NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

Welcome to BrickPicker.com.  My name is Ed Mack and along with my brother Jeff, we are the creators of BrickPicker.  We would like to give new members...and some old ones, an opportunity to ask the "stupid" question.  On many forums, the new or inexperienced members will get berated for asking basic or repetitive questions that many veteran site members already know.  Well this forum is the place to ask that silly or dumb question about the site or LEGO collecting and investing.  So ask away, no question is a bad one...

Also, check out the BrickPicker FAQs before asking, it might answer your question.  

PS:  To veteran and experienced members, I expect civil and proper responses.  To new members, no spam please.

Thanks...Ed Mack

• Like 7

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one that I've been wondering for a while. Right below the LEGO news section, there's "Right now on eBay" section. How are these listings chosen, and when a listings reads "PayPal" under it, what does that mean?

They are random eBay LEGO listings and Pay Pal means they accept Pay Pal as payment, not that the others don't.

Putting the MISB 10179 MF in the brickstore would be a hard sacrifice for me. I would never be able to do it. I wonder if anyone, will ever get that many brickpoints. There are only about 8,200,000 brickpoints awarded so far. The most one person has right now is about 20,000. That is a long way to go.

Putting the MISB 10179 MF in the brickstore would be a hard sacrifice for me. I would never be able to do it. I wonder if anyone, will ever get that many brickpoints. There are only about 8,200,000 brickpoints awarded so far. The most one person has right now is about 20,000. That is a long way to go.

They are 2% there.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way on this site to compare the sets that have appreciated the most over the years from best on down? It is great to be able to see what is doing well over the last month, but is there a way to see how sets have performed for the past five years, ten years? And to do this in such a way that you can see the best and worst performers.

Is there a way on this site to compare the sets that have appreciated the most over the years from best on down? It is great to be able to see what is doing well over the last month, but is there a way to see how sets have performed for the past five years, ten years? And to do this in such a way that you can see the best and worst performers.

We are limited by the data that is available (which is still pretty vast and extensive but only based on sales for the last 2 years or so).  You can't create custom lists or slice the data how you like.  But you might like to read this as a starting point:  http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-207-top-20-lego-movers-and-shakers-may-2013/

I'm working on an update for the latest months data at the moment.

Most of my purchases are based around 3 variables:

How old the set is.

How much discount is being offered.

How popular I think set might be.

So in my case a rule of thumb with discounts depends how old and how popular a set might be.

A new set with 30% off would never make the grade as I would need to hold onto it for at least 2 years before any potential returns are made (41999 excluded) and the chances of that set being offered at equal or greater discount in those 2 years are quite likely.

I try to buy 18/24 month old sets at as good a discount I can find, typically 20% or if I'm lucky 30%+

If it's a set that's about to (or already has) end production I will gladly pay full retail. Example being 10217 and 10212.

Stu

• Like 1

Most of my purchases are based around 3 variables:

How old the set is.

How much discount is being offered.

How popular I think set might be.

So in my case a rule of thumb with discounts depends how old and how popular a set might be.

A new set with 30% off would never make the grade as I would need to hold onto it for at least 2 years before any potential returns are made (41999 excluded) and the chances of that set being offered at equal or greater discount in those 2 years are quite likely.

I try to buy 18/24 month old sets at as good a discount I can find, typically 20% or if I'm lucky 30%+

If it's a set that's about to (or already has) end production I will gladly pay full retail. Example being 10217 and 10212.

Stu

What % of a discount is a good rule of thumb on normal sets when you buy? Of course, exclusives and other hard to find sets won't always fit this general rule.

While there is no godo answer the one above is pretty decent.

buying sets that were released 24 months +  on 25%+ discount is the way to go.... especially if they are quite popular overall...

What % of a discount is a good rule of thumb on normal sets when you buy? Of course, exclusives and other hard to find sets won't always fit this general rule.

I would buy a set that is 30% off. But also remember the time factor that is involved. I would buy a set if it was close to retiring. If it just came on the market, then I would not.

This site has a tone of great stuff.

I still think for this site to be really effective it needs to have a place where you can see how profitable sets are over the long term, five or ten years, without you selecting the sets, but rather with their value/profitablity determining their position from best to worst. Yes, I can compare five sets (and this is great), but it is impossible for me to remember the value of every set. I want to see the big picture of individual sets and for that matter themes over the long haul since most, I assume, are in this for just that period of time.

This site has a tone of great stuff.

I still think for this site to be really effective it needs to have a place where you can see how profitable sets are over the long term, five or ten years, without you selecting the sets, but rather with their value/profitablity determining their position from best to worst. Yes, I can compare five sets (and this is great), but it is impossible for me to remember the value of every set. I want to see the big picture of individual sets and for that matter themes over the long haul since most, I assume, are in this for just that period of time.

Over time we will collect data moving forward, but the cost to go back in time will not justify itself.  If we tried to pay for the data from eBay to go back to the year 2000, we would need to pay a few hundred thousand dollars.  The payoff would be extremely small.  We are collecting as many retail prices that we can and for the USA data, we already have over 2 years of data.  I think you can pretty much figure out what you need to from retail until now on the performance of a set.

As far as more reports or data for overall themes or groups of sets, provide me an example of the type of report/data you would like, and I can look to put something together for you.  We are always open to suggestions, but it is quite helpful if you can email me/PM me an example of what you would like to do.

• Like 1

I CANNOT believe ebay wants hundreds of thousands of dollars for some 3 year old data on Lego toys. I can't believe what they charged you guys for your foreign data. It's ridiculous! As if their selling fees weren't bad enough. And all so some CEO somewhere can buy another Ferrari. We. Are. Doomed.