Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

2 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I haven't had this come up for a while, but is there still no way to have a buyer update their shipping address after the purchase?  I can't see one, but thought I would check the pros.

How difficult is it for the buyer to have a package redirected with the shipping company?

Not if you want to be covered by seller protection.  If it's a regular and you need to then you can just edit the address.  

• Like 1

not ebay but bricklink

selling older used set from the early 80ies (EUR 140ish), pieces counted twice by my brother and our friend (they literally mounted the set twice, we have a common store) and placed into a sealed box until a valued customer bought it

shipped quickly from Italy to Italy and buyer comes back with very nasty and aggressive emails mentioning a number of missing pieces and two damaged pieces

we check our inventory and we separate everything offering to ship the missing pieces at our cost

buyer keeps sending aggressive emails and pretend expensive fastest shipping and also a transfer of EUR 20 to reimburse him for damage 

we would not accept that and we feel that eventually he would end up giving us negative feedback

background: the 3 of us bought many used sets in the last 3 years and 50% of the time if not more there were missing pieces, often we would replace them with pieces from our own inventory, if not we would kindly contact the seller / in few occasions seller did not bother to answer (couple times on ebay)  / most of the time seller would answer quickly and offer to either send missing pieces, reimburse for the value of the missing pieces or provide store credit

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Simon74 said:

not ebay but bricklink

selling older used set from the early 80ies (EUR 140ish), pieces counted twice by my brother and our friend (they literally mounted the set twice, we have a common store) and placed into a sealed box until a valued customer bought it

shipped quickly from Italy to Italy and buyer comes back with very nasty and aggressive emails mentioning a number of missing pieces and two damaged pieces

we check our inventory and we separate everything offering to ship the missing pieces at our cost

buyer keeps sending aggressive emails and pretend expensive fastest shipping and also a transfer of EUR 20 to reimburse him for damage 

we would not accept that and we feel that eventually he would end up giving us negative feedback

background: the 3 of us bought many used sets in the last 3 years and 50% of the time if not more there were missing pieces, often we would replace them with pieces from our own inventory, if not we would kindly contact the seller / in few occasions seller did not bother to answer (couple times on ebay)  / most of the time seller would answer quickly and offer to either send missing pieces, reimburse for the value of the missing pieces or provide store credit

Get somebody to send him a turd in the post.

Question for veteran eBay sellers.

I recently posted a bunch of sets (sealed in box) and 3 of my last orders have all been people with zero feedback, and when you go to their profile it states "____ has been a member since Nov 21, 2018" - so they are clearly accounts created on the fly.

The eBay account name itself is an odd amount of digits and letters (see attached). The addresses vary across the US though, but it definitely seems like these 3 sellers "accounts" have been automatically created. 

Are these simply guest accounts? And these are buyers via Google or whatever that don't have eBay accounts but are led to eBay so they create a guest account real quick? That makes the most sense, but figured I'd check.

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 10.13.27 AM.png

Shipped to about 4 or 5 of these this week... Don't recall ever seeing them in previous years, is it a new feature on eBay?

Kind of undermines their whole Buyer Seller feedback system, and how it's supposed to foster confidence in the sellers you're purchasing from. Can't expect you'll ever get feedback from those accounts...Bleh, effing ebay.... 

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Just received a neutral feedback (so presumably a seller defect) from selling the 40289 Diagon Alley promo. Buyer said: ''I did not know this was a micro set, disappointed''.

I despair. 

I had the same when I sold a mini VW T1 polybag, even though I described it accurately with photos. I opened a chat with eBay and got it deleted as I my listing was clear. Of course, I then blocked the seller as a lot like to try it on. Have you opened a chat with eBay?

31 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I had the same when I sold a mini VW T1 polybag, even though I described it accurately with photos. I opened a chat with eBay and got it deleted as I my listing was clear. Of course, I then blocked the seller as a lot like to try it on. Have you opened a chat with eBay?

I will do later. I listed it with my own photo of the actual set and the title was fine, so hopefully it can get removed. Did the buyer really think they would get a 10217-sized Diagon Alley for £40? Who knows?

• Like 1

I will do later. I listed it with my own photo of the actual set and the title was fine, so hopefully it can get removed. Did the buyer really think they would get a 10217-sized Diagon Alley for £40? Who knows?

You’re giving the buyer too much credit. Of course they did.

Yes, chat with eBay. As much as they side with buyers, this is a slam dunk for removal. You did everything right, and their remorse and disappointment have nothing to do with your listing.

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yes, chat with eBay. As much as they side with buyers, this is a slam dunk for removal. You did everything right, and their remorse and disappointment have nothing to do with your listing.

Apparently not. My appeal has been denied and eBay will not be removing the feedback. It seems that, to avoid this in future, I am expected to add specific dimensions of the set to the description.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

There are about 25 counterfeit listings for 41130 Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster on eBay. Anybody care to join me in flagging all of them? ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I think it's about time that LEGO took eBay to court and, if they win, Amazon next?

6 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

Apparently not. My appeal has been denied and eBay will not be removing the feedback. It seems that, to avoid this in future, I am expected to add specific dimensions of the set to the description.

Call, don't chat. If you run out of luck with the first person you get on the phone, hang up and call again. 

Second option is to contact the buyer directly and ask for a feedback revision request. If they don't agree to remove the feedback, then make certain you are up to speed on Ebay's policies for removing feedback and understand their extortion and manipulation policy. If the buyer is indeed a complete idiot then they might very well violate it by suggesting you "make it right" in some way. 

• Like 1

Indeed. Don't give up. I had to scrap several hours to stop a return case w/ negative feedback on a polybag AT-AT set a mom decided was too small AFTER she let her kid open and build it.

Took multiple escalations and explanation that for 10% of my sales over several years I deserve better service than to be told "feedback is a buyer's opinion and if that's how she felt it is legitimate."

Once I got past the flesh puppets to a person with a brain it was fairly simple.

We sellers need to keep supporting each other by fighting for ourselves.

• Like 2

Seems comical that out of the couple return requests I've had, maybe 2 out of 3 were polybags. Then I read others' issues and they're also polybags.
Having a piece count of 30-60 should be an obvious hint....and the pictures......and the fact that it's in a bag.
Perhaps they're used to buying cheap knockoffs since those don't have boxes.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:07 AM, Zelgazra said:

Shipped to about 4 or 5 of these this week... Don't recall ever seeing them in previous years, is it a new feature on eBay?

Kind of undermines their whole Buyer Seller feedback system, and how it's supposed to foster confidence in the sellers you're purchasing from. Can't expect you'll ever get feedback from those accounts...Bleh, effing ebay.... 

who cares about feedback they are bringing in buyers and $ through google searches or whatever this is a good thing surprised sellers would be complaining about this...They might even be bringing in potential amazon customers through google search to buy our products when they see the price difference on google shopping. if they dont leave feedback who cares. Every change even good ones will have people complaining on both sides. I say more power to ebay and keep it up. many of the other changes they make and have made are very idiotic so I am certainly no cheerleader.

• Like 1