Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

An Indominus Rex breakout for £210 from a buyer with only 1 feedback and not in last 12 months.  So immediately looks suspect and gets my spidey sense tinkling.  Was just about to respond requesting confirmation and also proof of address etc and then I get note to say that the address in eBay is wrong and that he had moved and thus could I repost to a different address.  Responded immediately to say that I will be cancelling the order and refunding, since I would not be sending to an address other than that quoted by eBay. 

Annoying thing was that it was a BIN auction which qualified for a £1 FVF offer and there were another 5 people watching the auction, so probably would've sold sooner or later.

Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Cheese

Guest TabbyBoy
29 minutes ago, Cheese said:

An Indominus Rex breakout for £210 from a buyer with only 1 feedback and not in last 12 months.  So immediately looks suspect and gets my spidey sense tinkling.  Was just about to respond requesting confirmation and also proof of address etc and then I get note to say that the address in eBay is wrong and that he had moved and thus could I repost to a different address.  Responded immediately to say that I will be cancelling the order and refunding, since I would not be sending to an address other than that quoted by eBay. 

Annoying thing was that it was a BIN auction which qualified for a £1 FVF offer and there were another 5 people watching the auction, so probably would've sold sooner or later.

Better safe than sorry.

I wish I had a £1 FVF, business sellers don’t qualify and they’ve now added VAT too along with more hoops to jump through. I think gating will be next! No wonder business sellers are leaving eBay in droves (me included).

I’ve had items with over 50 watchers with no sale so you can assume that they’re mostly or all competitors.

If I ever resurrect my old private account, I’ll use auction (only with free listing and FVF offer) to weed out the BIN scammers and use 2nd chance offers to offload the rest if the sale price creates profit. I’m not greedy, if it makes a penny, it’s out the door!

I’ve made more profit in 2yrs selling on here, Farcebook and locally without fees than eBay in 5yrs. And... not one single scam!

34 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Better safe than sorry.

Check your ebay messages, I've had the £1 fvf offer again today until monday. So hopefully you won't lose out if you have had the promo too.

I only have 4 x Indominus Rex's left, thinking i may save these for a while now, and just sell the t-rex and raptors before they reappear next year.

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

Fruitcakes are definitely running rampant on Craigslist. This listing popped up for $2,040 the other day; I don't usually troll people, but I had to find out what was going on here. The sets I was seeing definitely didn't add up to over $2,000 worth of Lego.

Me, via email: Are there other sets not shown in the pictures? Just curious since you’re asking over $2k.

Them: Yes there is a modern house (it's actually a very dusty 31012 Creator Family House) which I am including in pictures with this email.. I am more than willing to break down these Legos into smaller sets and sell them as such. For example, somebody might be interested only in all of the Lego city vehicles and nothing else. We could work something out for specific sets. I was not expecting someone to purchase all of them per se but if someone is interested in purchasing all of the sets here, that would be great.. If you have any further questions please ask and keep in mind that you can get in contact with me much quicker by calling or texting my phone (redacted). Thank you.

Me: Thanks for the follow up. So just to confirm, the asking price is $2,040 for everything shown in the pictures, plus the house you sent me the picture of?

I'll let you guys know how this turns out. I'll stay nice, I promise.

I guess they are using Amazon FBA as a price guide.

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

That's what I'm dying to know. Back of the envelope, I'm guessing this is between $200-300 of used built Lego to somebody that really wants it, and probably not remotely worth the time to break down to inventory and resell. It is, overall, a really really boring lot.

Boring resolution. I'm so disappointed.

Them: No... the asking price for the house and everything else is $200. I originally put $40-$200 meaning that the price would vary depending on if you were buying a few vehicles for example or buying everything. $200 for the house, everything in the ad and the handful of instruction booklets.

14 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Boring resolution. I'm so disappointed.

Them: No... the asking price for the house and everything else is $200. I originally put $40-$200 meaning that the price would vary depending on if you were buying a few vehicles for example or buying everything. $200 for the house, everything in the ad and the handful of instruction booklets.

Just a zero! :) lol, oh well. faith restored

21 hours ago, Cheese said:

Better safe than sorry.

Also sold an Indominus Rex for £210, 7 feedback & non in last year.  Registered in France but shipping to malformed address in Leicester.  Spidey was speaking but eventually shipped as Paypal matched ebay & even though the address was malformed it was a correct valid address.  Squeaky bun time. Only ever sell using £1FVF now.  
Got nearly 300 £1FVF listed and another 300 coming this weekend if rumours on HUKD are true

1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

What rumour, haven't seen anything news worthy?

100 £1FVF per account....if you get the "invite".     I use the accounts of 3 different people. 

Says 07-Oct-2017 16:00:00 - 09-Oct-2017 15:59:59 but will actually be 00:00am 8th Oct - 23:59 9th Oct

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1-ebay-final-value-fees-fvf-on-up-to-100-items-7-9-october-selected-accounts-2807135

I've clicked the link & it says i get the offer but from experience it wont kick in until midnight tonight.  PS i never get the invite but always get the offer

Edited by MoHu

On 06/10/2017 at 3:52 PM, Cheese said:

Better safe than sorry.

My £210 Indom Rex was a hacked account.  oh well

• 2 weeks later...

Received my first negative feedback today... A buyer in Russia purchased dimensions discs from me and the only note in the feedback is that the photo is misleading.

I've been selling dimensions game discs for over a year now and had just 3-4 people that don't read the listing title or description and think they're getting complete sets. The item condition is set to New (other) with details stating that the discs are new and pulled from sealed sets. The price alone should alert them that they aren't complete, but the listing title and description are clear:

• Title - " LEGO Dimensions - Game Disc Tag Only - PowerPuff, Teen Titans, Goonies
  • First line of descrption - "These are brand new, unused game discs that were pulled directly from new packs. (No minifigures, Lego bricks, instructions or box)"

I guess I should post photos of each of the discs, but was hoping to avoid that. Some people...

A bit disappointed that that they didn't contact me first and it was only a $10 order (for unique game discs).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/r04AAOSwdGFYpwue/s-l500.png

Received my first negative feedback today... A buyer in Russia purchased dimensions discs from me and the only note in the feedback is that the photo is misleading.
I've been selling dimensions game discs for over a year now and had just 3-4 people that don't read the listing title or description and think they're getting complete sets. The item condition is set to New (other) with details stating that the discs are new and pulled from sealed sets. The price alone should alert them that they aren't complete, but the listing title and description are clear:
  • Title - " LEGO Dimensions - Game Disc Tag Only - PowerPuff, Teen Titans, Goonies
  • First line of descrption - "These are brand new, unused game discs that were pulled directly from new packs. (No minifigures, Lego bricks, instructions or box)"
I guess I should post photos of each of the discs, but was hoping to avoid that. Some people...
A bit disappointed that that they didn't contact me first and it was only a $10 order (for unique game discs).

Maybe translate it to Russian...

Maybe translate it to Russian...
I've sold the same, with pictures of the discs plus the instructions and a full description of exactly what they are getting and still had a couple of returns.

There are people out there who only look at the price and think they are exempt from the maxim 'you get what you pay for'.

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, SageFly said:

Russia is one of my excluded countries for this very reason. I've also added South Korea, Middle East, Africa and South America too. I'm not racist as I've dealt with these countries through work and there's been no end of complaints and problems. Have you offered him a refund for him to retract the -ve feedback? If not, open up a chat with eBay as this guy may have a habit of doing this.

26 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Russia is one of my excluded countries for this very reason. I've also added South Korea, Middle East, Africa and South America too. I'm not racist as I've dealt with these countries through work and there's been no end of complaints and problems. Have you offered him a refund for him to retract the -ve feedback? If not, open up a chat with eBay as this guy may have a habit of doing this.

Based on other BP'ers experiences through the years, I've been excluding Russia and South Korea for years now.

6 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Based on other BP'ers experiences through the years, I've been excluding Russia and South Korea for years now.

6 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

roflbot.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sold a bunch of Lesters and a Force Friday signed poster to someone who had bought from me via eBay before. The eBay sale went well, so sold direct to him for these other things. He waits 2 weeks then out of nowhere says "hi, whats the tracking number". I never used tracking because he seemed trust worthy. (Also I get no insurance value even if paid for it because a signed poster has no intrinsic value as far as Royal Mail terms and conditions go). So I replied to him but he didn't even respond, got nothing back just instant PayPal claim for £125.

So annoying. If he genuinely didn't receive it why didn't he ask "when did you post it? What service did you use? Did it get returned to you? Can you send me a replacement?". None of that. He just saw I had no tracking so couldnt defend a PayPal claim. 

Bow the usual PayPal nonsense, no way to speak anyone and I can't respond to the claim (I'm only gives 3 options: refund him, give a tracking number or prove I've refunded already). It's such a joke.

The irony is nowhere in his payment does he say what he bought it when it was sent. PayPal just allow a claim. 

Last time I ever sell to that country. 

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

Anyway I can warn others about this guy?

do keep a ban list? 

Sorry to hear that, but tracking is CRITICAL for ALL online sales whether you’ve dealt with them or not. I found out the hard with about a dozen £15-£30 sales and I got stung bad on a £250 sale to the same buyer. It was only a Red-5 so I soon got over it!

eBay/PayPal are unlikely to support untracked items.

11 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

Sold a bunch of Lesters and a Force Friday signed poster to someone who had bought from me via eBay before. The eBay sale went well, so sold direct to him for these other things. He waits 2 weeks then out of nowhere says "hi, whats the tracking number". I never used tracking because he seemed trust worthy. (Also I get no insurance value even if paid for it because a signed poster has no intrinsic value as far as Royal Mail terms and conditions go). So I replied to him but he didn't even respond, got nothing back just instant PayPal claim for £125.

So annoying. If he genuinely didn't receive it why didn't he ask "when did you post it? What service did you use? Did it get returned to you? Can you send me a replacement?". None of that. He just saw I had no tracking so couldnt defend a PayPal claim. 

Bow the usual PayPal nonsense, no way to speak anyone and I can't respond to the claim (I'm only gives 3 options: refund him, give a tracking number or prove I've refunded already). It's such a joke.

The irony is nowhere in his payment does he say what he bought it when it was sent. PayPal just allow a claim. 

Last time I ever sell to that country. 

Sorry to hear that but it´s a lesson learnt the hard way. Paypal = tracking and signed delivery unless the seller enjoys losing their money and ESPECIALLY IF the buyer is in another country. For small orders  it´s not worth it but anything sold for above 50 quid makes sense to have tracked for your own peace of mind.

55 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

I know, it's a harsh lesson well learned.

just annoyed.

actualy developed a good rapport (or so I thought) with the guy over the course of several sales. 

Got to say so far Uk, Germany, US and Canada never a problem in 15 years of eBay.

its actually part of the scam.  Same person buys from you a few times and you build what you feel is a good relationship with the buyer.  Then they hit you up asking for something or you mention you have something of value and they mention maybe handling the same outside of ebay so everyone can save a little money and you go for it.  Then exactly what happens to you occurs, they make a claim, you have nothing to back it up and your out money and product.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Captain_chaos said:

I'm in the midst of a chargeback now for £169.99 (buyer claims hacked). Hopefully, as I sent it tracked and fully insured, I will be OK.

Remember that the chargeback will cost you £14.