NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

Hello all! Getting interested in this as a hobby and have purchased a few sets online this week.

All have arrived new in sealed boxes, but showing small bits of wear and tear from the shipping. Dulled corners, a few small corner crumples and one box has a bit of a crease to it.

So, definitely not mint, but still certainly new and not in dismal condition. It's spot on what you'd expect from shipping anything other than something "collectible" where mint condition matters.

I tried searching the forum and was having trouble finding an answer. Generally speaking... am I hosed on resale value if I have a sealed, good condition, non-mint box? I'm quickly seeing the value of buying in-person whenever possible. Just wondering if I should return these and start hunting for deals in stores (which is going to take a LOT longer where I am).

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I joined this forum two days ago, because I want to start investing in Lego. I've been a Lego fanatic since my childhood, my brother and I had around 35 kg in the end and countless hours and years of fun. Unfortunately all parts were mixed up in the end, building instructions were missing and when I tried to build as many sets as possible to sell them, nearly each of them was missing a few parts. It would have taken weeks to buy the missing bricks, sort everything and put it all on Ebay, so we sold all of it all together. Made a few bucks with that, but not nearly enough. 

Last year my girlfriend bought me the Superstardestroyer for my birthday which kind of reactivated my passion and well, here I am. I think I won't buy sets to build them though. My girlfriend doesn't like them and I would run out of space very fast. Also the dust is kind of a pain in the ***. Maybe at some point I buy a showcase for a few chosen sets. 

Or I have to become a father of a son. Building Lego again all day long would be awesome. 

What I still have is the old pirate ship 6286. Again, no instructions and some minor parts are missing, the sails are not in the best condition, but it was one of my first big sets and I still love it. Wondering what I would get for it if I sold it ... 

Anyway, thanks for reading. 

Regards,

Peacecamper

Edited by Peacecamper

Hello everybody.

first of all, what a great webpage - so much great info.

I have started my collection, it was made a lot easier with this webpage. My first buys include; 7597 Toy story 3 western train, 7747 City Wind Turbine Truck, 8038 Star Wars Battle of Endor and 8472 Racers Mud 'n' street Racer - all for a total of 300 USD. I think I should be able to change that into a profit. :cool:

Anyway, the reason for this post is as follows; I managed to get my hands on to an old box from 1996, box 2100. There is no info on this box on brick picker. Do you have ideas where to find more info on this particular set?

let me hear what you guys think

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1423 (1).jpg

So here's my newbie question...we have several Monster Fighter sets...all of them are missing pieces.  Well now that my son really wants to own, collect and display the entire set we are on a mission to collect everything.  I have what the retail values were but how can i make sure the price they are being sold for now is reasonable?  For example a complete opened previously assembles 13 piece set is on Ebay right now for starting bid of 899 but some pieces have been glued.  Doesn't that detract from the value or is that still a good price?

So here's my newbie question...we have several Monster Fighter sets...all of them are missing pieces.  Well now that my son really wants to own, collect and display the entire set we are on a mission to collect everything.  I have what the retail values were but how can i make sure the price they are being sold for now is reasonable?  For example a complete opened previously assembles 13 piece set is on Ebay right now for starting bid of 899 but some pieces have been glued.  Doesn't that detract from the value or is that still a good price?

Glued pieces definitely destroy some of the value, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Hello,

I joined this forum two days ago, because I want to start investing in Lego. I've been a Lego fanatic since my childhood, my brother and I had around 35 kg in the end and countless hours and years of fun. Unfortunately all parts were mixed up in the end, building instructions were missing and when I tried to build as many sets as possible to sell them, nearly each of them was missing a few parts. It would have taken weeks to buy the missing bricks, sort everything and put it all on Ebay, so we sold all of it all together. Made a few bucks with that, but not nearly enough. 

Last year my girlfriend bought me the Superstardestroyer for my birthday which kind of reactivated my passion and well, here I am. I think I won't buy sets to build them though. My girlfriend doesn't like them and I would run out of space very fast. Also the dust is kind of a pain in the ***. Maybe at some point I buy a showcase for a few chosen sets. 

Or I have to become a father of a son. Building Lego again all day long would be awesome. 

What I still have is the old pirate ship 6286. Again, no instructions and some minor parts are missing, the sails are not in the best condition, but it was one of my first big sets and I still love it. Wondering what I would get for it if I sold it ... 

Anyway, thanks for reading. 

Regards,

Peacecamper

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=6286-1

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid Question:  I have a Brickset account and I love that I can sync that with this website.  I thought about only using this website for my collection but I like that Brickset has a iOS app to make it easy to manage.  So I have a small amount of my collection put into my Brickset database and synced that over.  Now I am adding more to Brickset but I can't find a way to update sync my data on Brick Picker.  Is there a way to sync the two databases again without having to delete my current database on Brick Picker and start from scratch?  I really like that I can put what condition the sets are in on here but if I have to delete the database every time I need to update the list from Brickset I won't be able to track the collection that way.  Hope this make sense.  I am just trying to find the best way to track the growing collection and its value for insurance purposes.

Thank you,

KTRogue

Stupid Question:  I have a Brickset account and I love that I can sync that with this website.  I thought about only using this website for my collection but I like that Brickset has a iOS app to make it easy to manage.  So I have a small amount of my collection put into my Brickset database and synced that over.  Now I am adding more to Brickset but I can't find a way to update sync my data on Brick Picker.  Is there a way to sync the two databases again without having to delete my current database on Brick Picker and start from scratch?  I really like that I can put what condition the sets are in on here but if I have to delete the database every time I need to update the list from Brickset I won't be able to track the collection that way.  Hope this make sense.  I am just trying to find the best way to track the growing collection and its value for insurance purposes.

Thank you,

KTRogue

The import from Brickset feature only works when you're brickfolio is empty.

Hi,

My name is Ikonhero. I'm new, just discovered this site. I'm looking to get back into Lego, but this time by collecting some sealed sets from the 1980's (when it all started for me really). I was wondering if it is ok to post links to Ebay auctions on this forum to get some advice on prices. I noticed the prices tend to get funky on Ebay as it comes to old and sealed sets.

thank you!

• Like 1

Hi,

My name is Ikonhero. I'm new, just discovered this site. I'm looking to get back into Lego, but this time by collecting some sealed sets from the 1980's (when it all started for me really). I was wondering if it is ok to post links to Ebay auctions on this forum to get some advice on prices. I noticed the prices tend to get funky on Ebay as it comes to old and sealed sets.

thank you!

Hello and welcome.

Posting to links is OK but be careful because if it's a good price you might generate more interest. There is a forum topic geared towards asking members about whether it's a good deal or not. It would be a good place to post questions about the set and the price.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9314-deal-or-no-deal-open-discussion/?page=1

If you have a specific set that you think may generate a lot of questions/follow up, then some members start their own topic in the Buying & Selling > The Deal or No Deal Forum.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Poly 30286 said:

A couple questions:

1. How do I write a blog on this site?

2. Is there already a set nickname/abbreviation decoder list? If not, can I make and post one?

#1 - read this thread. Blog articles are intended to be helpful to the LEGO investing community and there was some good discussions about what to write, not to write, etc. http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/15187-help-wanted-brickpicker-news-team/?page=1

Hi there, I have just got back into collecting Lego and am amazed how far it has come! I've purchased a few sets and have been lucky enough to get some awesome sets for my birthday.

So far I have collected:

10240 - UCS SW Red Five

10220 - VW T1 Camper

21108 - Ecto-1

75060 - UCS SW Slave 1

I have just bought a second 10240 on the lego black Friday deal to keep sealed in its box. Hopefully that was the right thing to do!?

I can't wait to get some more sets, but first I will have to build the ones I have! I can see how this interest could get very expensive!!

1 hour ago, deivs001 said:

How fast my posts will be visible to others?

Hi deivs001 .. It all depends. Once you pass the three post approval process, they will show up immediately. Unfortunately, it's harder to approve new posts when you're mobile so the mods and admins don't always get to it it immediately. :)

2 hours ago, gregpj said:

Hi deivs001 .. It all depends. Once you pass the three post approval process, they will show up immediately. Unfortunately, it's harder to approve new posts when you're mobile so the mods and admins don't always get to it it immediately. :)

And I was hopping for fase replay for my itching būt or leave. 

5 minutes ago, deivs001 said:

And I was hopping for fase replay for my itching būt or leave. 

The 3 post approval system is to prevent bots from spamming the forums or from people signing on an trying to sell/promote stuff in the forums without approval. You're past it now, so any more itches will be seen much faster! :)