Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I`m pretty new to ebay and just recently got into Legos.

Anyway the way the searches work nowdays I could be searching for a set and come across a seller just seling the minifigs....i wont see the actual pics (just generic ones) of the set and if i click buy now...bam...i just bought a minifig expecting a set.

Now i didn't know the minifig market rate was over half the price of a used set so the price just looked like a good deal.  Often times i may just search for something (relatively low price) without doing the research and came close to buying completely different things. Its probably pretty common.

Just sayin we`re not all crooks or idiots...just in hurry or a bit lazy.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm back on eBay for a little while to offload some turkeys. It appears that the celebral capacity and courtesy of some buyers is still lacking. I sold 3 items this morning and all 3 buyers have asked me for their 15% discount (the cheek of it!) as per eBay's current offer. I was only aware of the offer when I saw a rather abusive message from one rude cow. It appears that some can't read either as it clearly states that the PRESENTS code can only be used once per account and they want to use it twice! Of course, I'm being blamed for this even though it's eBay that honour the discount and not the seller. I now have to go through the pain of refunding the buyers and getting my fees back. I have now ended all my current listings and told eBay on chat why I have done so! I've been given some free listings as goodwill, but will only be back when there's no discount codes to cock it all up!

It goes without saying.... those buyers will be blocked once the transactions are cancelled and my fees refunded.

Didn't I tell you all that Xmas is a VERY BAD TIME to sell on eBay? Grrrrrr!

10 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm back on eBay for a little while to offload some turkeys. It appears that the celebral capacity and courtesy of some buyers is still lacking. I sold 3 items this morning and all 3 buyers have asked me for their 15% discount (the cheek of it!) as per eBay's current offer. I was only aware of the offer when I saw a rather abusive message from one rude cow. It appears that some can't read either as it clearly states that the PRESENTS code can only be used once per account and they want to use it twice! Of course, I'm being blamed for this even though it's eBay that honour the discount and not the seller. I now have to go through the pain of refunding the buyers and getting my fees back. I have now ended all my current listings and told eBay on chat why I have done so! I've been given some free listings as goodwill, but will only be back when there's no discount codes to cock it all up!

It goes without saying.... those buyers will be blocked once the transactions are cancelled and my fees refunded.

Didn't I tell you all that Xmas is a VERY BAD TIME to sell on eBay? Grrrrrr!

This is probably an inevitable result of eBay's push to mainstream retail. Buyers forget (due to incompetence) that they are ordering from third party individuals, rather than eBay themselves.

How do you all handle late packages? I sent out a first class package of a cheap purchase ($19.99) the day it was paid for, and it was going a relatively short distance. It's still showing "in transit to next facility and has been hung there for five days. 

Buyer hasn't complained yet. Do I just refund and he gets to keep it, or another route?

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

This is probably an inevitable result of eBay's push to mainstream retail. Buyers forget (due to incompetence) that they are ordering from third party individuals, rather than eBay themselves.

At least 2 of my buyers contacted eBay and they were, in fact, allowed to use the code again so I still got the sale. The 3rd is a bit thick so I've thrown in a Snow Globe to shut her up which she's fine with - all good, phew. It's about time that we had a new peer-to-peer selling site with lower fees, but good security at both ends.

How do you all handle late packages? I sent out a first class package of a cheap purchase ($19.99) the day it was paid for, and it was going a relatively short distance. It's still showing "in transit to next facility and has been hung there for five days. 
Buyer hasn't complained yet. Do I just refund and he gets to keep it, or another route?
I learned a few years ago ( on this forum) that packages magically start moving again as soon as you sign up for text/email alerts for the package in question. Worked like a charm again 2 weeks ago when a LEGO Shop at Home package inexplicably got stuck in the same status as you mentioned above.

Just go to the tracking page and look on the right hand side of the screen for notification options. I typically select them all.
  • Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

If this is eBay, you should be covered if you sent to a verified address with proof of postage and tracking. If you've done your job, it should be the selling platform (eBay/Amazon) that honour any refunds.

1 minute ago, iahawks550 said:

I ship a lot of stuff cross border from Canada to the US, and that stuff can go more than a week without any movements. It's certainly nerve racking, but they always show up.

If it's a high priced item i will contact the buyer just after expected delivery and just let them know i am aware the item is late, but that it could likely just be caught up in customs. And i usually open a ticket with Canada post just to start the lost item claim in case it doesn't show up. I let them know I've done this and it just gives the buyer more comfort in knowing i am concerned about their late item. With this method I've never had anyone get upset or open item not received case.

Yours sounds like a domestic package so could be slightly different, but i'd still follow this process.

7 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

If this is eBay, you should be covered if you sent to a verified address with proof of postage and tracking. If you've done your job, it should be the selling platform (eBay/Amazon) that honour any refunds.

Doing some reading, it looks like I am on the hook until it show delivered. So, the buyer has a genuine reason to be pissed (they just want the item) and I have a reason to be pissed. It looks like the only solution is to refund the payment, suck up the loss on postage, and they will (maybe) just get the free item one day.

No. Slow down.

Has the buyer even complained or inquired yet?

First class packages get sidelined for days to a few weeks (especially this time of year) quite often. If you got it in the mail on time, reasonably protected, with tracking, you did your part. 

Feel free to politely relay that info as needed.

99% chance it arrives in a week's time.

1 minute ago, iahawks550 said:

I guess if I were a buyer, I would expect my item within a week. I know nothing is guaranteed as far as shipping time, jus trying to put myself in their shoes. If I ordered something from Amazon and it didnt show in seven days, I would be calling. 

There was a postal holiday last week and significant weather delays in middle of country.

If buyer is ranting, yeah - maybe have it go away with quick refund.  Otherwise, I'd ask them to be patient and check back in after day or two.  

Edited by trstnkn

What you can do, if feeling kind / generous / guilty, is hassle the postal service on behalf of the buyer. I've done this a couple times to quench the thirst of buyer impatience and it was very well received.

If you were the buyer and could see the seller sent it on time would you try to hold them accountable? C'mon. Sounds like eBay customer service, not a seller...

Besides if they wanted it fast they should have asked for an upgrade to Priority Mail.

• Thanks 1

If you've signed up for notifications already and it's been 7 days since USPS took possession, file a missing package claim if you haven't already.

I'd also send a message to the buyer apologizing for the inconvenience caused by the shipper's delay, thank them for their patience, let them know the steps taken to followup with USPS, remind them of their buyer protection options, and ask if they can be patient for a couple days more.

It's great that you're willing to eat the cost but, assuming you did everything you're supposed to, this is why we ebay and PayPal take their cut. Let it come out of their end.

You should be fine with Proof of Shipment if USPS lost the package and stopped updating tracking info.

12 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

12 hours ago, Phil B said:

I learned a few years ago ( on this forum) that packages magically start moving again as soon as you sign up for text/email alerts for the package in question. Worked like a charm again 2 weeks ago when a LEGO Shop at Home package inexplicably got stuck in the same status as you mentioned above.

Just go to the tracking page and look on the right hand side of the screen for notification options. I typically select them all.

Phil B's post is accurate. I've had a few packages get stuck in transit and as soon as I request text alerts/updates it magically begins moving again after a day or so, eventually making its way to its destination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1