Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

yes ebay has emailed twice over the last year asking for someone to be unblocked.  First time was pretty standard please look at it and if you still don't want to that is fine.

2nd time was recent and the language was pretty stern compared to the past.  

In their quest to be like amazon I do see them dropping the feature down the road.    They want as many buyers as possible.  If anything they might go to where you have had to of dealed with the buyer to be able to block to avoid the mass blocks.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, ravenb99 said:

yes ebay has emailed twice over the last year asking for someone to be unblocked.  First time was pretty standard please look at it and if you still don't want to that is fine.

2nd time was recent and the language was pretty stern compared to the past.  

In their quest to be like amazon I do see them dropping the feature down the road.    They want as many buyers as possible.  If anything they might go to where you have had to of dealed with the buyer to be able to block to avoid the mass blocks.

So it's not just me then? However, I have well over 100 buyers currently blocked, but have been there for over 15 years and paid over £100,000 in fees - grrrrr!

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

So it's not just me then? However, I have well over 100 buyers currently blocked, but have been there for over 15 years and paid over £100,000 in fees - grrrrr!

Nope not just you.   Was in Oct the last one.  Previous one earlier in year was basically a hey if you want to re-evaluate the buyer would appreciate it type message.  

this time basically along the lines of  "user would like to be able to purchase your items, thank you for your cooperation in this matter"

like not cooperating wasn't in your best interest type of tone.  

doesn't matter how much you spend in fees they still want buyers.  My fees are over 100k a year with them and if they want to enforce a point they just refer to the user agreement that states you agree to certain decisions if they come down to it. 

recently quoted them the policy on something regarding a return and got an almost instant reply outlined in all bold that in certain situations they basically have final say which is agreed upon in the terms of service.   

Overall they've been pretty good siding with me though through the dedicated email support for the top store level.  Usually get the same 2 or 3 reps on that team which is nice.   Only had one or 2 things not go my way. 

1 hour ago, cocobay71 said:

Buyer requirements

s.gif s.gif s.gif s.gif s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Block buyers who:
s.gif
Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 12 month(s)
Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower

Exactly, zero feedbackers i.e. new accounts,  you can't block

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Nope not just you.   Was in Oct the last one.  Previous one earlier in year was basically a hey if you want to re-evaluate the buyer would appreciate it type message.  

this time basically along the lines of  "user would like to be able to purchase your items, thank you for your cooperation in this matter"

like not cooperating wasn't in your best interest type of tone.  

doesn't matter how much you spend in fees they still want buyers.  My fees are over 100k a year with them and if they want to enforce a point they just refer to the user agreement that states you agree to certain decisions if they come down to it. 

recently quoted them the policy on something regarding a return and got an almost instant reply outlined in all bold that in certain situations they basically have final say which is agreed upon in the terms of service.   

Overall they've been pretty good siding with me though through the dedicated email support for the top store level.  Usually get the same 2 or 3 reps on that team which is nice.   Only had one or 2 things not go my way. 

i wonder how they go about requesting permission to buy your item, the buyer not eBay.  I thought when you blocked someone they couldn't see your listings, obviously they could see them if they're not logged in, but did they just email eBay and say they wanted to buy stuff from your store or is there a button for that?  You must have had something they really wanted to go through the trouble.

2 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

i wonder how they go about requesting permission to buy your item, the buyer not eBay.  I thought when you blocked someone they couldn't see your listings, obviously they could see them if they're not logged in, but did they just email eBay and say they wanted to buy stuff from your store or is there a button for that?  You must have had something they really wanted to go through the trouble.

yeah they call or email customer support,  would assume call as it comes over pretty quick and comes in a direct message in your inbox with the heading 'courtesy email' with a case type number

sometimes they email you as well asking why they can't bid.  Usually forget they caused a situation or had an issue in the first place as time goes by.  If they are persistent enough in trying to figure out why it won't let them bid that is usually when they contact ebay.   It is rare.  Only had a handful and just in the last year or so.  

they've changed the block results over the years.  I know at one point it would block them from messaging you as well.  Not sure what they see at this point.  Kind of like they change what is viewable now compared to the old days.

• Like 1

I just bought auction Diney castle.NIB.Arrived with seals broken.I contacted seller and swore all was intact and sealscome off because it was stored in cold place.

Should I send back.NIB means seals intact.I contact sellers if the seals are broken I get so many with seals broken as NIB.

What do you think should the seals be intact?Valuegoes down when they are not sealed broken.Should I ask for some money back or refund.

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, tasiatunes said:

I just bought auction Diney castle.NIB.Arrived with seals broken.I contacted seller and swore all was intact and sealscome off because it was stored in cold place.

Should I send back.NIB means seals intact.I contact sellers if the seals are broken I get so many with seals broken as NIB.

What do you think should the seals be intact?Valuegoes down when they are not sealed broken.Should I ask for some money back or refund.

New In Box doesn't mean that seals are intact. The listing must state that seals are intact, did it?

3 hours ago, tasiatunes said:

57 minutes ago, tasiatunes said:

No it did not.does this reduce the value

Did you buy this for resell?  Or to build?

If you're worried - do an inventory of the bags.  If everything is there, then don't sweat it.  If it's for personal build, you're fine.  If it's for investment, just hold onto it.  You'll do fine.

Guest TabbyBoy

I have an acronym for these people:

All

Resellers

Should

Expect

Hundreds

Of

Lego

Ebay

Scammers

Edited by TabbyBoy

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Did you buy this for resell?  Or to build?

If you're worried - do an inventory of the bags.  If everything is there, then don't sweat it.  If it's for personal build, you're fine.  If it's for investment, just hold onto it.  You'll do fine.

Unless it was an amazing deal (set is not even retired, right?) if it's for investment then totally send it back...why inherit the headache?

That said, if I'm shopping on ebay and the add shows picks of the sealed bags ...I treat it in my head like a new set w/ addtional asurrances...BUT only for a personal build. Clearly you may lose some prospective cutomers w/ seals broken.

I got a UCS Slave 1 w/ suspect seals (for personal build in a year or two) from walmart on sale...so I messaged Lego customer service and sent them a picture of all the bags and they confirmed that the bags were all good.

Just to clarify on the question... NIB quite literally means New in Box.... which it was. I would use this acronym on an Open Box Sealed Bags listing myself since nobody knows OBSB...

NISB means New in Sealed Box. If the listing didn't state anything about Sealed Box there's no real fault made by the seller. For a set that size, when (if?) it retires, there will be little difference in selling price. As mentioned by Joe vs Dan above, a picture of all the sealed bags is an assurance to the buyer they're getting a 100% complete set. For any of said buyers who are planning to build the set, the fact the box is open shouldn't matter much to them. Speaking from (albeit limited) experience, it won't matter.

Kids got new iPhones for Xmas, and now have Earpods with lightning connectors (their previous phones were iphone 5's which use a normal 3.5mm plug). Anyway, it wasn't three weeks in or my daughter managed to snap her lightning plug right off her earphones, so I've been stockpiling replacements from EBay (my buy in is less than $10 each for new ones, where RRP is $30).

Unfortunately, out of the 4 sets I have bought so far, 2 came in as non-lightning .... sigh....

EDIT: mobile BP app cannot handle the less-than sign.

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Kids got new iPhones for Xmas, and now have Earpods with lightning connectors (their previous phones were iphone 5's which use a normal 3.5mm plug). Anyway, it wasn't three weeks in or my daughter managed to snap her lightning plug right off her earphones, so I've been stockpiling replacements from EBay (my buy in is

How can I petition for negative feedback to be removed? I have been lucky to have not run into scammers etc until this point but my 100% feedback is now tainted by somebody who claims he "couldn't see the creases" (which there were none anyway) on a box. The listing also said "please inspect box for yourself very carefully, sold as is (I am paraphrasing a bit) but the point of it was I wasn't making any claims about box condition, only that it was new, in sealed box. 

12 minutes ago, t_mafia said:

How can I petition for negative feedback to be removed? I have been lucky to have not run into scammers etc until this point but my 100% feedback is now tainted by somebody who claims he "couldn't see the creases" (which there were none anyway) on a box. The listing also said "please inspect box for yourself very carefully, sold as is (I am paraphrasing a bit) but the point of it was I wasn't making any claims about box condition, only that it was new, in sealed box. 

I doubt they would remove that neg but you could try with concierge or just calling till you get through to someone willing to help.

21 minutes ago, t_mafia said:

Did he contact you first before leaving feedback? 

35 minutes ago, t_mafia said:

Nope, and when I contacted him to see if I could help he said "idk, not much u can do"

Another way out apart from those suggested above is to check if the buyer leaves frequent negs and then use that evidence with Ebay CS to get yours removed. I wouldn´t hold my breath.

• Like 1

Morning all. Bit of advice required - particularly from my UK brothers.. I have sold a set on eBay, for the first time to somebody with zero feedback. I know we all have to start somewhere and I was there once etc, but the username is generic and I am a little wary. Maybe because I have read so many stories here. I have emailed the buyer to at least confirm the address and he has replied. It is in the UK. Are there any other tips or safeguarding which could help in the event that the buyer mugs me off? Grateful as always.

1 minute ago, Gary81 said:

Morning all. Bit of advice required - particularly from my UK brothers.. I have sold a set on eBay, for the first time to somebody with zero feedback. I know we all have to start somewhere and I was there once etc, but the username is generic and I am a little wary. Maybe because I have read so many stories here. I have emailed the buyer to at least confirm the address and he has replied. It is in the UK. Are there any other tips or safeguarding which could help in the event that the buyer mugs me off? Grateful as always.

probably a guest account