What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, mayor said:

The investment days on Lego is over. I'm not buying anything. I do have a few sets I'm looking to trade for. I need 1or two more ($279 10th anniversary Town Square ? and the  Ninja one. 

I understand why you are saying this and times have definitely changed. The old gravy train has derailed as we know, but the money is now in retail arbitrage and not in the holding. You just have to act quicky when there's a "Dead Cert" to make money on like the UCS Millennium Falcon and The Saturn V Rocket. Just keep an eye out for sets that are >75% off (yes, they do exist) and go in as big as you can afford. However, even if you do buy small/medium sets at bargain prices, it's VERY had work to sell them individually. You need an outlet to sell in bulk for cash otherwise it's minumum wage at best.

I think that the new "quick flippers" will soon realise that there isn't easy money in LEGO anymore and just move on to something else.

I think @TabbyBoy touches on this point, as a big change is that timeliness is more of a consideration, including with the flipping / arbitrage. 

Sitting on a retired set and expecting it to go up forever is not realistic - if you're sitting on gold, just sell into hype and reap a comfortable profit rather than getting greedy. Keep that capital flowing with a positive margin and you're in a good spot. 

There are a ton of examples within the past few years for sets that rose modestly, then dropped off again. Parabolic was mentioned. If a set is high and there's a good margin, just take the money and run, even if you're not on the top of the curve. No way to know that. 

Things don't just accrue into skyhigh oblivion, especially when remakes, new huge lego sets, fakes, all provide ample competition with each other. There are more sets than ever to chose from, both new and old, and that's not changing. I don't think that's a sign of doom - making lego more available than ever is a good thing for its popularity, but devaluing brand via over-expansion is a concern too. Lego is a toy, and most lego is seen and bought as toys, which do not make good investments whatsoever. You probably shouldn't be hoarding friends, city, uniconic star wars sets, for RRP... some of the pics I've seen, those scare me. 

Not all lego goes up or sells. Some things are solely parting out packs for bricklink stores if you get it on sale. And that's only if you don't value your free time and enjoy scoops of pennies and nickles.

There are so many lego sets now, you really have to chose wisely, or for good sales. I buy basically nothing at RRP, and only buy a few times a year when the deals or pickin's feel right. Stack points, wait for deals and sales, whatever. 

Oops, don't mind me, just accidentally authoring misplaced speculation bubble posts ?

Edited by Muffin Cup
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When exactly do the "2018" sets drop?  Went to my local TRU last night and saw City sets 60179, 60180, 60182 and 60183 on the shelf.  Are they supposed to be December 1 releases or are they not due to release until after Christmas/2018?  And if they aren't supposed to be out until January 1, are these worth buying at full RRP + TRU markup to flip now/before Christmas?

Also of note, a full box of Disney minifigs appeared at my store, too.  The box was opened, but it must have been just yesterday because it was full.  Counted toward the current 2 for $5 promo on minifigs, was limit 8 per customer.  Oddly enough, noticed Disney minifigs popped up on the TRU website yesterday, too, but I can't tell if it's just because my store had them in stock again.

They should not really be released till January and often the shipping boxes have do not display stickers on them. Last year most stuff was already available in mid December - I suspect it was Lego trying to get more turnover at the end of the financial year.

If they are consenting to these mid November releases too, it´s probably for the same reason.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

(Specifically yesterday) I did not buy any 75158 Rebel Combat Frigates from TRU, even at £62. I was tempted, but they just do not seem to sell.

same here.  Number of sales on ebay persuaded me not to.

Also didnt get the 42043 £124, 42070 £149, 42054 £99.  Would have got an extra 20% off + minifigs pack + £10 gc + TRU lego trading cards with each purchase.
Didnt get 42070 due to reviews.
Didnt get the other two cos shop was shutting so couldnt go back in to buy more stuff.

6 hours ago, MoHu said:

same here.  Number of sales on ebay persuaded me not to.

Also didnt get the 42043 £124, 42070 £149, 42054 £99.  Would have got an extra 20% off + minifigs pack + £10 gc + TRU lego trading cards with each purchase.
Didnt get 42070 due to reviews.
Didnt get the other two cos shop was shutting so couldnt go back in to buy more stuff.

Better go back today then or you will have ample time to kick yourself. They are no-brainers at that price. Too soon for 42070.

Guest TabbyBoy

I didn't bother collecting my large TRU order as I decided to "think again" due to previous problems with them and, luckily, buyer's remorse kicked in before collection and payment. i very much doubt that I'll bother with them again as recent events were the last straw. NOT answering the phone is ALWAYS my main reason for shopping elsewhere.

Again, Amazon came to the rescue and all boxes arrived mint this morning.

41 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I fear I'm going to be using this to buy Ninjago city, I don't see when it will be cheaper than this.

51 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

I'm relaxed. I didn't really fancy anything. Happy to hold fire and wait.

I can exchange one 10GBP off code plus Gingerbread Minifig code from catalogue for O2 priority Snowglobe code.

with 20% cashback might do the job altogether combined.

besides Ninjago City is super-dope. even for full retail it's no brainer to me.

Edited by Shewie

4 minutes ago, Shewie said:

I can exchange one 10GBP off code plus Gingerbread Minifig code from catalogue for O2 priority Snowglobe code.

with 20% cashback might do the job altogether combined.

besides Ninjago City is super-dope. even for full retail it's no brainer to me.

I'm not sure that cashback will be awarded if any promo codes are used. It certainly doesn't look like I'm getting any for my WTS order, which I got a snowglobe with.

25 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I'm not sure that cashback will be awarded if any promo codes are used. It certainly doesn't look like I'm getting any for my WTS order, which I got a snowglobe with.

Sounds like something has gone wrong. Both of my orders have tracked at 20% inc WTS with o2 snow globe, and caterham with £15 VIP used and £5 paypal coupon.

I would chase it up with the cashback site.

2 minutes ago, John82 said:

Sounds like something has gone wrong. Both of my orders have tracked at 20% inc WTS with o2 snow globe, and caterham with £15 VIP used and £5 paypal coupon.

I would chase it up with the cashback site.

3 out of 5 Lego orders tracked, the other 2 came back as non payable. No other promos used. All the Toysrus ones tracked

Guest TabbyBoy

Returning the last 2x 70618 DB from Amazon that arrived an hour ago as badly creased boxes which will knock at least 25% off the value post EOL. Also returning 2x 42068 ARV from LEGO as their standards have really slipped recently. I'll use older pre-discount/offer receipts and I don't care if it's unethical as they need to get their acts together!

Xmas is NOT an excuse for shoddy service.

Asda and Tesco are still the best at storing, packing and shipping.

Guest TabbyBoy
57 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

It's annoying you can't stack codes. Have a free P&P code but want to use the o2 code.

i wonder if CS will let me do both...?

It depends if it you want them to look back at your buying history or not. I'd personally go for the O2 Snow Globe and pay P&P unless you can spend over £50. If the O2 code is for the Caveman instead, go for the free P&P ;-)