NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

Okay I looked in the FAQ and can't find an answer to my question. What is the deal with the Brickpicker Blogs? Every time I try to reply to the comments for a blog I'm asked to log in, but I'm already logged in since I can see my Brickfolio. If I do try to log in it says that my user name is invalid which lead me to believe the blogs were something separate. I don't see a place to register though.

The blog section is getting an overhaul behind the scenes.  Jeff has been working on a major update to improve the homepage, blogs, and news sections...in addition to the new Brick Classifieds, Brick Watcher and Daily Deals.  The blog section is in a state of limbo until the new template is released, then we will make a push for new content and blog comments/responses.  Thanks.  

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! I've stalked this site for a while and am thinking about starting out investing by buying doubles of sets I like. I also have a question. I want to start a winter village display and the Lego site says the cottage is hard to find at the top of the item page but retired under product summary. How do you tell which is true?

Technically if its retired its even harder to find.

So, assume that sticking to a budget and accurate tracking are handled.

If you were starting today, where would you look for pitfalls? Buying too many small sets, buying only themes and sets you like/not diversified, buying too new of sets, getting antsy on great clearance prices, etc.

I want to get inside the brain of success and follow. Not trying to reinvent the wheel. :)

So, assume that sticking to a budget and accurate tracking are handled.

If you were starting today, where would you look for pitfalls? Buying too many small sets, buying only themes and sets you like/not diversified, buying too new of sets, getting antsy on great clearance prices, etc.

I want to get inside the brain of success and follow. Not trying to reinvent the wheel. :)

Watch out for too old sets too. Try to stay away from Harry Potter for example. That cow has been overmilked and is likely to give you less profit.

Watch out for too old sets too. Try to stay away from Harry Potter for example. That cow has been overmilked and is likely to give you less profit.

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying to stay away from the resale market for buying until I have a better grasp on things, unless I see a great opportunity. It does appear most lines in the 'second tier' (under the legendary sets) have a sweet spot to get out. It's all fascinating.

It's also way more interesting and easier to grasp than the stock market, for me anyhoo.

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying to stay away from the resale market for buying until I have a better grasp on things, unless I see a great opportunity. It does appear most lines in the 'second tier' (under the legendary sets) have a sweet spot to get out. It's all fascinating.

It's also way more interesting and easier to grasp than the stock market, for me anyhoo.

I agree. I started out on the stock market and after 7 months, I lost 12

Newbie question. For sets that are out of stock at Amazon, Target, and/or Walmart, but are still available at lego.com, what does that mean?

Will Amazon and the other stores get them back in stock? 

I'm just trying to figure out if it's just a temporary fluke that Amazon, etc. doesn't have them in stock, or maybe the sets are going to be unavailable everywhere soon, or at least not discounted any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic site and fantastic forum with my appreciation going out to the founders.  There is so much information for someone who is rediscovering their old sets (like me) to those looking for DD in pursuit of sound investing.  As a newbie to the site, I am slowly building out My Brickfolio...and discovering I have a few gems from the 80's/90's.  I was pretty anal as a kid so nearly every set I have is, thankfully, in showroom quality condition including the boxes and instructions. 

Now to the fun question

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic site and fantastic forum with my appreciation going out to the founders.  There is so much information for someone who is rediscovering their old sets (like me) to those looking for DD in pursuit of sound investing.  As a newbie to the site, I am slowly building out My Brickfolio...and discovering I have a few gems from the 80's/90's.  I was pretty anal as a kid so nearly every set I have is, thankfully, in showroom quality condition including the boxes and instructions. 

Now to the fun question

With your 80's sets you will need to do some reseearch to their value, used set from 30 years ago are going to differ in value quite a lot.

Sometimes selling a newly invested set can bring you the same returns within a month and be the same the next year, there is no answer, you are either going to sell sets quickly or hold for a few years. Some sets keep rising, some don't, you need to consider what you strategy is. You could buy 10 small sets, sell them and buy 10 medium size sets, sell them and buy 10 large. maybe you will buy one set invest in another then wish you never sold the first set.

I very much agree, thank you for the response.  I just built out my Brickfolio a few days back.  There are some pretty impressive "paper" returns across several of the sets I hold.  You and I both know these sets are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them...and their age is almost a hindrance for they are not top of mind and top of want lists.  99% chance I don't make a move and try to sell these older sets.  Instead I'll hold for future builds and future generations. 

Speaking of turning small sets into medium ones and medium ones into larger ones, that is my plan with the modern sets.  Hit some low priced doubles and triples and roll that profit forward into larger sets.  I will no doubt strike out and ground out...but hopefully I can be patient, pick my spots, and hit with a solid average.  Right now I'm trying to get my hands on a few more RI (Research Institutes) and turn them for a nice holiday profit. Those will be my 5 - 10 small sets that turn into 5 - 10 medium sets and so on.  And that set will most assuredly be the set that "maybe you will buy one set invest in another then wish you never sold the first set."

And on the really good news front....I bought the T1 Camper and my wife became addicted and put it together!  She is now hooked...which will be very useful in helping fuel my reengaged hobby and investment hobby.

-Kid

• 1 month later...