Target: Lone Ranger series retiring soon?....Seriously?

Did U see LR train already out of stock @Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Lone-Ranger-Constitution-Train-Chase-Play-Set/22881103

and some other LR sets 14-17% off MSRP

I'm not sure how to take that tidbit myself. Neither one of my Walmarts have stocked up on any Lone Ranger sets at all ever. Not even a place on the shelves for them. Target for me has been the only retailer to buy them in store. Course my stores are wierd with their inventory and when they recieve them.

If those sets retire by X-mas I predict a bright future on them ;)

I would agree with this. I have been on record as not being a believer in this theme as it relates to the movie, but if it does indeed have less than a year run, then I think these sets will be very good investments several years from now from the western standpoint. once my area starts to clearance I will be a buyer.

I'm not sure how to take that tidbit myself. Neither one of my Walmarts have stocked up on any Lone Ranger sets at all ever. Not even a place on the shelves for them. Target for me has been the only retailer to buy them in store. Course my stores are wierd with their inventory and when they recieve them.

The Walmart nearest me has had them in-stock since the weekend they were released. Full shelves. I'm buying everything I can at 30% off and below.

You guys have to remember ( and if it were said earlier in the thread...my apologies) that while Box Office is an initial indicator....a lot of movies grow legs on DVD/Blu Ray release and sales and cable.  If the movie is visually entertaining (which it looks like ) and the toys are quality (which by most accounts the sets are top notch)......this could be one of those things that picks up a fanbase over time.  The DVD release will undoubtedly be in time for Christmas; usually you can get them at a nice price.....is it inconceivable to think that post Christmas (after more people have seen the movie) that sales won't improve?........

Whatever happens, I'm on the record saying the Train is the only LR set to hold on to. Everything else can be thrown in with Prince or Persia.

true......but I will bet on Stagecoach too....

lets see...may be not....compare with Kingdoms Kings Carriage set 7188....retired in 2011 and still selling on eBay at MSRP around 40.00

Hmm. Not so sure about that one. In 2-4 years, will many people be looking for a stagecoach? I'm betting no. They should be looking for the train through especially since it comes with track.

agreed, but what about the set with the teepee? won't people building a large western layout want several of these to set up a large indian camp? if these get clearanced as low as I think they will go in my area, I don't see a ton of risk in stocking up on these at this point. again though, the entry point must be low, otherwise I am not biting.

agreed, but what about the set with the teepee? won't people building a large western layout want several of these to set up a large indian camp? if these get clearanced as low as I think they will go in my area, I don't see a ton of risk in stocking up on these at this point. again though, the entry point must be low, otherwise I am not biting.

My son has the Teepee set. It is small but very, very nice. Honestly, I don't foresee many people building western dioramas / layouts and that is what concerns me about investing $ in the non-train sets. I loved the Lone Ranger growing up but one song keeps popping up in my mind...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPR108kwNo4

You really liked the tepee? Interesting. The train and stage coach were awesome builds...and we had a great time building both...and they look great. The tepee....well...didn't really finish building that. Boring and felt cheap. The could have made it out of cape cloth instead of vinyl.

The train and coach are winners at 65 and 24. The track and figure count save the train...and the coach and female figure save the stage set. I think the train will go to par plus shipping a year after retire..and the coach to 40 plus shipping. Get these at 25% off at least or don't bother....unless you are building.

I want one of each for displaybuild. 5 trains and 5 stages on the shelf for the future.

I love the stagecoach. I just bought one for myself at TRU (they price matched their online sale @$26), and it is awesome. Five figs, two horses, a beautiful coach, and a nifty safe with a silver bar -all around awesomeness.

TLC knew a kick-ass stagecoach would sell well. Why you ask? Because there isn't even a stagecoach scene in the movie! The Lone Ranger movie is merely TLC's avenue to get a stagecoach to their buying public. I know talking to LS employees is frowned upon, but store mgrs fom two diff stores around here have both said the stagecoach is the best seller of the LR theme, hands down.

I think that if LR EOLs at the end of the year, the stagecoach will be in high demand for Christmas 2014. I will be apportioning Sept budget for a few of these.

You really liked the tepee? Interesting. The train and stage coach were awesome builds...and we had a great time building both...and they look great. The tepee....well...didn't really finish building that. Boring and felt cheap. The could have made it out of cape cloth instead of vinyl.The train and coach are winners at 65 and 24. The track and figure count save the train...and the coach and female figure save the stage set. I think the train will go to par plus shipping a year after retire..and the coach to 40 plus shipping. Get these at 25% off at least or don't bother....unless you are building.I want one of each for displaybuild. 5 trains and 5 stages on the shelf for the future.

I'm hot and cold on the teepee. History says it will sell well, and I thought it was well done, my instincts are telling me to punt. I have been wrong before and missed out on a few gems, but I will not be going long on this unless I get them on good clearance.

I'd mentioned this in the Target Clearance thread, but last Thursday I went into my local Target and they had three Trains, many Calvary Builders, and many Comanche Camps at 30% off. I believe Colby City Shootout was still full price, but in stock. I picked up two of the trains, thought about the smaller sets, but didn't buy them.  A co-worker's asked me if I would pick up a LR train for him since his young son was really into trains but none were on sale near him.  So I when I went back the next day, all of the discounted Cavalry Builders and Comanche Camps were gone.  But the last train was still left.  Was someone building their own LR display at home and needed them?  Why wouldn't they get the last train too?  Did they not see it?  It was a real head scratcher for me.  I would've liked to know how all those small boxes left the shelves.  Darned if I know . . .

I've been on the fence about coming in on the stagecoach.  Regardless of whether or not the "Lone Ranger" licensing is successful, I'm willing to bet on it being Western themed AND a train.  But Western themed alone?  I'm not so sure.  But Quac's comment at post #62 makes me feel a little bit better about taking the plunge.

I'd mentioned this in the Target Clearance thread, but last Thursday I went into my local Target and they had three Trains, many Calvary Builders, and many Comanche Camps at 30% off. I believe Colby City Shootout was still full price, but in stock. I picked up two of the trains, thought about the smaller sets, but didn't buy them. A co-worker's asked me if I would pick up a LR train for him since his young son was really into trains but none were on sale near him. So I when I went back the next day, all of the discounted Cavalry Builders and Comanche Camps were gone. But the last train was still left. Was someone building their own LR display at home and needed them? Why wouldn't they get the last train too? Did they not see it? It was a real head scratcher for me. I would've liked to know how all those small boxes left the shelves. Darned if I know . . .

I've been on the fence about coming in on the stagecoach. Regardless of whether or not the "Lone Ranger" licensing is successful, I'm willing to bet on it being Western themed AND a train. But Western themed alone? I'm not so sure. But Quac's comment at post #62 makes me feel a little bit better about taking the plunge.

Ask yourself why you saw everything but the stagecoach at Target, and then go buy a couple to test the water if you still have doubts. TRU online has a decent price on it now - $26.99. Amazon has it for even better -$25 - and you may not have to pay sales tax or shipping.
  • Like 1

Ask yourself why you saw everything but the stagecoach at Target, and then go buy a couple to test the water if you still have doubts. TRU online has a decent price on it now - $26.99. Amazon has it for even better -$25 - and you may not have to pay sales tax or shipping.

That is a very valid point, and one that I hadn't considered.  Looks like it's time for me to take another lap to all of the local Targets again!

My thoughts on the whole theme:

Cavalry Builder - lose Lone Ranger and it actually works, soldiers are great though

Commanche Camp - would be so much better if it had two Natives instead of Lone Ranger and Tonto, build and Chief is good

Stagecoach Escape - great selection of minifigures at an equally good price

Colby City Showdown - a lot of bang for your buck, every Western needs a town and the obligatory showdown scene

Silver Mine Shootout - only other set with a Native, unique 'dirty' Lone Ranger and Tonto, interesting playset

Constitution Train Chase - classic train with a track to boot, can modify for Power Functions

Score: (1 - 10)

Cavalry Builder - 3

Commanche Camp - 4

Stagecoach Escape - 8

Colby City Showdown - 7

Silver Mine Shootout - 6

Constitution Train Chase - 10

I just talked myself into buying two. No joke. I love that $25, no sales tax, no shipping price from Amazon. If I could just figure out how to give myself a reputation point...

• Like 4

Twice now I have been in Target and the Stagecoach has been sold out while the other LR sets are still well stocked.  I agree with Quacs, the Stagecoach will be a solid performer at the very least.  It looks great and with the iconic status of the Stagecoach in the western genre it will have a timeless appeal even after the LR Movie has been forgotten.

• Like 1

I just talked myself into buying two. No joke. I love that $25, no sales tax, no shipping price from Amazon. If I could just figure out how to give myself a reputation point...

Furthering your point, search "Lego Lone Ranger" on the amazon main page.  Look at the results.  Currently there are 29 reviews for the stagecoach, compared to 15 reviews or less for all of the other Lone Ranger sets (including the train).  That's it.  Color me convinced!

I haven't seen a single LR (or new castle) set on clearance at the 7 targets I've visited multiple times in the last 2 weeks. I love the theme. I will be buying most anything I can find at 30% off.

Akohns, that $5 off from Amazon is a 17% discount. It's not 30%, but still a nice discount. No tax or shipping either.

Akohns, that $5 off from Amazon is a 17% discount. It's not 30%, but still a nice discount. No tax or shipping either.

For sure! But my wife probably won't agree to me buying any of these sets for myself with our current budget. I still have capitol to invest in stuff that will sell this Christmas or sooner but I'm not going to be spending much money on long term investments before Dec 25th. I've got a lot of stock locally (probably because they haven't been clearanced) including some Walmarts that are just now getting the LR on their shelves so I think I've got a good chance to find these on some good clearance between now and the end of the year.