Target: Lone Ranger series retiring soon?....Seriously?

I went to 4 Target stores today and the first three Target stores I went to didn't have much Lego items on clearance, extremely disappionting.   The 4th Target store I went to had the Lone Ranger train marked down to $69.  I grabbed the remaining two boxes as investment.  They also had the Mines of Moria for $55.   I wonder why only the TLR train was marked down, the other LTR still being sold for full retail price.

Other than what I mentioned above, the other deals weren't that exciting at all.

I did the same sweep for Walmart stores, and found nothing at all.

All of my Targets haven't marked any TLR sets down. MOM was $55 and $67 at the Targets I visited tonight. If TLR sets were marked down I would have bought them. I think the theme is really great. I want at least 1 of everything. I just think it would be stupid for them to kill the theme before it has even had a chance to sell. 

All of my Targets haven't marked any TLR sets down. MOM was $55 and $67 at the Targets I visited tonight. If TLR sets were marked down I would have bought them. I think the theme is really great. I want at least 1 of everything. I just think it would be stupid for them to kill the theme before it has even had a chance to sell.

Despite the films lack of success, it is way too premature thinking the line will already be discontinued after barely a month or two. I, too, would like a complete collection of The Lone Ranger for myself. I'm absolutely starving for a western build!

Despite the films lack of success, it is way too premature thinking the line will already be discontinued after barely a month or two. I, too, would like a complete collection of The Lone Ranger for myself. I'm absolutely starving for a western build!

Man a western build would be really cool. A whole modular western town would be really cool.

Man a western build would be really cool. A whole modular western town would be really cool.

That's why I'm still irked about the modular western town on CUUSOO being rejected. It had so much potential! Unfortunately, I think we can blame the Lone Ranger film and sets for that which maybe makes it sound funny why I would be so eager to buy the whole theme (in due time with discounts).
  • Like 1

That's why I'm still irked about the modular western town on CUUSOO being rejected. It had so much potential! Unfortunately, I think we can blame the Lone Ranger film and sets for that which maybe makes it sound funny why I would be so eager to buy the whole theme (in due time with discounts).

DUUUUUDE. That Western down was sweet. Honestly, I keep every western figure or anything I could use in a western MOC for myself when I'm selling off bulk parts/figs from used lots I buy. I was thinking this theme better stay around long enough for another awesome fort as well! But then I realized I haven't seen the movie so I don't even know if there was a fort in the movie.

Shame to see it fail so hard and so fast but the Lego sets are good designs for the most part. If a good deal on the train is to be had it should do well at Christmas no problem. Don't see much value out of the minifigs with the Lone Ranger and Tonto in every single set plus no one will really care too much for them anyway with the movie bombing.

at the very least, the theme will be available in stores for a year,  i'm sure there is a 1-2 yr min license agreement w/ disney.  if history is followed, this theme is similar to prince of persia (about 1 yr of life but can still be found in some stores)

my opinion regardless how long it will be around, i bet kids aren't interested in the any of the sets especially since the movie (from what i read) isn't kid-friendly and american (let alone asian and european) children just aren't into "cowboys and indians" anymore.. 

just be sure to stock up on the train sets (investment-wise) when nicely discounted.  forget everything else.

I have seen Target put other things on clearance that they regularly carry. It may just be a way for a store to clear out some inventory that isn't moving very quickly. None of the LR sets are on clearance by me and most of the sets are either sold out or only have a few left.

I would pick up 1 or 2 of each LR set at the 30% off now.  If the sets go on with a deeper discount, load up on a couple more Trains and maybe cavalry builder sets.  If you look at the bricklink price guide for the Frontier Patrol 6706 from the old western sets they seem to be very sought after judging by the the amount of sets and individual figure sales.   

The movie was actually really good. The critics just destroyed it though. 

Well, really that up for you to decide. It was good enough for the producers to actually make it into a movie from the screen play, but wasn't good enough for a load of critics and reviewers. Also its box office performance isn't that great either. I'm not saying that it was a good movie or bad, but whether it was or wasn't is highly subjective to the viewer. There are always critics for movies, and there are [nearly] always supporters and fans.

I know how Citizen Kane was considered an absolute box office flop at the time yet became a cult classic many years later. Lone Ranger is nowhere near comparable; just making an odd observation of how certain critics can kill a film as well as revive it.

is there a "rosebud" in the Lone Ranger movie?

btw, i agree.  the critics killed Sharknado but i actually enjoyed it

Whether the movie tanks or not, I think you will end up kicking yourself if you don't have a few of these lying around in a year or two.   These  have sold very well around here, you don't find many in the stores.  I only saw 1 of 3 Targets that even had the Cavalry Builder, and it was still full price.  Stagecoaches and Trains were all at full price here as well.  I also assume that here in the Midwest we relate to the theme a bit better than the coasts probably do. 

Whether the movie tanks or not, I think you will end up kicking yourself if you don't have a few of these lying around in a year or two.   These  have sold very well around here, you don't find many in the stores.  I only saw 1 of 3 Targets that even had the Cavalry Builder, and it was still full price.  Stagecoaches and Trains were all at full price here as well.  I also assume that here in the Midwest we relate to the theme a bit better than the coasts probably do. 

I think so too. The reason the movie won't affect these as much is they are done really well. When you look at them they are appealing no matter if oyu have seen the movie or not. the movie being good would have helped, but I think they will still do ok.

Don't forget the most popular A Christmas Story! Citizen Kane is viewed by some as the best movie ever made.

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleZvTSDC6s

"Oooooooooohhhhhhhh Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddgggggeeeeeee!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMZDBEL8Tg :rofl:

Hmm do you think it is at full price because the sets were released just a little while ago? I'm surprised to be seeing discounts in the states. None here in Canada on LR sets.