What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

18 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Didn't pick up 41615 Harry Potter & Hedwig at Target because everyone bought them out at $11.99 instead of waiting until the Brickheadz 30% off coupon hit Cartwheel, and buying them at $8.59. lol

but isn't that 1 each - i couldn't get it to work for more than ONE individual brickhead even if there were a bunch.  when harry potter brickheadz is going for $48.99, $11.99 won't seem such a bad deal.  in my dreamz.

Edited by cladner

but isn't that 1 each - i couldn't get it to work for more than ONE individual brickhead even if there were a bunch.  when harry potter brickheadz is going for $48.99, $11.99 won't seem such a bad deal.  in my dreamz.

I was able to apply it to 4 at a time. But I wasn’t trying to buy multiple of the same. I was more just complaining that I could get my one set.

In all seriousness, you’re right. I don’t doubt these ones going for north of $50. The $3 difference won’t mean anything later.
  • Like 1

UCS Falcon...I’d rather buy 12 City Hospitals, Holiday Trains, or Heartlake Hospitals at full pop than sink that money into these boat anchors. For personal use, it’s a great price. For reselling, it’s quite risky and asking a lot once it retires ( probably 8 years from now). Those who think lightening will strike twice with the Falcon are in for a disappointment. Investing dollars can be spent much better elsewhere IMO.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

UCS Falcon...I’d rather buy 12 City Hospitals, Holiday Trains, or Heartlake Hospitals at full pop than sink that money into these boat anchors. For personal use, it’s a great price. For reselling, it’s quite risky and asking a lot once it retires ( probably 8 years from now). Those who think lightening will strike twice with the Falcon are in for a disappointment. Investing dollars can be spent much better elsewhere IMO.

I'm more for 50x 41330 Stephanie's Soccer practice. Those $10-$15 Friends sets have been doing very well for me in the past. Most of them hit 2x-3x RRP within a year of retirement (on AMZ).

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 4

We all have our Christmas traditions, mine now includes going into Smyths a day or two before Christmas and seeing what's left on the shelves. 

All the big adult high end sets still seem to be on the shelves, but very few items left of the kids stuff and a few surprises. 

The city section was populated by mostly arctic sets, couple of mining sets, a few hospitals and the overly priced cargo train. Nothing else at all left.

Star Wars was plenty of X- Wings, a few Millennium Falcons and some Anakins Starfighter, again nothing else other than adult sets.

Other than that there was loads of Ninjago sets, a few friends hospitals, all the Jurassic World sets and loads of Hogwarts Great Hall and Whomping Willows, no Hogwarts Express though.

Was surprised to see so much Harry Potter and Jurassic World sets staying on the shelves and that so many city sets were gone.

We all have our Christmas traditions, mine now includes going into Smyths a day or two before Christmas and seeing what's left on the shelves. 
All the big adult high end sets still seem to be on the shelves, but very few items left of the kids stuff and a few surprises. 
The city section was populated by mostly arctic sets, couple of mining sets, a few hospitals and the overly priced cargo train. Nothing else at all left.
Star Wars was plenty of X- Wings, a few Millennium Falcons and some Anakins Starfighter, again nothing else other than adult sets.
Other than that there was loads of Ninjago sets, a few friends hospitals, all the Jurassic World sets and loads of Hogwarts Great Hall and Whomping Willows, no Hogwarts Express though.
Was surprised to see so much Harry Potter and Jurassic World sets staying on the shelves and that so many city sets were gone.

Friends Hospitals? You should have grabbed them.
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 12:32 PM, Phil B said:

I'm more for 50x 41330 Stephanie's Soccer practice. Those $10-$15 Friends sets have been doing very well for me in the past. Most of them hit 2x-3x RRP within a year of retirement (on AMZ).

A stocking full of coal hits 2-3x RRP on AMZ. It's people who can't sell there that need to be cautious

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did not buy 5x Overwatch Gibraltar sets from Argos.

They appeared on the website saying delivery in 2 days in early December where all the other OW sets said pre-order, so I went for the high-risk and ordered some figuring I could part them out and flip the figs before Christmas (Obviously this is hella dumb and leaves me open to return policy fraud - I will not be trying that again).

Obviously delivery day comes and they don't arrive. Speak to live chat, they assure me that the items have been picked and they will be delivered 2 days later. Obviously they don't arrive again, back on live chat, promised this time that they are definitely with Yodel and will be delivered on Saturday 15th. At this point it's getting too late to list them for Christmas without opening me up to return fraud, but one last chance.

Obviously, they don't turn up.

Now at some point during all this, the order on the website has somehow been changed to be for 9 items instead of 5, so I figure at this point I'll let them arrive on release day, and if they have sent me 5, I'll return them, and if they send me 9, I'll take it is recompense for their incompetence and straight up lies. Obviously only 5 show up, back on live chat, getting them collected tomorrow, and being sent a £20 voucher as an apology. I ask if that will take a month to show up, he doesn't see the funny side.

TL:DR, made £20 by letting buffoons at Argos hold £400 for a month. Probably not worth the angry live chats, but £20 is £20.

• Like 1

I tried to buy this, after contacting the guy he said that his son had posted it in the wrong area and he was actually in Toledo Ohio (I am in Virginia) I asked if he would be willing to ship if I sent money via PayPal. He said he would ship but the only way he can be paid is via Popmoney. I had never heard of Popmoney before so had to look it up, Popmoney does not offer any type of buyer protection. Sadly, no deal for me haha... 

If you are in Toledo area and want to buy these send me a message and I will give his number I was texting... would be interested to know if he seriously has these for sale or if it was just a scam. 

20190107_100959.jpg

15 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

I tried to buy this, after contacting the guy he said that his son had posted it in the wrong area and he was actually in Toledo Ohio (I am in Virginia) I asked if he would be willing to ship if I sent money via PayPal. He said he would ship but the only way he can be paid is via Popmoney. I had never heard of Popmoney before so had to look it up, Popmoney does not offer any type of buyer protection. Sadly, no deal for me haha... 

If you are in Toledo area and want to buy these send me a message and I will give his number I was texting... would be interested to know if he seriously has these for sale or if it was just a scam. 

20190107_100959.jpg

Pretty sure it's a scam.

Guest TabbyBoy
58 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

You probably dodged a bullet. However, prices of both appear to have dropped and the guy could be genuine and.... desperate? I remember getting way over £700 for my SSDs a while back and they've now settled around the £500 mark. Not too good after fees and P&P if bought at RRP. Another reason why I avoid Star Wars, the market is way oversaturated now.

3 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

20190107_100959.jpg

Scam.  It's always the same.  Post it in one area, and turns out they're in another area.  Oh, they will ship it.  If you string them along with a "no, I have family there that will pick up" they never will actually give you a place to me.  They're happy to take a deposit from you, of course.  smh

• Like 1

Left multiple copies of 70922 The Joker Manor for 30% off (£175, RRP £250)

Even though it's a great set, big batman sets just aren't good sellers in UK, even with a 1 year shelf life and retiring soon tag at SAH, I think this will take a long time for the stock shelf to clear from smyths 

20190107_100959.thumb.jpg.577d422652c728fc7f72f11779ad88f4.jpg

Tell them to post it on Offer Up and go through the sale through that method. If not, stay well away.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Guest TabbyBoy

I’d call their bluff and say that I have a friend who lives close by who can pick it up today and pay cash. I’ve done that a few times and the excuses for saying that it’s not possible are pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Left shedloads of the following sets at a local Asda:

- 75951 Grindelwald's Escape @50% off, think the fantastic beast sets will retire end of 2019 so still lots of time to pick them up

- 41602 Rey & 41603 kylo ren brickheadz @ 30% off, not feeling this 2 brickheadz

- 41614-1 Owen & Blue brickhead @ rrp, don't think this brickhead will go more than 2/2.5 rrp so not worth buying at rrp

Guest TabbyBoy
57 minutes ago, Voltron86 said:

Left shedloads of the following sets at a local Asda:

- 75951 Grindelwald's Escape @50% off, think the fantastic beast sets will retire end of 2019 so still lots of time to pick them up

- 41602 Rey & 41603 kylo ren brickheadz @ 30% off, not feeling this 2 brickheadz

- 41614-1 Owen & Blue brickhead @ rrp, don't think this brickhead will go more than 2/2.5 rrp so not worth buying at rrp

Similar here. I returned my 75951s as 3 of the boxes had a small tear where a previous label was removed and my heatgun wouldn't shift the RFID tags.

Rey/Kylo are turkeys and I've even passed at 75% off. Owen & Blue not too good either and have to be at least 60% off. The only BHz I have is 1 copy of the first wave of 12, the Harry Potter ones and Mickey/Minnie.

• 2 weeks later...