The Hobbit 2014

I agree that Helm's Deep isn't great on it's own.  But it did introduce mature building techniques compared to the usual bucket style castle we get.  If you want to see something interesting check out what this AFOL did:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89205

Lego could release something similar in the $200 price range.  But they won't without some mega-license involved.

Thanks for sharing. That combo looks great, never thought of joining the 2. 

That looks great.

And in answer to all the discussion about HD not being a good castle set. Who ever said it was a castle?

i think I called it a haphazard mess. Alcarin mentioned it. We were discussing the merits of the Smaug set.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I agree that Helm's Deep isn't great on it's own.  But it did introduce mature building techniques compared to the usual bucket style castle we get.  If you want to see something interesting check out what this AFOL did:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89205

Lego could release something similar in the $200 price range.  But they won't without some mega-license involved.

I only see the VC mixed with HD here but for someone who has never seen these sets, this mix may remind the Castlevania Castle. :)

To be fair,  'Helm's Deep' is not a castle, it's a fortress guarding a valley so it makes sense in this case that it's just a wall.  But it's a mighty fine wall, and I think it's one of the better "castle-like" structures that Lego has produced.  The curved walls are neat, and the inner keep area is pretty well done.  You don't often get much interior space in castle sets.  Unlike some lotr/hobbit sets, this one is instantly recognizable for what it is.  The only thing I didn't like is the dwarf launcher, but that was easily removed.

I like this set and sets like the vampyre castle because they break the mold of the traditional looking Lego castle.  I don't know if that will make the great investments, only time will tell, but as a Lego fan I like them.

To be fair,  'Helm's Deep' is not a castle, it's a fortress guarding a valley so it makes sense in this case that it's just a wall.  But it's a mighty fine wall, and I think it's one of the better "castle-like" structures that Lego has produced.  The curved walls are neat, and the inner keep area is pretty well done.  You don't often get much interior space in castle sets.  Unlike some lotr/hobbit sets, this one is instantly recognizable for what it is.  The only thing I didn't like is the dwarf launcher, but that was easily removed.

I like this set and sets like the vampyre castle because they break the mold of the traditional looking Lego castle.  I don't know if that will make the great investments, only time will tell, but as a Lego fan I like them.

Alcarin called it a castle.  I called it a haphazard mess that looks like an incomplete set that is overrated by investors.  He mentioned it when I didn't bring it up as one of the best LOTR/Hobbit sets.  I said it was a great set to part out for castle pieces, but as a display, it is subpar.  I am watching The Two Towers right now to confirm my belief that this is a weak replica of the real thing.   :search:

I like that instead of the standard style hinges, Smaug has the "Hero Factory" ball joints on his wings.  He also has a hinge at the "hand" on the wing, and it looks to me like the wings are made of some sort of fabric/cloth.  Can anyone who was at SDCC confirm/deny this?

Alcarin called it a castle.  I called it a haphazard mess that looks like an incomplete set that is overrated by investors.  He mentioned it when I didn't bring it up as one of the best LOTR/Hobbit sets.  I said it was a great set to part out for castle pieces, but as a display, it is subpar.  I am watching The Two Towers right now to confirm my belief that this is a weak replica of the real thing.   :search:

If Helm's Deep is a weak replica of LOTR location then everything is a weak replica of LOTR and Hobbit...... even Smaug.... just look the size of Smaug vs LEGO size.....

Not to mention that ents look like ANTS against Orthanc on screen and in LEGO they look like 20% size..... and so on and on.... 

And if we want to be precise, its a Keep.

Minas Tirith would also not be a Castle but a Citadel..... 

But they easily go into as subcategory of a castle, for majority of people, both have the throne room and walls + towers which are 3 essential things for every Castle (+ many more ofc)

If Helm's Deep is a weak replica of LOTR location then everything is a weak replica of LOTR and Hobbit...... even Smaug.... just look the size of Smaug vs LEGO size.....

Not to mention that ents look like ANTS against Orthanc on screen and in LEGO they look like 20% size..... and so on and on.... 

And if we want to be precise, its a Keep.

Minas Tirith would also not be a Castle but a Citadel..... 

But they easily go into as subcategory of a castle, for majority of people, both have the throne room and walls + towers which are 3 essential things for every Castle (+ many more ofc)

Minas Tirith is a city that contains a citadel, Helm's Deep is a valley that contains the fortress Hornburg.  But yes they are all very castley.

Sincerely,

Your friendly neighborhood Tolkien nerd

If I want a badass castle I will just buy 8-10 Battle of the Black Gate at discount, awesome EVIL fort can be built from those parts.

Also the exclusive figs (White Gandalf, Mouth, Gondor Aragorn) will sell well.

I actually thought about doing that but instead bought Orthanc.

LOL I did not even think about it. We had a LotR theme without the main antagonist. Like HP without Voldemort or SW without Vader. Ridiculous, and I was complaining about Denethor and Gondor soldiers...

To be fair, Sauron does not show up at all during the LotR trilogy outside of the flashback sequence at the beginning of the fellowship movie. 

To be fair, Sauron does not show up at all during the LotR trilogy outside of the flashback sequence at the beginning of the fellowship movie. 

It doesn't detract from his significance and that appearance is pretty iconic. If they could make the EE Mouth they could have done the flashback battle in a set. They had already made Second Age Elrond. Isildur, Elrond, Sauron and random elven soldier: pure win.

And anyway he deserves a good minifig. You can't make an Eye figure.

It doesn't detract from his significance and that appearance is pretty iconic. If they could make the EE Mouth they could have done the flashback battle in a set. They had already made Second Age Elrond. Isildur, Elrond, Sauron and random elven soldier: pure win.

Well technically the eye was made in Wizard battle. I'll be pissed if we never get a 2nd age Sauron and Morgul Lord with helmet

If we get another LotR wave I could see Sauron being a promo polybag.  It would even be possible to get him as a promo this year since he makes an appearance in The Hobbit.

If we get another LotR wave I could see Sauron being a promo polybag.  It would even be possible to get him as a promo this year since he makes an appearance in The Hobbit.

Pretty wishful thinking. I think it highly unlikely Lego would go to the trouble of spending a fortune and making a new headpiece for him just to release it in a polybag. 

Well technically the eye was made in Wizard battle. I'll be pissed if we never get a 2nd age Sauron and Morgul Lord with helmet

I already planned to sell my tower of orthanc with this little set, I think it will add some nice value due to that eye orb. ;)