10179 - Good Deal or Potential Scam?

stephen_rockefeller

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I find it amazing that people are going head over heels for a set from a seller with a more than questionable feedback. This is the listing in question.

He's got a feedback of 18, most of it earned since 28/09 and private, no pics with his username (I asked for one and he said he'd send one after the auction was closed) and the description looks a little bit of stock description.

Ripoff all the way.

I have been the first to say that ebay is crappy and full of scams but bottom line is this, Ebay is second to none in rectifying scams and making sure they protect buyers. Unfortunately this leads to little protection for sellers. I feel way more comfortable buying on ebay than selling thats for sure. With that being said I dont really see the issue with this listing, not saying its not a scam though.

If I had the money, I wouldn't buy from him. The fact that he didn't want to post a picture of the item with a piece of paper with his username raised a red flag to me. That's the main reason why I think that this is a scam. Also, and this is another red flag for me, 18 positive points, all as a buyer from sellers that have something like 70% of their items for less than $15. And you can't see what he bought. I know that eBay would cover me if I was to buy this item and got screwed. I just wouldn't take the chance with this guy.

• 5 months later...

It is a complete 10179 with the original manual, all minifigs but does not have the box. Asking $800. What do you guys think? If I get this, are there any pieces that are unique to this set that I should make sure are accounted for? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It is a complete 10179 with the original manual, all minifigs but does not have the box. Asking $800. What do you guys think?

If I get this, are there any pieces that are unique to this set that I should make sure are accounted for?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Link?

Parts that need to be accounted for are the printed radar dish, sticker sheet, bluish grey rigging at the rear(2), light bluish grey levers. These are probably the highest dollar pieces that can be seen. There is also a large dark red plate at the bottom that can be pricey as well, but it is relatively unseen.

Well, assuming it is legit, its an amazing deal which is why wintersun would think it is a scam. It is a Craigslist, eBay or other listing? Just because this set is worth double that amount, and likely to go higher than that, I would say it is a scam. The seller has enough sense to realize that it is worth more than original MSRP of $500, so I would steer away from this.

Well, assuming it is legit, its an amazing deal which is why wintersun would think it is a scam. It is a Craigslist, eBay or other listing? Just because this set is worth double that amount, and likely to go higher than that, I would say it is a scam. The seller has enough sense to realize that it is worth more than original MSRP of $500, so I would steer away from this.

Local craigslist so I can see it in person. I spoke with him on the phone and he says all pieces are there, all minifigs but it is such a large piece that it could be missing something and I wouldn't notice. He offered for me to come to his house and look at it. He is right down the road from me. I don't mind a missing grey piece here or there, I just don't want to have to buy some individual pieces that cost a fortune because they are unique to this set.

Since you can see it in person, get accustomed to the parts I listed and what they look like. The wrong radar dish could cost you $100, and the riggings just as much because they were only for this ship. The levers are also discontinued, I just sold 3 of them on ebay for more than a $1.50/ea, and there are over 50 of them on this ship, so get to know them, because they are much more on bricklink and nobody has more than a couple of them. The ability to see this in person makes a huge difference because assuming his original parts are there, this is a great deal and you can turn it around for about $1500 right away. I hope I don't sound too preachy, but it's a bunch of money and I don't want to see anybody lose their butt on here.

Since you can see it in person, get accustomed to the parts I listed and what they look like. The wrong radar dish could cost you $100, and the riggings just as much because they were only for this ship. The levers are also discontinued, I just sold 3 of them on ebay for more than a $1.50/ea, and there are over 50 of them on this ship, so get to know them, because they are much more on bricklink and nobody has more than a couple of them. The ability to see this in person makes a huge difference because assuming his original parts are there, this is a great deal and you can turn it around for about $1500 right away. I hope I don't sound too preachy, but it's a bunch of money and I don't want to see anybody lose their butt on here.

You are not being too preachy at all. As far as I am concerned you have gone above and beyond in answering the exact questions I had. I feel safe getting to see it in person as long as I know what should be there.

It is a complete 10179 with the original manual, all minifigs but does not have the box. Asking $800. What do you guys think?

If I get this, are there any pieces that are unique to this set that I should make sure are accounted for?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If it's on CL and legit then it's already gone while you were thinking about it. If this was in my town I would have seen it the day of after speaking to the person and feeling out the situation.

If it's on CL and legit then it's already gone while you were thinking about it. If this was in my town I would have seen it the day of after speaking to the person and feeling out the situation.

Nope, not gone. Holding it until I see it tomorrow. I was the 1st to call and he is holding it until we can meet tomorrow. Call me crazy but I bet he keeps his word and I get 1st chance at it.

• 4 weeks later...

Got really excited for a second when I saw this ad on Craigslist this morning. http://orlando.craigslist.org/clt/3716004257.html Unfortunately once I saw the price he asked and the pictures you can easily find on Google I lost all hope of getting the 10179 at a decent price (meaning lower than eBay, but no scam priced like this one)

Its PayPal......go for it!! At least email him and ask some

?s

I did, it's hard to understand what he means since he does not write clearly at all. He says they are sealed and all that but wants my email to send me an invoice.

Also, now that I see the email again he attached those same pictures posted on the ad. Those photos are from Google images.