The Hobbit 2014

The Brick Fan is reporting that EuroBricks has reported...Well, I guess that's how news spreads around the LEGO community. Anyhoo, NEW HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG SETS!

Excited for the Mirkwood Elf Army. I'll be grabbing a few to creat an army of my own. Also, we get Radagast, (possibly), which I am thoroughly excited for. I'll buy a set with a bunny-pulled-sleigh any day!

I think the only new image we have is that of the Lake Town Chase 79013 set, straight off Flickr from Tormentalous. Many thanks for spreading the news.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-09 at 5.42.27 PM.png

IMO, the box is a bit deceiving, since there is much less than is shown in the picture. The background is TOO deceiving to me, for what you actually get.

yeah lego has been getting pretty bad at that lately, i guess its one way to offset the small sets they are trying to pass off at obscenely high prices.

While I'll probably get Lake Town Chase (along with the rest of the new Hobbit sets), I'm disappointed with what you get for the money.  The buildings don't really look architecturally interesting, and they're not big enough.  I like the ship, and while I like the clever use of bricks to simulate the sails being rolled, I would have preferred a cloth sail.  Also, we get yet another Bilbo (I guess you can't really avoid this, he's the central character).  Does anyone know if Thorin is at least a new print?

I would be happier with the set if they had included a nice drawbridge connecting the two buildings, made the buildings a little bigger, and maybe added another laketown guard.

While I'll probably get Lake Town Chase (along with the rest of the new Hobbit sets), I'm disappointed with what you get for the money.  The buildings don't really look architecturally interesting, and they're not big enough.  I like the ship, and while I like the clever use of bricks to simulate the sails being rolled, I would have preferred a cloth sail.  Also, we get yet another Bilbo (I guess you can't really avoid this, he's the central character).  Does anyone know if Thorin is at least a new print?

I would be happier with the set if they had included a nice drawbridge connecting the two buildings, made the buildings a little bigger, and maybe added another laketown guard.

Thorin is same print.....

As for the rest, I dont like the looks of Laketown guards, I am not sure they were ever described in Hobbit book by Tolkien so I dont know where the hell they got their fugly helmets idea from but ye.... The whole set is a huge disappointment and if the rest of the line is simialr to this my wallet will take a big saving this winter...

Currently I only plan on buying  Mirkwood Elf Army and bricklinking Radagast (if he comes in Dol Guldur battle)

This set is unimpressive to me.  The only way I will buy it is once it is 30% off.  Even then I'm not sure.

It will prob end up like most of the LOTR sets lately that can be purchased on amazing for a fraction of the cost. I dont know why lego doesnt wise up and get the price right in the first place, their pricing and estimating department sucks.

It will prob end up like most of the LOTR sets lately that can be purchased on amazing for a fraction of the cost. I dont know why lego doesnt wise up and get the price right in the first place, their pricing and estimating department sucks.

They price it higher, so it can go on sale.  (At least that is the way they make it appear?)

I like the pieces in the set though.  May not be the best design, but it will help with some mocs.

It is rather funny about that because I did in fact ended up getting a complete collection of first wave The Hobbit sets thanks to the major discounts between Target and Walmart. Riddles for the Ring was the only set I had to pay retail for. (Pfft, big whoop.) Same thing with the BIG Lord of the Rings sets. Massive discount, instant purchase, collection complete! :D

I figure just about all of these next Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit sets are bound to get good discounts same as the first wave for either side between different retailers so I plan on holding off for a long time. Then I strike! :assassin:

It is rather funny about that because I did in fact ended up getting a complete collection of first wave The Hobbit sets thanks to the major discounts between Target and Walmart. Riddles for the Ring was the only set I had to pay retail for. (Pfft, big whoop.) Same thing with the BIG Lord of the Rings sets. Massive discount, instant purchase, collection complete! :D

I figure just about all of these next Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit sets are bound to get good discounts same as the first wave for either side between different retailers so I plan on holding off for a long time. Then I strike! :assassin:

exactly, just be patient and then strike! I wanted the pirate ship ambush really bad when it first came out, but ive held off and im looking at a deal on yoyo where i can get it shipped to my door for $70 total so more than a 30% discount if you take into account the taxes if i would have bought right away from lego, it pays to be patient :money:

Brick Fanatics released some more details on the sets.  Here's what they said:

79011 Dol Guldur Ambush: This set includes Beorn with an ax and two Gunbadad Orcs (with hair), one equipped with a shoulder armor. The set, a ruin in Dark Grey.

79012 Mirkwood Elf Army: The set includes Thranduil with armor, crown and identical to that of Aragorn sword, two elves (Dark Green with Brown armor) equipped with hoods, and an elf with hair (without hood so). Elves are printed with shields. A Warg in Dark Brown and 2 orcs (Dark Tan) are in this set.

79013 Lake Town Chase: : As we know already this will include Bilbo, Thorin, Bard, The Master of Lake Town and a Guardsman

79014 Dol Guldur Battle : The set includes Gandalf , Radagast (with hat and beard) The Necromancer (Black with a green skull) Azog in Tan identical to the exclusive minifig of San Diego Comic Con 2013 and 2 Gunbadad Orcs , different orcs we already know and equipped with white paint war. One of the orcs is not wearing a shoulder armor, the other. No hair on the orcs. The set, a ruin in Dark Grey with a statue of a woman.
No Bolg in this wave set.

So do these get you excited for the new wave and movie?

From what people that have seen pictures are saying, there are good and bad to these sets, but the overall is that this is a good wave.   The Elf Army set will fly off the shelves with the elves and Warg in dark brown.  It sounds like the Dol Guldur sets can go together a bit as well.   Not exactly like Helm's Deep and Uruk Hai Army, but it sounds like they are both ruins sets that go well together. 

I don't know the story like LotR, so I can't say I'm happy/sad about characters in and out of the sets since I don't really know who the named characters are.  I'm surprised we don't have a Smaug set, i guess he'll be in the final wave next year.(Yes, I think that will be the last one minus some big exclusive to send off the line)

Multiples of the elf army will surely be a must. Lake town is,ok, mainly I like the figs. The dol guldur sets could go either way. Sales will surely be driven by the figs, but I hope the sets themselves are really cool and not just some rubble. I'm still holding out hope for a surprise exclusive set. TLG' has done a great job keeping these sets a secret so there is no reason to believe they couldn't have something up their sleeve. A Smaug set would do extremely well and help to drive sells of not only this wave but also spark interest in LoTR. Plus it just feels like there is something missing in the wave list, no marque set like helms deep or Orthanc. Mel brooks said it best, "nice, not thrilling, but nice."

Remember that Azog minifigure that sold for $1k? Ouch. 

I cannot wait to see pictures of these sets though. 

I am a little saddened we didn't get Galadriel in the Dol Guldur set. I would have thought that was the most fitting entry though you never know what PJ has altered for this trilogy. 

Considering that dude paid 1k to make an engagement ring, he did it on the cheaper.  

Nice wave.  I'm a buyer.

q