Advanced building techniques & questions

efonsecab

Because my LDD is not working at the moment, I cannot show you exactally how this works, but I am seeing headlight bricks at the bottom.  The pinball machines will not stick to the ground because the studs are upside down.  The front is only one stud deep and the back is two.

Here is a pattern for the bottom (from front to back):

2X1 grill

2 headlight bricks next to each other

2X1 brick

2 more headlight bricks next to each other

2X2 plate

Put one stud on each of the front headlight bricks and put two studs on each of the back headlight bricks.

The rest should be easy to figure out.

Awesome, I think you're right ! And that explains why it seems there's a larger space between the studs.

untitl13.jpg

A less clownish version:

untitl14.jpg

It needs some stickers. :zorro:

• Like 1

Because my LDD is not working at the moment, I cannot show you exactally how this works, but I am seeing headlight bricks at the bottom.  The pinball machines will not stick to the ground because the studs are upside down.  The front is only one stud deep and the back is two.

Here is a pattern for the bottom (from front to back):

2X1 grill

2 headlight bricks next to each other

2X1 brick

2 more headlight bricks next to each other

2X2 plate

Put one stud on each of the front headlight bricks and put two studs on each of the back headlight bricks.

The rest should be easy to figure out.

Awesome, I think you're right ! And that explains why it seems there's a larger space between the studs.

Wow, that's fantastic teamwork guys! I can't believe I did not even think about using the headlight bricks for the bottom. I had an odd thought that maybe the original builder used some single circular studs upside down as legs....and then my brain just stopped there. :P Anyway, that would explain how the angle for the main cabinet, the tile effect for the playfield, and the area across the sides for stickers was achieved. All this definately helped expand my own creativity. Many thanks, biniou and Noodlenut.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

Here is a nice one on eurobricks & flickr I remember finding a while back.

8033898959_046eca4f4b_c.jpg

8033899996_237494c55f_c.jpg

I'm stuck.  I think I got most of it but that damn front door is stumping me so asking for help.  

http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/gallery/my

some colors may be off, grey and olive green look the same when I printed pics. All red pieces are interior that won't be visible, so any color should do 

I'm stuck. I think I got most of it but that damn front door is stumping me so asking for help.

http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/gallery/my

some colors may be off, grey and olive green look the same when I printed pics. All red pieces are interior that won't be visible, so any color should do

I moved the post here since it seems appropriate and help to keep the other topic from going too off-topic. Anyway, I can't find your LDD gallery as the link just gets redirected to the main page. Could you give the name used for the design or upload some images here?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

thanks for moving it here.  I was a little worried the link wouldn't work for everyone else.  If you search "lil hh" it should be the only one

thanks for moving it here.  I was a little worried the link wouldn't work for everyone else.  If you search "lil hh" it should be the only one

Ah, I've found it now. It does look spot-on but I'm with you on the doorway being a stumper.

d00762c2-7893-42cd-b7c5-b6f9c27aab46.jpg

Well, I can tell from the original that the door and doorway are built sideways with one of these 1x2 door rail pieces on both sides.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably sounds obvious, but downloading building instructions for sets and just browsing them is a great way to pick up ideas. I downloaded all the modular building instructions for ideas for my own MOC modular, and I was amazed at all the neat little building tricks and ideas I came across. Things I never would have thought of myself in a million years.

They can be a great insight into how the Lego designers go about building things.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone. I have never used "power functions" and I need some help.

May I use set 8293 ( which includes an M-motor and battery pack) with the Fairground mixer? It is a bit more expensive than the recommended power functions sets (88000 and 8883) together, but it comes with lights which I might use for a winter village, etc.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

this is as good as any thread i guess.  A coworker just asked if anyone has ever made a mindstorm robot arm that can build a lego design. his idea is to have the arm build another arm and then those two make four and so on. I've looked around and found nada. If anyone knows of anything like this or is super ambitious, please let me know. 

this is as good as any thread i guess.  A coworker just asked if anyone has ever made a mindstorm robot arm that can build a lego design. his idea is to have the arm build another arm and then those two make four and so on. I've looked around and found nada. If anyone knows of anything like this or is super ambitious, please let me know.

will that hand also need to know how to place orders on bricklink and unpack poly mailers?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

no it's going to stick with used bulk, assembling pics and posting on ebay  :) yes a kid would be easier to make but eventually they'll want to get paid 

• 3 months later...

I found this gallery with a whole bunch of minifigure guns made from basic parts in sets. Much as I like the customs by BrickArms, Brickforge, etcetera, I enjoy making my own designs from official parts and I find stuff like this inspiring so here you go. FIRE AWAY! :biggrin:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/sets/72157600275378854/

• Like 1

Here is a basic exoskeleton comprised of the new Mixel joints that is fairly flexible and easy to customize. First clip is version 1 while the second is a slight update to the design. I believe you can easily replicate this "ball joint action frame" just from watching these. Anyway, you can see quite a few different suits using this starting point on the dude's YouTube channel.

Guest eightbrick

A useful video summary of some of the stud reversal techniques out there. I found the technique for connecting 1xN bricks especially interesting... made with cut hoses and preserved purist tears. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Rsub1CsY0

Same thing for plates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4hgFuhHbI

A useful video summary of some of the stud reversal techniques out there. I found the technique for connecting 1xN bricks especially interesting... made with cut hoses and preserved purist tears. :)

Same thing for plates

I know the one using the short blue technic pins with a stud and out of playing around figured the 'one ring' connection but the rest of those I've never even considered such techniques. I do wonder how well the ways shown with plates have in terms of clutch power. They appear to work by themselves but could they still hold with the combined weight of pieces in a fuller build attached.