Shout out! What state are you in?(Australia)

stinger-311

I'm from Melbourne and I my early 30s I've been collecting for 8 years but played with lego throughout my childhood, love this site and great to met other lego fans from Australia.

The trading post is worth to look at time to time I was very lucky a few months ago. A guy in his early 20s was selling all his lego (I guess he is in a dark age) anyway I picked up 10030 star destroyer complete mint condition box worn for $200 also bought all Star Wars technique sets $10 and about 10 mid size sets like imperial shuttle, first republic gunship all $20 each. He obviously had no idea what they were worth and said if I did not buy them he was going to give them to the Salvation Army. It may seem I ripped him off but I believe in karma as I went through a mini dark age last year and sold all my castle and pirate sets to a guy for super cheap as he bought the lot and i basically I lost about $1000 but still went ahead with the it cause it was easier to get it done over with there and then. I felt so terrible after that when I snapped out of that mini dark age, so I feel like karma has rewarded me with this Starwars lego bargain, I know I sound stupid but its all in the fun and adventures of lego collecting and investing :)

Also I've learnt even at garage sells you can pick up lego really cheap but this does not happen often.

Let's us know of any lego adventures you may had.

Hi Dinorider2600 I am early 30s. 

My best buy was a star wars collection from someone is Sydney paid 500 and got somewhere between 25 and 30 sets retail was over 2000. It cost him 150 just to post it all and only charged me 50. 

People over west do not use trading post, but I would recommend Gumtree, I have had a lot of bulk lots from there, which I then build and sell the complete sets off. Recently got 50 kgs of lego for 500. 4 months later and I am still going through it, but easily be able to sell sets for around four times the amount I paid and still have a tonne (almost literal :) ) left over for spare parts.

Gumtree is also a great way to sell as free to list and NO fees. I understand even though everyone is in AUS every state has there own best methods to sell.

Hi Stinger,

Do people actually buy the complete built sets often? Do you sell them built, or in pieces with the instructions?

I see these for sale all the time but I just can't see why I should buy them, half the thrill is putting them together. But maybe it is something I should look into further.

I have a heap of 'Racers' sets, and a heap of the 'Hockey' sets that came in a drink bottle as well as some boxed sets. I scored them with some other good sets, but for the life of me, I can't seem to get of these. Anyone got any ideas?

I can see that these sets are on quite a few 'wanted' lists on Bricklink but again it comes back to me setting up that store which is just overwhelming to me.

Wardy, you misunderstood. I sell completely built sets as in 100% complete, but ship in pieces I try for instructions, but if not provide a .pdf document for it. Great way to make money from bulk lots, as long as you get for right price and the sets in the bulk lot are worth it. 

I just got a tonne of racer sets, do nothing for me. DId not know of a wanted list on bricklink, wonder if you can sell to them outside of bricklink??

That's what I thought you meant, 100% complete, I just wondered if they were built or not because I nearly bought some off gumtree one day and the postage was going to be outrageous because the woman wouldn't break the set down as it was built. I told her I didn't want it built but she just wouldn't pull it apart to send to me.

So is there a big market for those?

On brinklink, if you type in the set number it comes up with how many are for sale and how many people want them. You can create your own wanted list through the inventory/catelogue. You get notified if someone lists one for sale.

It depends on the theme, the set, age, condition of the set, if complete with minifigs. It comes down to research as to if it is a set that is worth the time and effort. Sometimes selling the minifigs from the set are worth more than a complete set. 

Before I list a set, i check inventory that I have all pieces, then I build, then I photograph and then I take apart and then list. 

I'm also in my mid 30's 

i picked up Joust, Grand Prix Racer and Horizon at the Myer sale but now i'm wondering whether i should have went Jabba's Palace and Rancor instead of the the Joust and Grand Prix Racer - oh well we'll see how i go offloading it sometime in the future.

I also build, have a few sets from way back (Galaxy Explorer) and most recent purchase were the UCS Imperial Shuttle and X Wing.

thanks for the sites stinger, will keep an eye on them 

The buy 2 get 1 free was only available for 4 days and i believe it finished on Tuesday so i just got in on the last day.

Although I think they still have some good deals as part of the toy sale, i.e Jabba's Palace $150 (down from $200), City Police Station $99 (down from $150) (looks like a massive box for that price - I was really tempted). 

unfortunately that's it for me for a while - either until Christmas or unless I can offload the ones I just bought

Yeah oh well. I get better deals than those anyways. Buy 2 get 1 free is good, otherwise not worth the effort. Did you get notified via email being a myer 1 member, cause I am not 1 yet

no it was pure luck as i went in there to check if they still had any of the VW campervans, which of course they didn't 

Lol they sold out of the VW campers within the first 3 days of the sales, similar for the Grand Prix racer, I made TRU price match, rather than driving all round town.

Mahler24 you still count!! 

yeah i sort of expected that for the VW but they still have plenty of the GP racers, to the extent that I was hesitant to get it since it appeared it wasn't selling well .

All large Technic sets should be viewed as a long term investment. The secondary market prices for them are generally sublime. Just don't buy or sell them too early (looks in mirror :punish: )

Technic sets are just 'big boy' toys from day one. How could they not end up being good performers? It's Lego for mechanical engineers and enthusiasts.

Hi guys,

Also from Perth SOR (Baldivis) , in my early thirties. I collect and MOC LoTR and Castle mainly and dabble in a bit of selling around the end of the year usually.

Looking forward to the Creator Sydney Opera House.........

Hi slobey and itmadesimple. 

I think you mean X wing?? to my knowledge there is no W wing :) My X wing is arriving in Sept as I preorder that from site below and saved 25% off retail. I got 2 for that and will flip 2nd. 

If your chasing the opera house www.shopforme.com.au have it for pre order with 20% off retail price so its only 320. Not a bad price, considering the dollar I may even bite at that.