Stickers: to apply or not?

Grolim

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you apply stickers?

• Yes, always
    • Sometimes
    • No, never
    • I don't build sets

They don't seem to have any trouble printing hundreds of new minifigs every year...

Anyway I don't have a problem with stickers most of the time. But some of them are placed on highlights of models, e.g. the x-wing cockpit or the vw emblem on the camper. Those should def be printed. Plus, putting stickers like that on a $120 model is tacky.

Agreed.........super tacky!!!!

If possible, I try to make copies of the stickers or buy dups. Then when I sell, I have unused stickers since from my experience, buyers Like putting on stickers.

Are the duplicate stickers decent quality? I've seen sheets for retired sets on ebay, and I was curious how well they were made. Also, do you find dupe stickers for current sets on ebay or bricklink? I might look into this further because I also like to sell on my used sets, helps make room for the new ones :)

Are the duplicate stickers decent quality? I've seen sheets for retired sets on ebay, and I was curious how well they were made. Also, do you find dupe stickers for current sets on ebay or bricklink? I might look into this further because I also like to sell on my used sets, helps make room for the new ones :)

Not really since they are printed on photo paper.

I use Bricklink for 95% of my all element / sticker / box / instruction purchases.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, Is it me or our lego shipping more and more stickers in sets. As a AFOL we always had printed bricks. Now its all stickers, even the new boats(which float), so stickers seem a naff idea. Plus 1-15 bubble, or fail. Why can't Lego hear fans. Stickers are a nightmare. I would love to hear your views on stickers, right or wrong. 

Stomping

I HATE stickers. They are so annoying. One of the best examples of a set that should have printed bricks is the 10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter. I have read in some set reviews that people did not like putting them on because it was really hard. I have also read in some posts that people just didn't put them on all together. I think Lego should put a little more effort in the experience of building the set. The printed bricks make it easier to find and easier to build.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have mixed feelings on stickers.  I prefer printed pieces, but I know realistically this is cost prohibitve.  However, I also believe that Lego should be designing the models so that they look great and are recognizeable without the stickers; applying the stickers should just be an extra.  Take the 75003 A-wing Starfighter, for example.  This model has a lot of stickers, but the ship still looks great without them.  Stickers will eventually show their age.  Either the part they're applied on will discolor over time, or the sticker will, sticker will chip/peel, etc.  I want to konw that the model will look good if down the road I need to peel the junky looking sticker off.

I don't understand why Lego makes stickers when the exact same printed part exists.  The wood planks 1x4 tiles are stickers in 79010 The Goblin King Battle, but the exact same part is printed in 9476 The Orc Forge.  Same thing with the latest Millennium Falcon, as mentioned above.

I think once a model reaches a certain price point, they should 100% have printed pieces.  I think it's silly that a set such as Orthanc, priced at $200 and exclusive, has a rather large sticker sheet to apply.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On kiddie sets I don't apply stickers. I usually resell them and with the sticker sheet and box I can get up to 2/3 of the original price paid.  That way I can get the next variation of the police station or fire station every other year without going broke :).    My own sets I'd apply stickers to display SW stuff but not Technic sets technics usually get torn down and rebuilt or modified few times in the course of their lives. 

Guest eightbrick

There are some models where the sticker is applied across two Lego pieces.   :hmm:

On another note, I use Super Glue on stickers that fall off of Lego pieces whose surface is not smooth...

Yeah, STAMPs are the worst (stickers across multiple parts). They're stuck together, one falls off, it loses its stick when it goes back on, complete nightmare. :frantics:

• 1 month later...
Guest davewager78

I really dislike the way more and more sets have stickers above proper printed bricks.  I can see they have done it due to cost but I think it cheapens the build experience a little.  What's next, stickers for your minifigs?

Didn't some minifigs used to have stickers for their front detail? I vaguely remember getting some 2nd hand Lego when i was a kid (1980s), which might have been 10 years old, and i think the firemen did have stick on stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually apply them, but I've started scanning the sheets in first so I have a copy later for water slide decals.  The water slide decals work better than the stickers on rough surfaces like roof tiles.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140124_085035.jpg

Decals are a great idea. Easier to apply too as you can move them around to get them right while they're still wet. And you can remove them if need be without any fuss.

I built the VW Camper recently, but couldn't bring myself to apply the stickers. I suppose in the back of my mind I know I might want to sell the set on again at some point.

• 1 month later...

I always apply stickers, but would totally be in favor of paying a bit more to be done with them (although I'm guessing AFOLs, let alone those who agree with this, are still the minority of all buyers).

Those 80s/early 90s space sets with the printed bricks... still so pristine!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker