What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

On 1/22/2019 at 12:19 PM, TabbyBoy said:

Similar here. I returned my 75951s as 3 of the boxes had a small tear where a previous label was removed and my heatgun wouldn't shift the RFID tags.

Rey/Kylo are turkeys and I've even passed at 75% off. Owen & Blue not too good either and have to be at least 60% off. The only BHz I have is 1 copy of the first wave of 12, the Harry Potter ones and Mickey/Minnie.

Looks like Kylo still available in UK, but sold out in October in USA.. worth getting for 40% off? 

• 2 weeks later...

Kohl's clearance section (from a week ago).  Left it all there except for the Ariel's Royal Celebration Boat 41153 (daughter's birthday).  Just checking online sales of hospitals and sandcrawlers I didn't see how I could make a profit with shipping and fees. (I'm not a Amazon seller).  Couldn't understand why the Friends sets were not flying off the shelf... what girl doesn't love go-karts and racing?! (I know, there are some girls out there that do).

The hospital set was cool... debated a long time on it, but finally left them there.  Someone finally bought them all a few days later.  

IMG_2988.JPG

Edited by superheat
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

A job lot of 21030 Capitols, 21031 Burj, 21019 ET... Even though they were all sealed, the pallet was allowed to get damp and at least half were unsellable. The book is a very important part of these sets and must be undamaged. Oh.. a bit of "squashage" on the bottom due to poor stacking. Shame as I'd have 2x flipped instantly.

Oh... this was at Chertsey auction, where I won the bid - subject to viewing!

Kohl's clearance section (from a week ago).  Left it all there except for the Ariel's Royal Celebration Boat 41153 (daughter's birthday).  Just checking online sales of hospitals and sandcrawlers I didn't see how I could make a profit with shipping and fees. (I'm not a Amazon seller).  Couldn't understand why the Friends sets were not flying off the shelf... what girl doesn't love go-karts and racing?! (I know, there are some girls out there that do).
The hospital set was cool... debated a long time on it, but finally left them there.  Someone finally bought them all a few days later.  
IMG_2988.thumb.JPG.a0643ff3d2708217dcd2a12f461af92f.JPG
I think you're doing this all wrong. These are not quick flips, but all these Friends and Hospital sets are going to be 1.5-2x RRP within a year of retiring, and buying in at 50%off or more is setting you up for good profit.

Alternatively, tell us where and someone will pull up with a truck in a matter of minutes.
  • Like 1

I think you're doing this all wrong. These are not quick flips, but all these Friends and Hospital sets are going to be 1.5-2x RRP within a year of retiring, and buying in at 50%off or more is setting you up for good profit.

Alternatively, tell us where and someone will pull up with a truck in a matter of minutes.

That was a heck of a find. Never thought Kohl’s would have stock like that.

7 hours ago, superheat said:

IMG_2988.JPG

13 minutes ago, Phil B said:

8 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

That was a heck of a find. Never thought Kohl’s would have stock like that.

Yep...those Hospitals will be an easy $150 six months after retirement, and will go higher the longer you wait. This picture makes me drool. All my Kohls had was a few Snoke Thone Rooms and Friends Garages, which I left behind as well.

• Like 1

All of you saying the hospitals are going to be 1.5x and 2x are you selling on amazon?

I’m limited to eBay and Bricklink.

Then I wondered if this was going to be another police headquarters or firestation, a new one every year.

I like smaller sets, easier to ship.

Rian Johnson ruined Stars Wars Lego for me.

All of you saying the hospitals are going to be 1.5x and 2x are you selling on amazon?

I’m limited to eBay and Bricklink.

Then I wondered if this was going to be another police headquarters or firestation, a new one every year.

I like smaller sets, easier to ship.

Rian Johnson ruined Stars Wars Lego for me.

No Amazon for me. I am gated. Only eBay, brick link, and local sales on craigslist and Facebook. Experience tells me hospitals will do very well. Especially at a 50% off buy in. Easy money. You just have to be patient. No pun intended.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I´m usually the last one to recommend City but provided this one doesn´t have the three-year-lifecycle then rehash that Police and Fire stations have, it should do OK.

Last Hospital before this one was 4429 Helicopter Rescue from 2012 (6 years ago). Before that it was 7892 Hospital from 2006 (another 6 years earlier). So this one will likely not see a successor until 2024.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Last Hospital before this one was 4429 Helicopter Rescue from 2012 (6 years ago). Before that it was 7892 Hospital from 2006 (another 6 years earlier). So this one will likely not see a successor until 2024.

4429 was so skimpy, nobody wanted to go big on it.  I don't think it sold very well. This one is a different story.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

4429 was so skimpy, nobody wanted to go big on it.  I don't think it sold very well. This one is a different story.

Absolutely agree. 4429 had a 1.5yr run as well, and 7892 had a <1yr run (according to BrickSet). My comment was more on the fact that this "theme" seems to be on a 6 year cycle, so when 60204 retires (likely Dec 2019/Jan 2020) it will have 4 years to appreciate before a new Hospital comes out.

That said, the Ambulance plane which retired last year is not doing as good as I expected. $35 on FBA (from a $20 RRP) - seems like lots of people have caught on to this "theme". So once 60204 goes, expect there to be 100-150 sellers trying to offload their sets. The patient will be rewarded, to borrow Terry's pun.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Voltron86 said:

4 boxes of 41775 Unikitty polybags @ 78% off, even at this discount I'm hesitant to buy as there such slow sellers 

I went in for 4 cases when they hit £1 at Tesco and wish I had bought more. Got 17 full sets out of those 240 and sold them all within 2-3 weeks for over double my buy-in after fees/shipping.

I was also a bit unsure hence the QFLL so left plenty on shelves. Hindsight is 20/20. Got a friend to pick me up another two cases from his local and I don't think those will last very long either.

Aren't these Tesco only? At least you won't have to peel the reduction stickers off as these have nice sealed inner bags so I sold all mine opened.

Edited by Rog

8 minutes ago, Rog said:

I went in for 4 cases when they hit £1 at Tesco and wish I had bought more. Got 17 full sets out of those 240 and sold them all within 2-3 weeks for over double my buy-in after fees/shipping.

I was also a bit unsure so left plenty on shelves. Hindsight is 20/20. Got a friend to pick me up another two cases from his local and I don't think those will last very long either.

I used to like opening / sorting out minfigs, now I cant be bothered and rather spend time on other things, I know it doesn't take long, but rather just buy a boxed set and list it

• Like 1