$13,000 worth of Lego...ok which one of you is this?

JoshTX

I wish he'd decide to move some of the more popular sets separately. I'm in his area and I've asked him about it, but he is firm on selling the whole lot. I just don't think I want to buy some of the less viable sets he has. But I'd take all his UCS and modulars if he was willing to bargain a bit considering the bulk of the sale. Basically he needs money and he has sets I don't have yet, so it'd be win-win. I understand the allure of the bigger sets will encourage buyers to pay for the duds to get the whole shebang, but the effect is that the duds are artificially inflating the price of the collection with little or no ROI for the buyer. Selling the sets people want would help him move product faster and put money in his pocket to help deal with whatever emergency prompted him to sell so soon. Either way, I wish the guy luck, and he's probably right, eventually someone will come along witn an offer for the whole collection.

I wish he'd decide to move some of the more popular sets separately. I'm in his area and I've asked him about it, but he is firm on selling the whole lot. I just don't think I want to buy some of the less viable sets he has. But I'd take all his UCS and modulars if he was willing to bargain a bit considering the bulk of the sale. Basically he needs money and he has sets I don't have yet, so it'd be win-win. I understand the allure of the bigger sets will encourage buyers to pay for the duds to get the whole shebang, but the effect is that the duds are artificially inflating the price of the collection with little or no ROI for the buyer. Selling the sets people want would help him move product faster and put money in his pocket to help deal with whatever emergency prompted him to sell so soon. Either way, I wish the guy luck, and he's probably right, eventually someone will come along witn an offer for the whole collection.

Thing is you're saying only an investor might pick it up...

I think some LEGO fan for MOCing might easily pick that up if he had the cash... and such person could care less for ROI but rather price per piece.

Thing is you're saying only an investor might pick it up...

I think some LEGO fan for MOCing might easily pick that up if he had the cash... and such person could care less for ROI but rather price per piece.

Maybe...but what kind of MOC'er or fan has that kind of cash lying around to blow on something of this proportion? I would think an investor would have to buy it in order to recoup at least a portion of the expenditure. I personally have never met a fan or builder that had that kind of expendable cash, and considering there are probably very few out there, this collection would take a really long time for a person like that to come along.

Maybe...but what kind of MOC'er or fan has that kind of cash lying around to blow on something of this proportion? I would think an investor would have to buy it in order to recoup at least a portion of the expenditure. I personally have never met a fan or builder that had that kind of expendable cash, and considering there are probably very few out there, this collection would take a really long time for a person like that to come along.

If you believe some of the guys around here, about half of us spend $13k on Lego every month. Riiiiight.

Regarding a buyer, you and Alcarin are probably both right. It might have to be someone who wants some of the lot for Moc material, and the rest of the lot for resell to recoup some of the Moc costs. A hybrid Lego hobbyist, if you will. Pretty rare, maybe, i don't know.

Well if people can build stuff like this:

http://geekologie.com/2013/05/insane-insane-insane-lord-of-the-rings-b.php

I dont see why someone on Earth would not have 13 grand to spend.... if some people have millions and billions.

You are probably right, just i think its entirely possible that someone might buy it...

afterall even if collector buys it and then separately sells all UCS and modular stuff there and keep the rest for parts he would get quite a bit of cash back.

Well if people can build stuff like this:

http://geekologie.com/2013/05/insane-insane-insane-lord-of-the-rings-b.php

I dont see why someone on Earth would not have 13 grand to spend.... if some people have millions and billions.

You are probably right, just i think its entirely possible that someone might buy it...

afterall even if collector buys it and then separately sells all UCS and modular stuff there and keep the rest for parts he would get quite a bit of cash back.

Yeah, I agree with you that MOC builders are out there that would spend that kind of cash, I just predict it could take a long time for the right one to come along, and that doesn't bode well for this seller considering he seems to be needing to sell these sets urgently based upon his not waiting for most of this stuff to appreciate properly.

But your second point and what Diabolos said make sense - They could buy, sell off half or whatever to pay for their MOC materials.

Well, another hurdle is that most moccers are usually concentrating on one theme at a time, so they'll want all white pieces for their Rivendell or all black pieces for their evil castles. I doubt many moccers are looking for so many random sealed sets from so many different themes. Most of them probably bricklink or Pick a Brick parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Or he's in the process of moving from Austin to Chicago anyway (or knows someone who is...)

Bottom line, he's going to have to do better than 60-ish cents on the dollar to attract the reseller he needs to buy these in bulk. My last big purchase (about $5000 in books in March) was .20 cents on the dollar, and it will take me a couple more months this year to make my investment back, with the real profit coming starting in October/November and continuing on into next year. 

Granted, most books are slower sellers than Legos are proving to be for us, but still. This would not qualify as a good buy in my pennypinching corner of the world.

Another reason why you don't Invest what you can't afford to lose.

I can agree with this half but not the other. There just needs to be some good forethought to diversification, especially now with Lego being more forcefully restrictive on how many you can purchase of a certain set.
  • Like 1