Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

14 minutes ago, Mr_Coat said:

I've initiated the return process and been in contact back and forth with the seller. Is that a different process?

Othrwise, it looks like I have to wait a few more days before I can ask eBay to step in

yes, that's the standard process. After you open the case, ebay will allow seller a week to respond to see if you both can reach an agreement. If seller can't solve your issue during a week time, ebay associate will step in and make the decision. Per what you described, it is an obvious NAD case so you should win and seller will be responsible for the return label.

2 hours ago, KShine said:

We often give seemingly deceptive sellers way too much credit - Sometimes a seller who appears to be intentionally misleading, is really just stupid.

can be readily confirmed one way or another by simply seeing what elese they have for sale and/or Ebay history...any seller who is selling LEGO on any regular basis is definitely intentionally  misleading.  That said one more rant about the fools w/ hyped up shipping prices...this irks me so much when the ebucks promo hits since the shipping price is not included ("you're just doing yourself a gross mis-service...stop it!".

I once new a man who owned a used car lot.  One day he arrived onsite to open the lot and discovered that one of his cars had been stolen during the night.  He was enraged, depressed, and scared.  Later that morning his mentor arrived onsite and I overheard their conversation.

The mentor said "Relax....your lost your first car.  And I guarantee you it won't be your last stolen car.  Risk is part of the business.  Don't take it personally.  Keep emotion out of it.  Work hard to minimize risk and get better."  I try to remember that advice. 

Ebay is my strongest and best retail market.  Humans make mistakes and eventually I'll make a mistake and so will my buyers.  I recently shipped two sets to a buyer who claimed there was only one set in the box when it arrived.  I knew for certain I shipped both boxes so I assume a theft at the doorstep, Fedex or the Fedex Drop-off location (Walgreens).   I forced myself to stay calm and I explained the above to the buyer.  I asked for pics of the box and packing material, explaining that I was going to open a Fedex claim.  I told the buyer I was sorry - he paid for two sets and only got one, and I offered to refund him for the missing set.  (one set was about 15" long and the other was 10" long - both good size).  

About 2 hours later the buyer emailed me.  They were at the hospital.  The package was a gift.  When the kid opened the box and saw the big set he got so excited, he left the other set in the shipping box wrapped in paper, set it aside and never noticed the 2nd set which was under the bed.  So they found the missing set and everything was fine.  This type of thing has happened to me before because I wrap things very well.

Edited by enotoga
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, enotoga said:

I once new a man who owned a used car lot.  One day he arrived onsite to open the lot and discovered that one of his cars had been stolen during the night.  He was enraged, depressed, and scared.  Later that morning his mentor arrived onsite and I overheard their conversation.

The mentor said "Relax....your lost your first car.  And I guarantee you it won't be your last stolen car.  Risk is part of the business.  Don't take it personally.  Keep emotion out of it.  Work hard to minimize risk and get better."  I try to remember that advice. 

Ebay is my strongest and best retail market.  Humans make mistakes and eventually I'll make a mistake and so will my buyers.  I recently shipped two sets to a buyer who claimed there was only one set in the box when it arrived.  I knew for certain I shipped both boxes so I assume a theft at the doorstep, Fedex or the Fedex Drop-off location (Walgreens).   I forced myself to stay calm and I explained the above to the buyer.  I asked for pics of the box and packing material, explaining that I was going to open a Fedex claim.  I told the buyer I was sorry - he paid for two sets and only got one, and I offered to refund him for the missing set.  (one set was about 15" long and the other was 10" long - both good size).  

About 2 hours later the buyer emailed me.  They were at the hospital.  The package was a gift.  When the kid opened the box and saw the big set he got so excited, he left the other set in the shipping box wrapped in paper, set it aside and never noticed the 2nd set which was under the bed.  So they found the missing set and everything was fine.  This type of thing has happened to me before because I wrap things very well.

Cool story. Needs more dragons. ?

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 1:55 PM, enotoga said:

Felt this way the first time someone claimed an item broken / missing pieces etc.  Now I'm not bothered, dont waste any time dwelling on it and simply ask them to return it for a full refund including postage costs both ways.  80% dont return it for a refund.  

Edited by MoHu

• 2 weeks later...

10 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2019/1004/coupon10.html

image.thumb.png.74bda3f8cb3e3ecc9bc9f060aca90c02.png

Sell $30+, Get a $10 Coupon

Must not be only for new sellers, as it worked for me. But as always, ymmv

I received a promotion this morning for FVF maxing out at $20 for 5 items. Too bad I don't really sell items priced at a point for which that would be useful. 

Not really a fruitcake but...

im buying four funko pops from one seller.  I asked if they would give a shipping discount.  i figure shipping one costs about $4 and shipping all four together would cost about $9 so they’re saving about $7.  i literally would’ve been happy with a $1 discount.  they weren’t rude, but simply said they don’t offer discounts.

Now, just out of spite, i think i’m going to order all four on different days so they ship separately.  If i’m not getting any savings, neither is the seller!  that’ll show ‘em

• Haha 3

On 10/11/2019 at 5:30 PM, superlegolover said:

with ebay is charging sales tax now, just wonder if the shipping cost is included when calculate the tax just like they did for the fvf

asdas.thumb.jpg.65a432ec3400df6331d356344ce1f064.jpg

Looks to be on the price only. So an accurate calculated shipping cost will be cheaper for the buyer than "free shipping" of the same price, in any state that eBay is collecting sales tax from.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

Looks to be on the price only. So an accurate calculated shipping cost will be cheaper for the buyer than "free shipping" of the same price, in any state that eBay is collecting sales tax from.

Thanks. Guess I am going to separate the shipping cost from some of my high $ listings 

On 10/15/2019 at 6:54 AM, brickvoyeur said:

This is a flashback to when there was no FVF on Shipping and Sellers would list items for $1 and backload the cost onto the shipping to avoid the I think it was 6% fee back then. Will be interesting to watch for creative listings. 

As a seller based in a state with no changes to take effect at least through 2019, am I still required to charge a destination tax for out-of-state buyers who live in a state impacted by these changes?  Or are buyers exempt from paying tax since my state is not requiring sales tax to be collected?

Example:  California buyer (sales tax collection state effective 10/1/19) purchases from Georgia seller (no sales tax collection state).  Does Georgia seller need to charge sales tax if CA is a destination tax state?  

Edited by carini26