Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

An eBay user took the time to send me a message explaining why he chose to purchase a Disney CMF listing that was priced higher than mine, because of uncertainty of what he'd get based on my product description.  I said they were new, sealed, but I used a stock photo of the minifigs and hadn't added an actual photo yet. I just thought that was kind of nuts, because it would take just as much effort to ask me the question before buying to clarify that they were indeed new and sealed, and he could've saved himself a buck or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyweasel said:

An eBay user took the time to send me a message explaining why he chose to purchase a Disney CMF listing that was priced higher than mine, because of uncertainty of what he'd get based on my product description.  I said they were new, sealed, but I used a stock photo of the minifigs and hadn't added an actual photo yet. I just thought that was kind of nuts, because it would take just as much effort to ask me the question before buying to clarify that they were indeed new and sealed, and he could've saved himself a buck or two.

Buying a minifig from eBay: $20
Telling some random seller that they do things wrong: Priceless

:drag:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, donbee said:

Lol.
I’m gonna take a minute to tell you why I’m not your customer, because I didn’t have time to ask you the question I needed to know in order to be your customer. Just thought you’d like to know, money is not important to me, but my time is. Except when I’m correcting other people. I have plenty of time for that.

my problem w/ CMF is the whole "new" descriptor because on ebay that means 3 or more different things:

sealed and "guaranteed" to be the right figure based on smooshing (what if it isn't?)

unsealed but somehow still "new"

unsealed and like "new"

...and that's why clear images are important because new is no longer a clear description

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Condition is black and white to me:

If the box is still sealed in original retail packaging, it's NEW. Box condition (and photo) can be mentioned in description.

If the contents have been touched post official retailer or box unsealed, it's USED. Contents condition (and photo) can be mentioned in description.

"Like New" is BS to me, it's either brand new and sealed off the shelf or it's not!

I also clearly state that I do not sell to collectors or resellers, it has eliminated box condition complaints virtually overnight.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

...I also clearly state that I do not sell to collectors or resellers, it has eliminated box condition complaints virtually overnight.

Would you elaborate on this a bit more? When I list on eBay, I make sure to point out all the dings and dents on sets I sell so I don't have SNAD cases. It's a bit of a pain in the arse and I would love to eliminate that if it's easy to do so. 

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Would you elaborate on this a bit more? When I list on eBay, I make sure to point out all the dings and dents on sets I sell so I don't have SNAD cases. It's a bit of a pain in the arse and I would love to eliminate that if it's easy to do so. 

I've had instances of where SaH boxes from factory cartons have edges that don't quite line up perfectly and crooked seals, they also have the odd crease sometimes, especially if packed with a useless promo set. I just got sick of box-lickers complaining and I'm now happy to undercut most other sellers by a few %.

To me, non-stock photos show that the seller is private and a reseller - stock photos (like Amazon, Walmert, John Lewis, etc.) show that the seller is more professional. It's just the way that I look at it.

10 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

my problem w/ CMF is the whole "new" descriptor because on ebay that means 3 or more different things:

sealed and "guaranteed" to be the right figure based on smooshing (what if it isn't?)

unsealed but somehow still "new"

unsealed and like "new"

...and that's why clear images are important because new is no longer a clear description

I struggle with this as a seller (don't care much as a buyer).
While smooshing might be 99% accurate, there's still risk.
I transfer the contents into baggies without touching them, so they're literally untouched, but eBay's definition of New is "unopened," so they're listed as Used.
I do wish there were a New-Other option as Used is such a wide range (literally untouched vs dog/toddler chewed). :|

I rec'd a LEGO set NISB today from ebay purchase.

what makes it interesting is that the sender basically only used brown wrapping paper taped with duct tape around the set box and stuck a Priority Mail Label on it.

And it arrived...pristine....after travelling across the whole darn country.

Seriously what are the odds of this?

In contrast, the last time a seller used the original box as the ONLY box...the "package" came in pieces in a USPS Bucket along w/ misc crap the postal worker wanted to get rid off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

what makes it interesting is that the sender basically only used brown wrapping paper taped with duct tape around the set box and stuck a Priority Mail Label on it.

In contrast, the last time a seller used the original box as the ONLY box...the "package" came in pieces in a USPS Bucket along w/ misc crap the postal worker wanted to get rid off.

What that tells me is that it's almost more important that USPS handle stuff with care than it is for the seller to be careful how they ship it.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Pretty astonishing really.   If I try to use duct tape even on a box my local says " try again" and I must come back with packing tape.?  Only tried that once and it was just stuff for my son in school, not a sale.    I only have a few ship out locations anywhere near and they all can be pretty picky sometimes but that just makes for a good product received I trust.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, firstofminifigs said:

Sold an open box Indominus Rex Breakout today (still awaiting payment). Zero feedback buyer with location in Singapore although my listing ships to US only. Thoughts? Really don't want to ship a $350 item under these circumstances.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

They may be trying to set up a freight forwarder before they pay, may want to adjust your listings to require immediate payment. Certainly not the best circumstances, but it could work out just fine. I would hold it as long as your listing hold time allows to give eBay/PayPal time to see if the purchase is fraudulent.  Just follow the guidelines and ship on time and you should be covered. 

24 minutes ago, firstofminifigs said:

Sold an open box Indominus Rex Breakout today (still awaiting payment). Zero feedback buyer with location in Singapore although my listing ships to US only. Thoughts? Really don't want to ship a $350 item under these circumstances.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I would caution doing business with 0 feedback buyers from Singapore.  At least wait the maximum time before shipping to make sure the money is not flagged as suspicious / fraud by Paypal.

If we list that we only ship to US buyers, how do international people bid and win an auction?  I have had several auctions that this has happened to.  in the end, i've agreed to ship to them and padded my freight $, but its annoying

Are you enrolled in eBay’s Global Shipping Program? It’s the only international option that I use and highly recommend it. If they do use a freight forward service, they lose all buyer protection once it is reshipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Are you enrolled in eBay’s Global Shipping Program? It’s the only international option that I use and highly recommend it. If they do use a freight forward service, they lose all buyer protection once it is reshipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

Not enrolled that I know of.  I list everything US shipping only, so I've never looked into the program.  

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

Well, 21033 was climbing nicely in price on Ebay. Was up to around $60. Then someone has to list 98 of them $57 each...

A double whammy. Buyers see that quantity and they will figure that they have forever to buy it as soon as they are good and ready.

• Like 2