Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

7 minutes ago, carini26 said:

As a seller based in a state with no changes to take effect at least through 2019, am I still required to charge a destination tax for out-of-state buyers who live in a state impacted by these changes?  Or are buyers exempt from paying tax since my state is not requiring sales tax to be collected?

Example:  California buyer (sales tax collection state effective 10/1/19) purchases from Georgia seller (no sales tax collection state).  Does Georgia seller need to charge sales tax if CA is a destination tax state?  

If a buyer is in one of the 34 states it auto charges them.  Nothing you do on your end at all.  It's all taken care of.  You never see the money.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

If a buyer is in one of the 34 states it auto charges them.  Nothing you do on your end at all.  It's all taken care of.  You never see the money.

The fun part is that it charges you the tax rate applicable to the state of the seller. I just bought a lot from a TN-based seller and got charged 8.05% tax (my local tax rate is 7%). So it is as if I drove to TN and purchased in a store there. Just something to keep in mind (and it does make those IL-based sellers with their 11% tax a little less desirable :) ).

8 minutes ago, Phil B said:

The fun part is that it charges you the tax rate applicable to the state of the seller. I just bought a lot from a TN-based seller and got charged 8.05% tax (my local tax rate is 7%). So it is as if I drove to TN and purchased in a store there. Just something to keep in mind (and it does make those IL-based sellers with their 11% tax a little less desirable :) ).

I believe this is incorrect the tax is based on the buyers state. the tax is applied based on the buyers shipping location not the seller location and is remitted to the buyers state not the sellers. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Brickshopper said:

I believe this is incorrect the tax is based on the buyers state. the tax is applied based on the buyers shipping location not the seller location and is remitted to the buyers state not the sellers. 

You are correct!

Actually, tax _IS_ calculated over shipping as well ... I paid $99.99 plus $14.99 in shipping, and was charged $8.05 in tax (7% of $114.98).

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

You are correct!

Actually, tax _IS_ calculated over shipping as well ... I paid $99.99 plus $14.99 in shipping, and was charged $8.05 in tax (7% of $114.98).

Still not seeing this issue, at least for Maryland. 6% tax on the item total, nothing on the shipping. Order is from Deleware, which has no sales tax. I also looked at listings from states with higher tax rates and I am still being charged 6% and nothing on the shipping. I also found listings within my state to see if that played into things... still only taxed on the sales price, not on the shipping.

8 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Still not seeing this issue, at least for Maryland. 6% tax on the item total, nothing on the shipping. Order is from Deleware, which has no sales tax. I also looked at listings from states with higher tax rates and I am still being charged 6% and nothing on the shipping. I also found listings within my state to see if that played into things... still only taxed on the sales price, not on the shipping.

Perhaps this is a seller setting - I know I have the "Also apply to shipping and handling costs" option checked in all my listings:

image.thumb.png.f719f6803d6c64bccdb9ac546329d922.png

Edited by Phil B

Ok I think I figured it out (thanks @brickvoyeur for the test in PM). This is from an older article (2014) but probably explains it well:

2. State rules regarding shipping taxability are difficult to track.

For sales within one state, most states charge sales tax on shipping and handling, as long as those costs are included in the order.

The following states usually consider charging shipping that is part of an order a taxable activity, regardless of whether sales tax is part of the price or not:

Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Conversely, the following states say shipping charges are not taxable if included in the price:

Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine Maryland (noted exceptions), Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

listing w/ outrageous shipping prices miss out on buyers looking to use Ebucks promos (6%, 8%, or 10%) since that's only applied to price of item and not shipping.

I didn't see the point of doing this as ebay was charging FVF on the total any way.

With the new imposed tax thing, it does make sense to separate the shipping from the item itself, but I agree with you overdone something like this listing will only turn the buyers away 

14 hours ago, superlegolover said:

I didn't see the point of doing this as ebay was charging FVF on the total any way.

With the new imposed tax thing, it does make sense to separate the shipping from the item itself, but I agree with you overdone something like this listing will only turn the buyers away 

it F's up all my searches and I hate them for it...these and all the MF only, or INstructions or Box only, or those damn light sets, and ofcourse the knock-offs! near impossible to simply just search by set #....hate them all...rant over.  sorry.

• Like 2

Just now, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it F's up all my searches and I hate them for it...these and all the MF only, or INstructions or Box only, or those damn light sets, and ofcourse the knock-offs! near impossible to simply just search by set #....hate them all...rant over.  sorry.

Sort out listings under $400 for MFs.

Problem solved.

But you won't see auctions with bids under $400 though...

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to update prices on my Ebay listings: Tells me I need an Age Range for the item now but I can't update the Age range (item specifics unable to update at this time) Contacted CS and they told me I have to cancel because the listing is more then two weeks old? I said this is happening for several listings and they said just cancel and re-post... Is this really the only way to do this!?!?!?!?

1 minute ago, stuco191 said:

Trying to update prices on my Ebay listings: Tells me I need an Age Range for the item now but I can't update the Age range (item specifics unable to update at this time) Contacted CS and they told me I have to cancel because the listing is more then two weeks old? I said this is happening for several listings and they said just cancel and re-post... Is this really the only way to do this!?!?!?!?

I had the same thing happen with the age range issue. I thought it was a problem on my end with something I messed up. Glad to know that Ebay is the fruitcake on this one. 

33 minutes ago, stuco191 said:

You can't do it from seller hub but can do it manually in the revise listing.   If you don't feel like doing that you could do a percentage off promotion instead as it will allow those to work without updating. 

• Like 1

You can't do it from seller hub but can do it manually in the revise listing.   If you don't feel like doing that you could do a percentage off promotion instead as it will allow those to work without updating. 

Thx Raven. Even when I go in manually to revise listing I am unable to edit my older listings. The promo might be w good temporary work around

9 minutes ago, stuco191 said:

Thx Raven. Even when I go in manually to revise listing I am unable to edit my older listings. The promo might be w good temporary work around

not working when you go into the actual item and click on revise listing?  scroll down and usually do the custom one cause none of the preloaded seem to match up exactly and click ad.

just tried another one and it worked fine.   Course I wouldn't doubt it not working for some seeing I have items that are completely unsearchable at the moment.  

item1.png

item2.png

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 1

eBay is a dumpster fire when it comes to their listing tools and constant tweaking. I know I'm preaching to the choir and this is all well-documented on YouTube but they really are clueless when it comes to empowering their sellers to be more efficient when listing products.  It's almost like they want to make it hard on you to sell something.

Oh and the new checkout process is a complete joke.  It's like 4 or 5 clicks to complete a purchase through PayPal.  Amazon is like 1 or 2.  

31 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

eBay is a dumpster fire when it comes to their listing tools and constant tweaking. I know I'm preaching to the choir and this is all well-documented on YouTube but they really are clueless when it comes to empowering their sellers to be more efficient when listing products.  It's almost like they want to make it hard on you to sell something.

Oh and the new checkout process is a complete joke.  It's like 4 or 5 clicks to complete a purchase through PayPal.  Amazon is like 1 or 2.  

eBay management is full of the MBA types who cannot imagine anything beyond the next quarter financial report.

• 2 weeks later...
not working when you go into the actual item and click on revise listing?  scroll down and usually do the custom one cause none of the preloaded seem to match up exactly and click ad.

just tried another one and it worked fine.   Course I wouldn't doubt it not working for some seeing I have items that are completely unsearchable at the moment.  

item1.thumb.png.f83aaee00aaba56117183453f852e076.png

item2.thumb.png.589330f0f72df473ad9edd12a753fb25.png

Sorry Raven forget to reply a while back thx for the help!

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

Anyone notice that searching Lego 21142 on Ebay turns up 13 different sellers all having the exact same listing with 6 available each. And each of the 13 sellers has 0-5 feedback rating... what in the world is going on haha?

Yep. Same with sets 76128, 70419 and 70420. Haven’t looked at what other lego sets the sellers are listing but I bet they would all match up. 

Noticed it earlier when price matching some sets. 

83F85CBF-EE24-43EF-B617-51C8DD06C5BA.png

921A1F79-F3FE-4181-9818-EA7454FE188F.png

Edited by Abelinkin