Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

23 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Facebook Marketplace. Pretty sure this is wildly available at Barnes & Noble for 20% right now.

e714b491aa06b985e9452ced647210e0.jpg

Ha! In the same vain, the local Craigslist has a Newt's Case of Magical Creatures at $70 (down from original post of $80, a bargain!) thats been floating around for awhile now. Easily obtained at or usually below RRP everywhere... 

Last year I tried to quick flip my one Ewok's Village at RRP back when I think it was mostly sold out but either Amazon or Target that had it at a pretty big discount. I received multiple emails from people just letting me know about the sale. I can only imagine what this person's inbox is like...

9 minutes ago, legorunner said:

I received multiple emails from people just letting me know about the sale. I can only imagine what this person's inbox is like...

I'm not sure what it's like around you, but there isn't a BN within at least 40 miles of me that has these. A couple had stock listed, and I placed online orders for pickup awhile ago, which were cancelled due to no stock. Then the stock disappeared on the website for those stores. 

1 hour ago, BillyBricks said:

I'm not sure what it's like around you, but there isn't a BN within at least 40 miles of me that has these. A couple had stock listed, and I placed online orders for pickup awhile ago, which were cancelled due to no stock. Then the stock disappeared on the website for those stores. 

Sorry, I was referring to the Newt's Case. B&N are indeed out of Minnies around me. 

20 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Well, it was still in stock last week.

A week is a long time at Xmas. By this time next year, these bad boys will be selling for that no issues and the seller´s inbox will be full of desperate please from Last Minute Lauras trying to get one for little Timetta.

Edited by Val-E

today is not my day...

what happened was this guy phished this account or something and then placed two mega orders from me. after I printed out the shipping labels he probably thought i was going to ship them.  fortunately enough i caught the charge back due to fraud before I put them in the pile to be collected.

hope everyone is careful and watchful of these scams.

image.thumb.png.52c429d7639ce91f073f44b33937f04d.png

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

And? What did she say cause I wanna know wth too ;) 

Well, she was helping me out, I had a migraine from my neck being out and could barely think straight but a sale went thru.  So she was nice enough to go down to bring my laptop back up.  I paid for shipping and she connected it to the printer (old school, no wifi printing for us haha).  She's a problem solver so after it didn't work she went right to, "Hmm, let's try it again to see if it's the computer or the printer."  Ultimately, we don't know what it was.  I was using Mozilla Firefox like usual for web browser.  Seems like a one-off fluke.  Close the tab, reopened it from eBay, worked fine.  The funny thing was what was shown on screen was fine, what came out the printer was bunk.  Strange...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MusiKyle said:

Well, she was helping me out, I had a migraine from my neck being out and could barely think straight but a sale went thru.  So she was nice enough to go down to bring my laptop back up.  I paid for shipping and she connected it to the printer (old school, no wifi printing for us haha).  She's a problem solver so after it didn't work she went right to, "Hmm, let's try it again to see if it's the computer or the printer."  Ultimately, we don't know what it was.  I was using Mozilla Firefox like usual for web browser.  Seems like a one-off fluke.  Close the tab, reopened it from eBay, worked fine.  The funny thing was what was shown on screen was fine, what came out the printer was bunk.  Strange...

You're seeing the Unicode character values instead of the actual Unicode characters. Might have been an out-of-memory issue in your browser.

I have something similar - when the Paypal label print dialog shows up and I print from there, the label will print out fine. But if for some reason I need to reprint from the same screen, the second printout has a weird font (all sorts of kerning and spacing issues) and I don't trust the barcodes. In those cases I have to download the label and open it outside of my browser in a PDF viewer to get a good print. Annoying but doesn't happen that often (typically the first print works out fine). Likely a Linux issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I sold a 75157 Rex at-te factory sealed.  on Christmas Day I get a msg from the customer that the set was missing the Minifigures and wanted their money back. I take pictures of the seals for my listing and no tampering at all so I politely question whether or not it was a set that came for me because as you can see in my pictures the seals are factory sealed with no tampering. They got upset and knowing I’d lose anyway if it was up to eBay so I accepted the return.  I was very nice about it. So I get it back today and sure enough someone had opened it from the crease and sealed it with double sided tape. Not only that but they had 8 bags in it that they somehow had resealed??. Not only are the Minifigures missing but a lot of the more expensive parts!  Who the heck would go to all that trouble. I am truly shocked!!

so I believe it was somebody before eBay but didn’t know where else to post such a crazy story. All this time I thought all I had to worry about were the seals. ?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mgip21 said:

So I sold a 75157 Rex at-te factory sealed.  on Christmas Day I get a msg from the customer that the set was missing the Minifigures and wanted their money back. I take pictures of the seals for my listing and no tampering at all so I politely question whether or not it was a set that came for me because as you can see in my pictures the seals are factory sealed with no tampering. They got upset and knowing I’d lose anyway if it was up to eBay so I accepted the return.  I was very nice about it. So I get it back today and sure enough someone had opened it from the crease and sealed it with double sided tape. Not only that but they had 8 bags in it that they somehow had resealed??. Not only are the Minifigures missing but a lot of the more expensive parts!  Who the heck would go to all that trouble. I am truly shocked!!

so I believe it was somebody before eBay but didn’t know where else to post such a crazy story. All this time I thought all I had to worry about were the seals. ?

weigh the sets also and check on bricklink what should be their factory weight.

14 minutes ago, vexxet said:

weigh the sets also and check on bricklink what should be their factory weight.

thank you.  I did know  that and if the seals look fishy then I do that. but like I said if the seals look perfect I never thought about anything else. And I have a ton of sets and did not plan to weigh every single one of them, but geez i guess I have to. That’s so crazy to me people would do that knowing one day Someone else, more than likely a kid, would be getting the sets they are returning. Wow just wow

26 minutes ago, Mgip21 said:

thank you.  I did know  that and if the seals look fishy then I do that. but like I said if the seals look perfect I never thought about anything else. And I have a ton of sets and did not plan to weigh every single one of them, but geez i guess I have to. That’s so crazy to me people would do that knowing one day Someone else, more than likely a kid, would be getting the sets they are returning. Wow just wow

the scum of the earth also use super glue to make the seals look perfect.  see if there is a tear around the edges of your seals where the box material came off on them.

I had the same happening to me on a Dimensions Fantastic Beast starter pack once. Box looked perfectly sealed but I could hear pieces rattle inside. Luckily I caught it in store and was able to go to customer service where they opened it and of course, the bag with the minifigs was open and the minifigs were gone.

Really bizarre that people go through that kind of trouble.

I personally think LEGO should go back to fliptop boxes with clear plastic inserts, so you can see what you get. Or just a transparent plastic back panel.

• Sad 1

On 12/30/2018 at 3:17 AM, Mgip21 said:

Atleast it looked sealed. 

I was getting my older stuff ready for xmas sales and found a couple of 70795 that I bought from TRU a while back.  One was rattling.  Looked at the seals & it was sellotaped like hell.  Rookie mistake and dont know how i missed it when i bought.  Also why the feck would TRU sell it taped up with ALL the internal bags opened. 

• 2 weeks later...

Preface:  I have done business with dozens and dozens of 0 feedback buyers and never had a problem until now.

So this guy makes an account and orders a speed champions set. I go to ship and alas, his street address is coming up as just numbers, no name. So I message him politely advising him to change his address in Paypal, let me know as soon as he does, and boom we will be on our way. He replies that he doesn't know how to do that, doesn't even know "what it was using to pay", etc. Soon after, in comes a RETURN REQUEST on this item that has not even been sent, let alone received. So I call eBay and of course they don't know WTF to do because they are trained to apologize constantly without actually resolving anything, as well as the fact that the system is constantly being changed and part of that is to lock customer service out of "tampering" i.e. fixing bullshit in cases like this. I tell them I am not changing his address manually because it forfeits seller protection. They assure me I will be protected, via notes being made due to this phone call, etc. I ask if that applies to PayPal as well, and gee, guess what? they can't speak for PayPal. So we move on. For those who don't know, there are certain seller metrics and other reasons not to accept a return that isn't legit, so I tell them that avenue is not acceptable to me even if I could get past the principle of the matter. Their brilliant advice of course is to just accept the return, refund the guy his money and start over. Or I can ask him to cancel the return. They have no idea if the order can be cancelled after that (the option is blocked now because the system thinks the guy has his item) but that seems the best bet to me. So I message him accordingly. Two days more now, and he replies that he called eBay and they advised him to not to cancel the return until he gets his money back. The guy has said he just wants to figure out how to get this item for his friend that collects them. He said he would pay double shipping or whatever it takes given his mistake, blah blah. Now he c***blocks my efforts to help him?

He got a not-so-nice reply outlining how he is responsible for this entire mess and he can either comply with instructions if he wants his money back or figure it out himself, but I am NOT changing his address manually and NOT accepting a return for an item that was never sent. Holy crap.

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Grynn said:

Preface:  I have done business with dozens and dozens of 0 feedback buyers and never had a problem until now.

So this guy makes an account and orders a speed champions set. I go to ship and alas, his street address is coming up as just numbers, no name. So I message him politely advising him to change his address in Paypal, let me know as soon as he does, and boom we will be on our way. He replies that he doesn't know how to do that, doesn't even know "what it was using to pay", etc. Soon after, in comes a RETURN REQUEST on this item that has not been sent, let alone received. So I call eBay and of course they don't know WTF to do because the system is constantly changing and more and more seems to lock them out of "tampering" i.e. fixing bullshit like this. For those who don't know, there are certain seller metrics and other reasons not to accept a return that isn't legit. Their advice of course is to just refund the guy his money and start over. Or I can ask him to cancel the return. They have no idea if the order can be cancelled after that (the option is blocked now because the system thinks the guy has his item) but that seems my best bet. So I message him accordingly. Two days more now, and he replies that he called eBay and they advised him to not to cancel the return until he gets his money back. The guy has said more than once he just wants to figure out how to get this item for his friend that collects them. He said he would pay double shipping or whatever it takes, blah blah. Now he c***blocks my efforts to help him?

He got a not-so-nice reply outlining how he is responsible for this entire mess and he can either comply with instructions if he wants his money back or figure it out himself, but I am NOT changing his address manually and NOT accepting a return for an item that was never sent. Holy crap.

If he changes his address in PayPal, it won't update the ship to address in eBay for something already purchased.  Did you plan to ship through PayPal?

I believe this becomes a cancel and re-buy situation with the correct address.  They have the cancel option for an incorrect address, but I try to communicate all this before cancelling so they know what is going on and don't just get an "order cancelled" email.

3 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

If he changes his address in PayPal, it won't update the ship to address in eBay for something already purchased.  Did you plan to ship through PayPal?

I believe this becomes a cancel and re-buy situation with the correct address.  They have the cancel option for an incorrect address, but I try to communicate all this before cancelling so they know what is going on and don't just get an "order cancelled" email.

I could ship either way but if he changes his PayPal address then I would at least have seller protection through PayPal as well.

Cancel and re-buy would have been fine before he initiated that bogus "return". At the moment there is no way for either of us to cancel the order, thus the ignorant mess. And with him making it harder every step of the way, re-buy will NOT be an option whatsoever. I would probably get a SNAD because he wanted bogus bricks instead of real Lego.