8547 - Mindstorms NXT 2.0

pat_teeth_hurt

I have been following 8547 over the last few months.  It has been sold out at Lego LEGO Shop at Home for a few months now so I believe it is done but not officially retired as the new MindStorm is coming out soon and Lego is no longer producing the set (i assume).  You can't get it at Target, WalMart, TRU, or Amazon.  Trades on ebay have been occurring over the last few months for between $375 to $425.  $279.99 is the MRP.  Yesterday afternoon, I noticed at least 20+ available on Amazon for $279.99 free shipping.  By the time I placed my order, they were all sold out.

Would have been a decent profit immediately had I been able to get any.

Do you all think that when the new mindstorm is released, this will continue to appreciate or will it drop in value and if so how low?

• 2 years later...

This set has been performing so badly since I last posted 3 years ago close to retirement.  Today, it's been selling for less - 350ish.  Looking at recent ebay sales and current offers on ebay, it looks like it may start running up soon to 400+.  Anyone have any thoughts on this or do most not care?  I've given up on Mindstorm as an investment.

My thoughts is that software gets out dated fast.

People don't want to worry about compatibility. People don't want to use a CD or plug something in. Apple has proven that.

This series is primarily for educators. Unless they have a big budget, they're getting older and/or used models. If they have a big budget, they're buying in bulk directly from Lego or someone. There's just not much of a market for a mint condition, sealed, retired Mindstorm. It's not a collectors item. The only way you could a significant ROI is if there was a shortage, which would typically be in the first 6 months after The release. If there was a demand.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, donbee said:

My thoughts is that software gets out dated fast.

People don't want to worry about compatibility. People don't want to use a CD or plug something in. Apple has proven that.

This series is primarily for educators. Unless they have a big budget, they're getting older and/or used models. If they have a big budget, they're buying in bulk directly from Lego or someone. There's just not much of a market for a mint condition, sealed, retired Mindstorm. It's not a collectors item. The only way you could a significant ROI is if there was a shortage, which would typically be in the first 6 months after The release. If there was a demand.

Thanks - that seems to be a very good assessment and how it actually behaved.  I'm staying away from Mindstorms as an investment but will buy one for my collection.

• Like 2