9471 - Uruk-Hai Army

I picked up the last 3. I had to go to another state to get them. The closest ones to me both said limited stock but when I called they were sold out. The one store that had them said available or something and when I called they said they had a few. I got the last 3 and I was surprised they were on clearance. I try not to tie up my money in smaller sets but I read last night the Forge is a Target only set with a bit of interest.

Yeah. I'm traveling to Michigan and I'm hoping to hit up a few stores that are still showing stock. I've got 5 total, 3 of which for $33. 

I did get 6 Uruk Hai Armys in excellent condition on clearance for $11 each at Kmart a few weeks ago. It was during their 50% off all clearance and they were on the regular shelf. I've checked 3 other Kmarts in my area and none of them had any more on clearance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

Yesterday I found 4 at Wallyworld at $21.  I'm not looking for long term investing, on these but rather a quick flip.  My question is how would you bundle them to get the highest return?  I'm not trying to get stuck with the set parts.  thanks for any suggestions or smart arse comments.

Personally, I just see Lord of the Rings to be like the Harry Potter line; once it is gone, everyone will be kicking themselves badly. It isn't exactly a them that will return again.

I agree with you. Virtually every Potter set, large or small, has seen a nice increase in value. LOTR, The Hobbit, and Potter have legions of fans that are devoted if not even obsessed with the respective story lines. This will help these series' continue to increase in value once they go end of life(of course Potter already has)

Yesterday I found 4 at Wallyworld at $21.  I'm not looking for long term investing, on these but rather a quick flip.  My question is how would you bundle them to get the highest return?  I'm not trying to get stuck with the set parts.  thanks for any suggestions or smart arse comments.

honestly I would prob break them up into the urak-hai and the rohan + wall, sell each for $20, so $40 total per set, that's $160

Exactly - I think the themes will be really close. I think the only one that may not be the same is Mines of Moria.

I see it as a slow burner. I don't think we will have another Cave troll (unless PJ throws them into the next Hobbit movies) or Boromir. But even HP had some much slower increases. It also had rereleases of sets over the years due to the constant churning out of movies. Indiana Jones and HP are good examples to compare this theme to. They may make another Indy film but HP is gone and LOTR won't have another that extends the theme past these Hobbit films. Once it is gone....

I'm buying as many of these as I can find while Wal-Marts are clearancing them at 21.00 each. The Uruk make it a perfect army builder set, castle pieces are always desirable in the aftermarket, and anyone who owns a HD is going to want one of these as well. Three distinct reasons for owning this is enough for me to see it as a great investment for that price.

• 4 months later...

I didn't have any of these and decided to get some since it just retired. Noticed it had alot more minifigures then I thought it did. I thought it had 4 but it actually has 6!

My feeling is that most of these get parted out for people building armies which could lead to a mint box increasing in value down the line.

I also feel this sets value will depend on how much people want Helm's Deep and if a Minas Tirith comes out (and how many Uruk Hai are in Minas).

Overall, I feel that people will want to make armies of the Orcs and Uruk. With Helm's Deep being already expensive at MSRP and the Orc Forge already past it's MSRP value, this will be the next set to go to for that end and likely the main set. So of course it shouldn't pass up Helm's Deep or the Forge. But when someone browses old sets to fulfill that army making, they might think those 2 sets are too expensive and thus buy this set possibly raising it values slowly.

• Like 1

I personally really like the set.  I can see this set going up in value since it is the best way to get a bunch of Uruk soldiers.  The question is, are people still building Uruk armies or has mass interest in LOTR dwindled?

To put it simply, yes. Die-Hard LOTR fans and collectors will likely continue to build armies and complete sets of minifigures/sets. I really don`t see any other way for the trend to go but up, especially now that availability it shifting only to the secondary market. Anyone who missed the boat on the sets will still be looking to get them. 

As far as Uruk-Hai goes, I see no reason why this sent can`t reach $70-$80, probably maxing out at that in the couple of years. It`s a great boaster pack and people with Helm`s Deep will probably want and add on set. People who were able to buy for cheap (under $20)  have scored immensely and those who have bought in around $30-$35 are, IMHO, looking at almost x2 their investment a couple Christmases from now. I`d be shocked if the sets` value went any other way 2 years from now. 

Now the question, is it better to sell individually, or with a Helm's Deep?

Originally thought it best to sell together but upon thinking further, I really feel it will depend on what the market for each set does. Only time will tell what the better option is. I bought all mine with the long term in mind, so no issues waiting to find out. 

Glorified battlepack. I hope you have more than a few. Probably going to top out around 75-80.

I managed to get 5 all for ~$33 CAN including tax. Not bad for up North here. Hoping for a double. 

Now the question, is it better to sell individually, or with a Helm's Deep?

My opinion is that you would get more exposure to your bidding if sold individually since I would assume more customers looking for the set would be willing to buy the set alone than bundled with a Helm's Deep.

For example, the customer may already have Helm's Deep and not want another one.

My opinion is that you would get more exposure to your bidding if sold individually since I would assume more customers looking for the set would be willing to buy the set alone than bundled with a Helm's Deep.

For example, the customer may already have Helm's Deep and not want another one.

Helm Deep is great standalone but it's awesome when added on with Urai Army. Sum of all part might yield more cash instead of bundling.

I recently found 5 sets of these at Walmart. However, 3 of them have have dented up boxes.So my question is should i buy these for $15 (price match from a kmart purchase) and then ask for a further discount because of the damaged boxes? If I do buy them how much could I ask for the sets even if the boxes are damaged?