interested in creating a MASSIVE Hollywood Studio Backlot MOC. The scene would be made up of various buildings, lots, and vehicles. I feel that creating this MOC will allow me to directly incorporate a lot of the awesome licensed sets threw depicting the "filming" of the movies. And because I am a Production Design major, I am very particular about the look and feel of things I create, so it is going to be authentic and over the top. 

I was wondering if any of you could point me to some articles/sights regarding MOCs and innovative building techniques. I would also greatly appreciate if you had any direct tips from first hand experience. War stories from the LEGO MOC trenches would be awesome!

Guest eightbrick

I don't really dabble with much MOCing other than some modern style housing, but I dug up a couple sites that may be useful to you. Good luck!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16627

A bunch of building and city MOCs, may offer some inspiration

http://www.bergsby.com/taani/legoland/DSCN2335.JPG

A Hollywood Backdrop creation at Legoland somewhere. Is this the kind of feel you are looking for?

Sorry if that wasn't helpful, I will probably be able to find more relevant information if you can give me a really good image of what you are looking to do. Would the MOC be based off real film locations in Hollywood or will you be designing your own buildings? Sounds like a great project!

As some of you know, I'm attending college as a Film Production major concentrating in Production Design (set design). I have never attempted to build a large scale MOC before, but I am extremely interested in creating a MASSIVE Hollywood Studio Backlot MOC. The scene would be made up of various buildings, lots, and vehicles. I feel that creating this MOC will allow me to directly incorporate a lot of the awesome licensed sets threw depicting the "filming" of the movies. And because I am a Production Design major, I am very particular about the look and feel of things I create, so it is going to be authentic and over the top. 

I was wondering if any of you could point me to some articles/sights regarding MOCs and innovative building techniques. I would also greatly appreciate if you had any direct tips from first hand experience. War stories from the LEGO MOC trenches would be awesome!

that sounds like its gonna be an awesome MOC  would love to see pictures when its done.  I wish I could offer some tips but I could use some myself lol.  Good luck.

Sounds like a great idea for a MoC ExoBro.  Tying in all the licensed theme stuff to a Hollywood backlot studio would worked really well.

I have little experience with MoC's  I'm part way through my first one.  Kermando is correct about the budget.  Unless you are disciplined and can plan out your build extremely well before you buy the parts it's hard not to go overboard.  I think I've bought 3 times as many parts as I need for mine!  If you can use some of the Lego building software around that might help but I have zero experience with that.

Good luck, and keep us posted :)

Well, my MOC's always are all over the place, since I don't really plan them out. I would try to write out a plan of what you want, then tweak it when you get down to building. For MOC's I always prefer things simple, so if I were you, I'd stick to the "skeleton", then fill in the flesh. Sort of gruesome, but that's what I got! 

I tried to make a trench warfare MOC once, but it didn't work out so well, because I tried to make a solid platform first, then actually a gap, then another platform, and so on. This meant that I ran out of bricks very fast, and didn't get to far. Instead, I would build the trenches above the surface of the terrain so that they pop out a little. By doing this you can make a larger MOC and it is slightly easier to work with.

Good luck, and by all means, give us some pictures!