The Hobbit 2014

I can't help but think is Lego finaly giving the finger to the "investor" or "reselling market" with their issuing of Azog at Comic-Con. I'm mean unless the packaging alone shows up on Ebay for $1000 I'd say they new all along that they would be watching for fun to see how crazy people got with it knowing that they were going to issue it all along.

I can't help but think is Lego finaly giving the finger to the "investor" or "reselling market" with their issuing of Azog at Comic-Con. I'm mean unless the packaging alone shows up on Ebay for $1000 I'd say they new all along that they would be watching for fun to see how crazy people got with it knowing that they were going to issue it all along.

That's one way to look at it, but the person who really got screwed is the collector/fan that "had" to pay several hundred dollars for the fig just to see LEGO releasing it on a set.

The investor/reseller already got rid of it (most, at least)

Wow. I don`t know what to say. They are...wow. Not very good  :ermm:

I don`t want to be negative or a pessimist, both are unproductive, but man. These are not what I was hoping for. Very plain looking sets in comparison to nearly everything else that has been released for Hobbit and LOTR. The color pallet looks very meh. Box art is nice, and the figures look quite good, but the sets themselves  are disappointing. 

The Lake Town Village looked great! I don`t know who designed these, but hopefully it wasn`t the same person/people, because that would just be a shame.  :laugh:

Those poor unfortunates who paid top dollar for the Comic-Con Azog figure.... :rofl:

I know. Forgive me but I seriously cannot stop laughing at the people who paid hundreds to a thousand or so dollars for that Azog given out at Comic-Con! I mean, look at Azog in that Dol Guldur Battle and then the Comic-Con blister pack. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever! Who was it that said the figure would be in a different shade anyway? As if that rumor ever made sense back then or now.

c-2013.jpg

Speaking of which, check out this whopper of an eBay listing for the 'was exclusive' San Diego Comic-Con 2013 Azog minifigure currently going for the grand price of $2,400 with twenty two offers already. So at this point what you are really paying for is the fancy plastic case. Bravo. :mosking:

bp_1382261357__screen_capture.jpg

LOL 22 offers .... Wish i could pick up Azog from DGB now and sell a few for 250$ each lol they'd go instantly :D

It looks like the whole wave 2 Hobbit is a big figure collection with lame set designs imo....

Atleast I hoped the tree would be more in line of an Actual tree to use on my landscape...

Best I can say is the selection of parts and characters is nice but actual set designs are rather mediocre. Even first wave for The Hobbit with its low points was better than this. Although Dol Guldur Battle is more interesting than Goblin King Battle all around which isn't saying much.

Here are some more pictures, including the backs of the boxes:

From the back of the box for Dol Guldur Battle and Dol Guldur Ambush, you can see a pic where those two are meant to be attached same as Uruk-hai Army and Helm's Deep. Still doesn't help to justify the designs. It's like sticking one pile of crap to another pile of crap. What do you get? A bigger pile of crap!

As usual I'll wait until these sets are discounted.

This is one release of sets I can 100% guarantee heavy discounts. If all of the first wave did then so will these offerings.

To me the biggest positive surprise are the orc Shoulders... love them and want as many as I can get for reasonable price that is... wonder for how much those will sell!

Agree with you there. :D As for going price I could speculate somewhere of $1.50 to $3.00 each perhaps. They appear to only be available in two sets thus far with one included each. (Closest item for comparison I could think of was the armor and shield with a handprint.)

Agree with you there. :D As for going price I could speculate somewhere of $1.50 to $3.00 each perhaps. They appear to only be available in two sets thus far with one included each. (Closest item for comparison I could think of was the armor and shield with a handprint.)

Isnt there 1 shoulderpad in each set?

Correct, I glanced over one. Well, if demand is high for that part, it may not make much difference on secondary market prices anyway.

Yeh Exactly.... Currently I am deciding if i should buy 2x Mirkwood Elf Army + Bricklink/Ebay Radagast (and sell all except Generic Elves and Shoulderpads) or if I should just buy 3x Dol Guldur Ambush (try and sell Beorn) and Bricklink Radagast and 2-4 Hooded Elves from Mirkwood Elf Army....

Cannot decide lol

Not sure what will be more popular/easier to sell  :P

Yeh Exactly.... Currently I am deciding if i should buy 2x Mirkwood Elf Army + Bricklink/Ebay Radagast (and sell all except Generic Elves and Shoulderpads) or if I should just buy 3x Dol Guldur Ambush (try and sell Beorn) and Bricklink Radagast and 2-4 Hooded Elves from Mirkwood Elf Army....

Cannot decide lol

Not sure what will be more popular/easier to sell  :P

I can see your dilema. I believe it would just be less hassle to buy the Dol Guldur Ambush sets and then sell off all them Beorns. However on that note, I can see quite a few of him being listed for sale from people buying the set like any other army builder one so he may not go for much.

I can see your dilema. I believe it would just be less hassle to buy the Dol Guldur Ambush sets and then sell off all them Beorns. However on that note, I can see quite a few of him being listed for sale from people buying the set like any other army builder one so he may not go for much.

Yeh the positive part of buying DGA sets is you actually get all Orcs with hair!  (and the Dark Red leaf which I have 0 so far)

The downside is you get Beorn which has (my opinion) fugly hairpiece!  

The positive part of buying MEA is that you get Elves + shields  + Warg (which looks nice)

The downside is Thraundil and no hairpieces for Orcs and loads of pieces that I have little use for in my own LEGO collection except for Brown tree stuff.

i'll have to see and do some calculation for these 2 options....

It is a funky hairpiece isn't it? Ha ha. I thought so second I saw it. Glad I'm not the only one. The detail on his torso is cool though.

Its ugly really :P

I mean and you cant even use torso for generic stuff because of color! Cannot just switch head and hands to yellow and make some army for my fantasy medieval scenes :D

Its throughly useless overall ... sadly.

Yes, im aware that the sets have been known about for quite some time, but this is the first decent quality pictures ive seen not of just the front but the back as well!

I deemed it worth of a separate post! :thumbsup:

always better to be patient))

No kidding. I would sure be kicking myself if i had wasted that much money.

Someone on Brickset apparently has the set names for the Hobbit 2013 lineup. From a quote "reliable source", I'm putting the odds of this being correct at about 75% from my experiences.

79011 Dol Guldur Ambush 19.99

79012 Mirkwood Elf Army 29.99

79013 Lake Town Chase 49.99 (already known)

79014 Dol Guldur Battle 69.99

And here I was among others questioning the legitimacy of the set names. It was weird for two sets to share the same name (Dol Guldur). Well, confirmed. ^_^

And here I was among others questioning the legitimacy of the set names. It was weird for two sets to share the same name (Dol Guldur). Well, confirmed. ^_^

How about the word "castle", "police", or "fire"? I'm sure those are all way overused in LEGO...  :thumbsup: It is a bit odd for it to happen in a licensed theme, but then we take a look at SW, and half of the sets have "starfighter" or "tank" or something along those lines...