What do your displays/collections look like?

hreed1985

Like this one:D

No seriously, I really like this thread. Very cool to look at everyone`s collections and storage tactics! 

That is a rad house !!! 

MinifigBloke- I'm glad you're in Australia, so I don't have to put my 3 Helms Deeps against your ten. You have an impressive collection. How will you ever find the time to build all those? I can help.

hehe, I am in for the long haul. I really like the LOTR and Hobbit sets and am a massive fan of the books then movies, so am happy to hold them for a while.

I will never build most of what I have, I plan to build one of each, but find myself buying a used set off ebay to build rather than building one of my MISB's.

That is a rad house !!! 

hehe, I am in for the long haul. I really like the LOTR and Hobbit sets and am a massive fan of the books then movies, so am happy to hold them for a while.

I will never build most of what I have, I plan to build one of each, but find myself buying a used set off ebay to build rather than building one of my MISB's.

I am finding the same thing. Opening a sealed box feels like a waste of money these days, so getting used ones look a lot more attractive than they ever did previously

Guest betsy805

I just took a few more to show how much of a shi*fight it is currently.

Must get to Ikea and Costco to buy more shelving units.

I plan to use Ikea Expedit 8 cubes to store LEGO below and display built LEGO on top, and use about 6 of them around the walls of the upstairs rumpus. It will become the LEGO sanctuary with the building table in the middle.

The LEGO rumpus

attachicon.gifphoto 1-1.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 2.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 3-1.JPG

The LEGO Room

attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 4-1.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 5.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 3.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 1.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 2-1.JPG

Both need some serious sorting !!

Holy crap!!  That's some serious LEGO!  I like the black shelving, looks great.  I don't have enough to have a storage area yet.  Unless you count the bins upon bins of used lego sitting in my garage, waiting to be sorted and sold ;)

Thanks stinger-311 and others,

You could say I have been on a spending spree since I came out of my dark ages at the end of 2011. It was the 7965, 10188 and 10221 that got me out.

I couldn't justify paying $699 for a 10188 or 10221, so looked to the US, and bought multiples with the aim of reselling the copies and the profit to pay for mine. I did that and just kept buying, not so much selling though.

I now justify it seriously as investment. I try to explain it to family, but they laugh and think I am wasting my money. Until I explain to them CAGR and how some sets have outperformed the share market, then they listen for about 5 minutes before laughing again..... Oh well.

I do have a few glass display cabinets, they are Ikea ones (detolf, tall skinny). They don't fit big models though. I have my 7965 MF wedged in on an angle with a plate holder supporting it. Also have a SC 10144 that fits perfectly in it. Have a 10225 R2 in there and Mindstorms NXT 2.0 and lots of little sets and geek toys. Have 3 of them in total.

I will try to grab a photo and post it on here, but they are mostly a mess still after the removal.

My missus and I have just broken up, but it wasn't the LEGO :) although she did worry how much I was spending on it, and still does.

I did convince her of the investment potential, but she just didn't want it to take over the house.

Not a problem now, as it is a man-house :)

Oh, and I am indoctrinating my 2.5yr old daughter very well. She has heaps of Duplo and always like to watch me play with daddy LEGO. Rock on.

Minifigbloke. 

I can relate. I never really stopped accumulating lego since I was little, but in 2011 I like to say i caught the lego STD bug, a itch you can never fully scratch :) 

I bought up big, especially since dollar was on par with US. I have not stopped since. I buy to collect for myself, to invest and to sell. My wife gets the value in investing, but like you no one else apart from fellow lego fans can understand the intrinsic value. In saying my wife gets my investing, my collecting is another issue, I have 4 rooms and counting with lego in, library, games room, garage and theatre. I have those exact same Ikea cabinets (glass ones yeah?). I have 2, kids have 1 each. 

Sorry to hear about breakup. Imagine giving a tour of your new place to a prospective new girlfriend, what are you going to say ?? :) My kids love my lego habit as they benefit too, my youngest (soon to be middle child) has over 50 sets herself and she is savvy as she asks for family discount when she buys from me, even after i sell at cost to her (she is 9). 

Do check out the australia thread down the bottom of forum page, I try to post in there to keep Aussie updated on sales and websites.

Minifigbloke. I'm guessing $13k in inventory. How or when do you plan to start selling?

I need to do a proper stocktake, as I lost count a long time ago, but conservatively it is $40k AUD plus, and that is what I have spent, generally buying at 30% discount or more, so the LEGO value would be greater than that.

Do check out the australia thread down the bottom of forum page, I try to post in there to keep Aussie updated on sales and websites.

I do check it out when I can, and will also try to update with good deals when I see them.

lol cool a forum full of lego competitors that will compete with me sometime down the road ..

I personally don't see this as a problem, it will ebb and flow from time to time, but I seriously doubt we would be a big problem for each other as a community.

Cheers

Do you folks have kids that know about your collection? My problem is my 5 year old son. We have closets and very small office/elf bedroom filled. We have to keep them hidden from him...or else we would make a nice display of our investment sets. We have talked about just displaying them..and letting our boy in on the secret. just today in fact....not sure if we should. If we do...ill get it on video to post here.

I cant believe how surprising and magical that would be to a 5 year old....that's we had almost as many lego sets hidden that are at the Lego store. Ok...maybe not the Lego store...but pretty sure we have our local target and walmart beat. Combined.

Do you folks have kids that know about your collection? My problem is my 5 year old son. We have closets and very small office/elf bedroom filled. We have to keep them hidden from him...or else we would make a nice display of our investment sets. We have talked about just displaying them..and letting our boy in on the secret. just today in fact....not sure if we should. If we do...ill get it on video to post here.

Man, once he gets a little bit older it will be even harder to keep it from him...You won't be able to leave him in the house alone without fear of him opening some of your sets lol

I cant believe how surprising and magical that would be to a 5 year old....that's we had almost as many lego sets hidden that are at the Lego store. Ok...maybe not the Lego store...but pretty sure we have our local target and walmart beat. Combined.

Yes. It took awhile for my son to accept that we weren't going to open most of the Lego he saw (my eldest daughter got past it quickly) Every now and then I will bust open a set with the kids and build, and they can have it in their room. My son still asks to open up the SpongeBob Lego though....