What recently retired set do you regret not purchasing any or a lot of?

When I came out of my Dark age, some Harry Potter was still on the shelves and the POTC ships were still on the shelves. But I wasn't thinking about investing then, and was more interested in SW and Castle-type themes. Wish I would have stocked up on at least a few QAR's and Pearls.

Although it's been more than a year, like others here I passed on Diagon Alleys and Hogwarts, Black Pearls and Queen Anne's all on 20-40% discount. At that point in time my new to LEGO naive self thought discounts = bad sets. Plus, I was only interested in Star Wars and nothing else. I don't have a single NIB one of any of those sets and it sucks to remember seeing them for so cheap and passing them by. 

Also, wish I got more Imperial Shuttles, Zombies, Medieval Markets, Landspeeders (when they were really cheap), Hillside House, Lighthouse, Cap Cycles, and anything Dino. 

1 thing I haven't seen anyone mention here yet are the Buildable Super Heroes Figures. I never liked them, and still don't, but Iron man is worth over $35 (was even more, closer to $45 when Iron Man 3 was out), and Cap is $25, Batman $20. I remember passing on these in almost every Wally's I went into because they were just sitting on the shelves with no movement, and at the time were next to worthless. Wish I stocked up on em at $5-7 a piece. In my opinion, when Avengers 2 comes out the Iron Man, Cap & Hulk Build-a-Figs are gonna go up even more.

The other big regret is the Sungnyemun Gate. It's one of the few Architectures sets I really ever liked, and I never got one because I figured, like most every other Architecture set, that it would just sit around for years. Now, I still really want one but can't get behind paying the inflated price of $60-70. Wish I had just bought 2, one to build and one to keep... would been the same price as buying just one now. :no: 

-PB

3222 - helicopter and limousine. walmart exclusive. $30 retail and small box. I only bought five when they were available. i did very well on them, but look at them now. should have cleaned out all of my walmarts.

zombies - I remember seeing these at target. i love the monster fighters line, but at the time i was focusing on the larger sets and figured i would have more time to get this one. next thing i knew they were gone.

harry potter - for some reason i didn't do much buying in 2012. i am not sure why. i guess i was just taking an unofficial break from buying and selling lego. i picked a bad time to take some time off. i have since been picking up some used lots and a few ebay items that i feel can still grow, but i made it very hard on myself to cash in on this easy money making theme by not buying them when they were available.

Guest eightbrick

Here's an interesting one that many of you probably haven't realized that you should be regretting (thought I'd do a little different one to keep the thread interesting):

brickpicker_set_4438-1_8.jpg

4438 Robber's Hideout (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=4438-1). It's riding a 71% CAGR (that said last month it suffered some losses but come Christmas it should be doing great again), with a new value of $68.73 USD (MSRP: $39.99). That would be the perfect set to pick up on one of those BOGO sales they do in the US. It had a pretty short and unannounced lifespan, and I think I remember seeing some around Christmas last year.

Here's an interesting one that many of you probably haven't realized that you should be regretting (thought I'd do a little different one to keep the thread interesting):

brickpicker_set_4438-1_8.jpg

4438 Robber's Hideout (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=4438-1). It's riding a 71% CAGR (that said last month it suffered some losses but come Christmas it should be doing great again), with a new value of $68.73 USD (MSRP: $39.99). That would be the perfect set to pick up on one of those BOGO sales they do in the US. It had a pretty short and unannounced lifespan, and I think I remember seeing some around Christmas last year.

I only have one, but I still plan on offloading it this Christmas.

I only have one, but I still plan on offloading it this Christmas.

Yeah, this set is great. I got two at 20% off a while back, but obviously wish I had gotten much more. Ah well, two is still better than none, and since it's so rare, and cool, I see it increasing in value still. For some reason reminds me of the Beagle Boy's hideout from DuckTales which is why I like it so much. I still really want to open and build, but the investor in me would never let that happen lol.

-PB

Yeah, this set is great. I got two at 20% off a while back, but obviously wish I had gotten much more. Ah well, two is still better than none, and since it's so rare, and cool, I see it increasing in value still. For some reason reminds me of the Beagle Boy's hideout from DuckTales which is why I like it so much. I still really want to open and build, but the investor in me would never let that happen lol.

-PB

Awesome Ducktales reference. I loved that show and have got all the DVDs for my boys now!

Guest TabbyBoy

I should have bought more Captain America's, oh well.

Can't you get them?  We are inundated with them in the UK and still widely available even at a discount.

There are a few sets that retired in Dec 2012 that make me wish I'd rediscovered Lego just one month sooner. 10231 shuttle, 10217 Diagon Alley, 10212 Imperial Shuttle, 4184 Black Pearl, etc. Some of those I've bought from ebay, but if I'd known about Lego, I would have invested heavily at retail on these.

I've said these two before and I'll say them again.

3222 - Helicopter and Limousine (Walmart exclusive)

3222_brickset.jpg

8403 - City House (Target exclusive)

img_84031.jpg

I liked these soon as I saw them but did the dumb thing of not buy them right then and there. Ah well, I picked up The Zombies soon as I was able so one out of three isn't....um....whatever. I really wish City was a little more residential instead of yet even more cops, crooks, and firefighters.