Future of the Pirates of the Caribbean Lego theme

spener90

Well it looks like Disney is ending their relationship with Jerry Bruckheimer after this 5th film is done, so I'm guessing this is the last POTC for awhile and there surely won't be another LR. Not sure Lego would want to reboot the sets again knowing they are going to change focus at Disney.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE98J03M20130920?irpc=932

They're still releasing the movie, they're just ditching Bruckheimer after because they have other ways (Marvel, Pixar, etc.) of making much more money. The guy has been a failure for awhile now...

POTC has been a big part of Disney since the late 60's, so it's not like the franchise is going to die. I think LEGO releases some sort of theme with the movie in 2016.

edit - Oh, and if Jerry wants to make more "mature" movies... how about not making us wait 3 decades for Bad Boys III.

• Like 1

They're still releasing the movie, they're just ditching Bruckheimer after because they have other ways (Marvel, Pixar, etc.) of making much more money. The guy has been a failure for awhile now...

POTC has been a big part of Disney since the late 60's, so it's not like the franchise is going to die. I think LEGO releases some sort of theme with the movie in 2016.

edit - Oh, and if Jerry wants to make more "mature" movies... how about not making us wait 3 decades for Bad Boys III.

Yeah they'll always own the franchise but what I'm getting at is that unless this 5th film does astronomical numbers, it seems like they will probably give the franchise a rest for awhile. 5 films in this time span is bordering overkill as it is, and with Bruckheimer out they'd be starting from scratch....will Johnny Depp really want to do another film? He's the face of POTC at this point but it's getting stale. I see Disney letting this rest for 10-15 years if the 5th film doesn't succeed.

Yeah they'll always own the franchise but what I'm getting at is that unless this 5th film does astronomical numbers, it seems like they will probably give the franchise a rest for awhile. 5 films in this time span is bordering overkill as it is, and with Bruckheimer out they'd be starting from scratch....will Johnny Depp really want to do another film? He's the face of POTC at this point but it's getting stale. I see Disney letting this rest for 10-15 years if the 5th film doesn't succeed.

For the sake of a LEGO investing site, doesn't that mean they would be MORE inclined to make a run of POTC themed sets one last time? If Disney is going to put the movies on the shelf for the foreseeable future, I'd think they would want one last money grab with the Depp-led franchise rights.

If LEGO wants to purchase the rights to POTC for the last movie is another question all together. All these topics end up leading to is that NONE of us know anything about what these high level companies are going to do.

• 9 months later...

A question a bit related:

I found two POTC sets (4181 and 4192) for quite cheap. Are they on the rise now? Is it wise to buy them for quick profits? Or should I stay away?

Anything less than $150 for either ship is excellent if MISB and would be my target. Ample profit to still make after fees. Finding either for $150 might be hard. $200 seems more likely.

I do think you need to mention your buy-in price for a worthwhile answer.

Anything less than $150 for either ship is excellent if MISB and would be my target. Ample profit to still make after fees. Finding either for $150 might be hard. $200 seems more likely.

I do think you need to mention your buy-in price for a worthwhile answer.

These sets are not ships (Isla de la muerta and Fountain of youth).

It's hard to tell. Because of the incoming Pirate theme in 2015, it might rise the interest of buyers. Or maybe not. It really depends on how much the discount is. For sure if it's less that 30%, I would pass.

These sets are not ships (Isla de la muerta and Fountain of youth).

It's hard to tell. Because of the incoming Pirate theme in 2015, it might rise the interest of buyers. Or maybe not. It really depends on how much the discount is. For sure if it's less that 30%, I would pass.

yeah, i realized after my post  :cry:

at this point, i thought nearly every brickprickers gave up on all none ship sets from the POTC theme unless flipping after a 75% discount buy-in price.

personally, i like the isla de la muerta set since it's best on a scene from the 1st film (too bad it's overly small though).  it's a fun little set though.

getting back to the original poster's question, the non-ship MISB sets in this theme should most likely lose interest since cheaper and newer sets will be available.  used set demand should do about the same (or may even increase) since some kids and AFOLs buying the new pirates might want to include some POTC ships especially with a new movie coming out.

Most of you might not no this but Mega Bloks came out with the POTC ships in 2006, and Back them they were very poor seller, Toys R Us had to lower the price to $40 each on the big ships and sometimes they had the buy 2 get one free, which thats when I loaded up on them and then the price started climbing fast. as even now they sell for $200 or so. As for the Lego Black Pearl and Queens Revenge I kept telling people to load up on them, but most didn't. And $60 at Costco for the Pearl was more than a steal, and instead of just having 60 I should gotten 100 or more for $60 a dumb move. so I did wind up having 60 Pearls and 60 Queen Revenge. So If Lego does the Sets again in 2016 I will Load up on the ships again. Ed

• Like 2

Most of you might not no this but Mega Bloks came out with the POTC ships in 2006, and Back them they were very poor seller, Toys R Us had to lower the price to $40 each on the big ships and sometimes they had the buy 2 get one free, which thats when I loaded up on them and then the price started climbing fast. as even now they sell for $200 or so. As for the Lego Black Pearl and Queens Revenge I kept telling people to load up on them, but most didn't. And $60 at Costco for the Pearl was more than a steal, and instead of just having 60 I should gotten 100 or more for $60 a dumb move. so I did wind up having 60 Pearls and 60 Queen Revenge. So If Lego does the Sets again in 2016 I will Load up on the ships again. Ed

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound. :lol:

I have two biggies on my "regret" list from my dark ages - the Grand Carousel (because I saw it on display at Legoland California many many times, when my daughter was young, and we were going often), and then the pallets and pallets of Black Pearls I saw at Costco.

I can still remember turning to my wife one day saying, "if only I collected Lego, I'd be all over this.  This is a really good price."  I can still see the stack of them in my mind.

I had just started this insane hobby of hoarding/selling plastic when POTC was being cleared out...ended up with 4-6 of either ship.

Had I known Costco had pallets of them (30 min away) I would have been selling everything I owned to buy them.

Although, I will admit I had serious reservations because week after week I would see them on discount in various retail stores and I though to myself...how will this do well...no one wants it now.

Newbie anxiety, killed loads of free money.

Doh.

• Like 1

(...) I will admit I had serious reservations because week after week I would see them on discount in various retail stores and I though to myself...how will this do well...no one wants it now.

And sometimes it's not "no one wants it now" but "no one wants wants it here".

I bought two Queen's anne revenge 4195 with 40% off on february because "no one wants it now... in that shop".

And sometimes it's not "no one wants it now" but "no one wants wants it here".

I bought two Queen's anne revenge 4195 with 40% off on february because "no one wants it now... in that shop".

Now we hope the Lone Ranger train follows suit of 4195

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

• Like 1

Now we hope the Lone Ranger train follows suit of 4195

Well on it's way. Most paid under 70 and its selling around 110 on ebay. I really think this is the dark horse of the whole line. With Target still selling this on ebay for 114 I don't see it raising much this year, maybe a nice bump during holiday season. 2015 should be a good year for it.

Funny thing too, if you include DVD sales LR made a small profit. It only figures in cost to make the movie and box/office + dvd sales, excluding things like marketing costs, licensing revenue, etc.

I somehow do not imagine POTC coming back, especially if they trully reboot Pirates theme (unlicensed) next year..... or do you guys think only Ship will be released?

I think there will not only be ships to be released, it's an opportunity for lego to sell smaller sets around that theme. Just look at the older unlicenced theme:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Pirates

There's the pirate's hideout, soldier's fort... A big "treasure island full of traps" set wouldn't surprise me if it's annouced.

BTW I think there will be 2 ships: a pirate, and an imperial flagship, because the last IP has been released in 2010 and if the pirate reboot comes in 2015 or 2016 it will be an opportunity to had that kind of ship in the catalog.

I think there will not only be ships to be released, it's an opportunity for lego to sell smaller sets around that theme. Just look at the older unlicenced theme:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Pirates

There's the pirate's hideout, soldier's fort... A big "treasure island full of traps" set wouldn't surprise me if it's annouced.

BTW I think there will be 2 ships: a pirate, and an imperial flagship, because the last IP has been released in 2010 and if the pirate reboot comes in 2015 or 2016 it will be an opportunity to had that kind of ship in the catalog.

Yes but do you think LEGO will do Pirates next year and then simply cancel it again for POTC in 2016?

Yes but do you think LEGO will do Pirates next year and then simply cancel it again for POTC in 2016?

Why did lego made a contest to find the name of a future set (knowing a new Kraken POTC movie will be relased in 2015/16), if it's not to use it ("hey we have the POTC licence, so let's not use it !")

(The Brick Bounty)