Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I keep getting these "Just for you" alerts pop up from the ebay app, usually with a percentage discount off something I've looked at recently. I click through to purchase, but there is never any discount at the end. I can't find the offer anywhere else either on the app or in my ebay account. Is this just some spam marketing gizmo with no real gold at the end of the rainbow??

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, BrickStanley74 said:

I keep getting these "Just for you" alerts pop up from the ebay app, usually with a percentage discount off something I've looked at recently. I click through to purchase, but there is never any discount at the end. I can't find the offer anywhere else either on the app or in my ebay account. Is this just some spam marketing gizmo with no real gold at the end of the rainbow??

Just become a Business Seller and you won't get any offers at all.

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

I would like take a moment to complain about sellers that use buy it now 'or best offer', but then aren't willing to accept anything less than 98% of their original price. 

If they want the full price, just damn well leave it at that with no offer. Morons.

I hear you but it worked out for me yesterday! I made an offer two weeks ago (or 5 offers that is) to realize the guy had the best offer set so high that 96% didn't work. I ended up buying anyway at full price which was still a good deal and got 10% eBay bucks, but I might have bought two or more if there was a little flexibility. So, yesterday, after receiving the item, I reached out to him to thank him for the great packing and quick shipment and to see if he would deal now. He offered me 20% off on two or more and I bought his last 5 and used eBay's 15% off coupon. Go figure. He would of made quite a bit more by being reasonable with his buy it now price. Even at 95%.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I would like take a moment to complain about sellers that use buy it now 'or best offer', but then aren't willing to accept anything less than 98% of their original price. 

If they want the full price, just damn well leave it at that with no offer. Morons.

LOL - I was one of those. If the best offer price is close to BIN, some prospective buyers fail on the 3rd attempt and often buy at BIN price. Nowadays, I let most offers expire and accept the highest one remaining just before I can next go to the post office which is on Tue/Thu/Sat. I dropped auctions ages ago as they always sold too cheap. We all know that 99% of watchers are competitors or tightarses.

I hate when they just reject your offer without making a counter.  I am obviously interested in the item so at least send a counter.

I hear you but it worked out for me yesterday! I made an offer two weeks ago (or 5 offers that is) to realize the guy had the best offer set so high that 96% didn't work. I ended up buying anyway at full price which was still a good deal and got 10% eBay bucks, but I might have bought two or more if there was a little flexibility. So, yesterday, after receiving the item, I reached out to him to thank him for the great packing and quick shipment and to see if he would deal now. He offered me 20% off on two or more and I bought his last 5 and used eBay's 15% off coupon. Go figure. He would of made quite a bit more by being reasonable with his buy it now price. Even at 95%.
So you bought those 5 Fire Bikes!
  • Haha 2

I understand where you are coming from but as an eBay seller I’d like to complain about the app. I’ve relisted some things recently and KNOW I double checked to NOT accept offers on my buy it now price. Wouldn’t you know not even 30 minutes after posted someone sends me an offer at less than 70% of asking price. Darn it if eBay didn’t automatically change my listing to accept offers. Grrrr!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Guest TabbyBoy
On 9/29/2018 at 2:41 AM, LegoAddict42 said:

I understand where you are coming from but as an eBay seller I’d like to complain about the app. I’ve relisted some things recently and KNOW I double checked to NOT accept offers on my buy it now price. Wouldn’t you know not even 30 minutes after posted someone sends me an offer at less than 70% of asking price. Darn it if eBay didn’t automatically change my listing to accept offers. Grrrr!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

eBay seems to reset default settings on most of my listings. I have disabled GSP on my profile, but it's often still enabled in most cases when I list an item for sale. I have to make sure that I turn this off as my sales are strictly to the UK only. However, I do like manual best offer these days as I simply ignore those that have zero or less than 98% feedback for anything valued at over £100. It's funny how even a 99% feedback on eBay rings alarm bells. but a 4.5/5.0 score on Amazon or Trustpilot doesn't.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, Darth_Raichu said:

PSA: Tis' the time of the year when scammers are out and about in full force.

Stay safe everyone and happy selling !!!

Considering the above...I had some EU buyer ask me to send him a pic of my new set next to a string of 10 numbers, and he will buy it.  What is that about?  

Then, I had my single, annual return request.  Parents irate that their 12-year old bought over $2000 of Legos and Spongebob items without them knowing.  They are in the process of returning everything.  Parent in me finds it hysterical (why the parents don't safeguard the internet from kids... and that a kid thought he could get away with it...).  The small eBay seller finds it annoying and wants the kid to pay me back $6 for free ship and free return.  Anyone else get this sob story...  Think it's legit based on the account's huge activity via feedback in past few weeks.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Considering the above...I had some EU buyer ask me to send him a pic of my new set next to a string of 10 numbers, and he will buy it.  What is that about?  

Then, I had my single, annual return request.  Parents irate that their 12-year old bought over $2000 of Legos and Spongebob items without them knowing.  They are in the process of returning everything.  Parent in me finds it hysterical (why the parents don't safeguard the internet from kids... and that a kid thought he could get away with it...).  The small eBay seller finds it annoying and wants the kid to pay me back $6 for free ship and free return.  Anyone else get this sob story...  Think it's legit based on the account's huge activity via feedback in past few weeks.

I've got similar, sort of, but it was the parent finding out after purchasing, but before shipping. Was able to cancel and refund. Could be a made-up story, but who knows.

5 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I had some EU buyer ask me to send him a pic of my new set next to a string of 10 numbers, and he will buy it.  What is that about?  

That is actually good for you both. He knows you actually have the set you are selling and you can use it to prove you have sent it.  I always take a shot of the packed set before it's closed up with the customers invoice present to show it's all legit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trstnkn said:

Kids, grandkids, nephews/nieces, cats. dogs... I received all sorts of excuses.  :P 

Guest TabbyBoy
29 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I'm not sure there are more, but we certainly have a few very special members.

I'm surprised I haven't been mentioned yet. I could qualify as I'm "sugar and spice and all things nice".

5 hours ago, trstnkn said:

I had the same parent deal with a couple of used Star Wars sets. Same deal with $2000 in Lego’s and Simpson. I’ve never taken a return so I told them I’d take the returns but they would need to pay the return shipping. Not really Paying attention I sent back a partial refund that evidently said that they could keep the product ?. They did say they shipped it back Friday so hopefully I’ll get it.   They have been in contact since so it seems legit.  If you did accept the return please let me know when you get it back. Thank you