Stickers: to apply or not?

Grolim

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you apply stickers?

• Yes, always
    • Sometimes
    • No, never
    • I don't build sets

I tend to only apply them on sets I'm 100% certain I'm going to keep on display.  For other sets that I'm going to display for a bit and then pack away or that I have the thought that one day I may sell them as used sets, I don't apply the stickers as I know someone buying a used set will find a fresh sticker sheet much more appealing.

I always apply them to sets I build as I know I'll keep a set if I've built it. It's a little ridiculous the amount of stickers some sets have. Actually it's more ridiculous the amount of time I spend applying them. My wife knows I'm the only one that applies stickers as I'm a tad OCD when it comes to having them perfect.

I really dislike the way more and more sets have stickers above proper printed bricks.  I can see they have done it due to cost but I think it cheapens the build experience a little.  What's next, stickers for your minifigs?

Knock on wood.

It does seem there are a ton of stickers going around.

When I was a kid, I applied the stickers. But now....f**k stickers. The build should look the part without them. Plus they leave this funky residue effect after a long time. It isn't fun trying to clean those bricks. :getlost: I always end up using the parts in something else anyway, so trying to build a towncar with a spaceship decal would look wierd.

Have the quality of stickers improved over time? I see my older sets and see the stickers coming off, and now I look at the newer ones and it doesn't happen as much.  It is possibly that I just don't play with them anymore? It bothers me to look at the original Hogwarts Express and see the stickers falling off... So upsetting.

Yes when I absolutely have to.  For example, the "chess" table in 7965 would not look right without the sticker.

I'm really surprised to hear that they made that piece with a sticker now.  They already had the piece made, why make the new set have a sticker?

And to the question, I always apply them.  Most sets just don't look right without them.

I'm really surprised to hear that they made that piece with a sticker now.  They already had the piece made, why make the new set have a sticker?

And to the question, I always apply them.  Most sets just don't look right without them.

Yeah, all of the 2x2 flat round pieces on the top of the ship are now stickers too.  They use 2 kinds of round stickers though.  So maybe it is cheaper to produce 7 grey 2x2 round pieces + stickers than 3 of 2x2 round with blocky printing and 4 of 2x2 round with mechanical printing

Everyone knows that if lego did away with stickers and only used printed bricks that the price of Lego sets would go up right??????

Agree. The cost would definitely go up significantly. I also imagine they create stickers for pieces that they can't use printing. One that comes to mind is the haunted house window stickers?

I always put my stickers on for my collection pieces, if their meant to go on then they go on. I was going through some of my old sets and found that a lot of my sets from early 90's still have stickers applied and intact..this surprised me.

Everyone knows that if lego did away with stickers and only used printed bricks that the price of Lego sets would go up right??????

Yes, it one of the reasons they were financially going down.  Printed pieces and fancy see through boxes.  My point was that the printed piece already existed, there was no need for new artwork to produce the piece.

They don't seem to have any trouble printing hundreds of new minifigs every year...

Anyway I don't have a problem with stickers most of the time. But some of them are placed on highlights of models, e.***. the x-wing cockpit or the vw emblem on the camper. Those should def be printed. Plus, putting stickers like that on a $120 model is tacky.